Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have To Tell A Guard.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

hondasam wrote: »
    Throwing the cig out the window was a bit silly tbh, How did he know what speed you were doing?

He had a speedometer in his hand, obvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

But if he was driving while taking your speed the speedometer couldn't give an accurate result. Theory of relativity and all that (unless those machines compensate for the difference...?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

MagicSean wrote: »
    That was wrong of him. He should have just fined you for littering.

Many times I've seen drunks going home or to clubs throwing cigarette butts onto the ground a few feet away from guards on Camden street in Dublin who obviously saw it and ignored it . It's sometimes easy to forget that such a thing as law and order exists in this country going by observations rather than my own behaviour that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

These work at night ? He was just driving along with a speedometer in his hand hoping to see a few cars.
    They allow a bit more over than 7 over btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Seachmall wrote: »
    But if he was driving while taking your speed the speedometer couldn't give an accurate result. Theory of relativity and all that (unless those machines compensate for the difference...?).

They must do because he had this device in his hand. Just thought it was a bit unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

He would have had to stop the car and point the speed gun at you. If he went to that bother then you must have passed him at a much higher speed.

psychward wrote: »
    Many times I've seen drunks going home or to clubs throwing cigarette butts onto the ground a few feet away from guards on Camden street in Dublin who obviously saw it and ignored it . It's sometimes easy to forget that such a thing as law and order exists in this country going by observations rather than my own behaviour that is.

Part of their job is to keep the situation calm. Arguing with a drunk about a cigarette butt could easily cause problems. I think discretion in those minor matters is important.

Plus, we all complain enough about "Have they not got better things to be doing" and then turn around and complain about a cigarette butt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Yeah I suppose you should have to answer these questions , but without sounding a bit to pedantic , its how they ask them . for example one time i was walking home from UCD quite late as I had missed the last bus and I was about half way home so it was about 12, O clock , 2 gards pull up and one says where you going , so I say "just heading home" .. he replies "where you coming from" so i say UCD , ....."and why are you coming home so late" .. i thought that was bit much but i say "I missed the last bus and im walking home" and if that wasnt bad enough he said "
    and why did you miss the last bus ...what were ye doin" so I said that i was just out with some mates and lost track of time , and he says "alright gwan" so , as if he was letting me off for doing something ??

Ive tried as best I can to portray the thick country accent all of this was directed at me through but its had to convey that via digital media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

facemelter wrote: »
    and why did you miss the last bus ...what were ye doin" so I said that i was just out with some mates and lost track of time , and he says "alright gwan" so , as if he was letting me off for doing something ??

Ive tried as best I can to portray the thick country accent all of this was directed at me through but its had to convey that via digital media

Are you complaining just because he was from the country?? I'd rather a guard with a country accent than a scumbag dublin accent

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Are you complaining just because he was from the country?? I'd rather a guard with a country accent than a scumbag dublin accent

The way I read it he's complaining because the garda was poking his nose in where his nose wasn't welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Catxscotch wrote: »

What does a persons accent have to do with their competency in any job?? Would dealing with a Garda with a dublin accent make you uncomfortable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Laughed when the Gardai pulled over to ask my mate where he was going at 5 in the morning. They weren't long pissing off when he said he had just visited his dad's grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Red21 wrote: »
    It's usually to check if you have been drinking a drop of whiskey

Have you drink taaaaaaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I wouldn't judge all guards but I do think majority of them are d*ckheads.

I was driving along the Malahide road through the Artane roundabout. (1am, Tuesday night).

There wasn't a sinner on the road. There was a guarda car driving towards me as I went through the roundabout. So I was going towards Malahide and he was going towards town. I was like phew, even though I had nothing to hide.

So I'm driving past Clarehall and OUT OF NOWHERE they're now behind me with the sirens going so i pull in. I had just lit a cigarette before this so as he's walking towards my car I throw it out the window. He looks and me and then he looks at the cigarette and says "you just littered", I was like "sorry I just wouldn't have felt comfortable smoking in front of you"

He ended up giving me a fine for speeding, he told me he was "letting me off" on the cigarette...

I was only going 67 on a 60 zone...

What really angered me was the fact that he could tell I was a nervous wreck talking to him, he knew I wasn't on drugs (don't touch the stuff), it was pure boredom, as I said there was no one on the road at that hour and he actually did a U-Turn to follow me. :(

I was also very polite to him so I was shocked he gave me a fine :(

Like why give me a fine when Darndale is on the other side of the wall

............................what's the problem? You were speeding and littering.

I'd be a bit annoyed myself but it's not that big a deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Never trust a guard until he's dead.

Even then, wait till the bastard is buried at least 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Gonzor wrote: »
    I was rushing for a job interview one day about a year or two ago when I got stopped. I wouldnt have minded so much if they werent so bloody rude and condescending about the whole thing.

But they stopped me and started asking why was I was "powerwalking" through town. I told them I had an appointment and I was late. Then they wanted to know where the appointment was. THen they decided I was lying because if I was really going for a job interview Id be wearing a suit and not jeans, shirt and converse and that Id have a CV with me.

SO they did a full search, in the pockets, a pat down, take the shoes and socks off... the whole lot. They held me up by about 20 minutes that day, needless to day I when I got my letter back to tell me I hadnt got the job the main point they made was my time keeping skills :mad:

Im just waiting now for the next guard to stop me, I cant wait.

Got searched going into work one night in 1997 by a detective that was obsessed with me, I was search on sight anytime he spotted me, So all my co-workers were slagging me about it that night and when I turned up a few days later I was sacked as I never declared my single conviction for a nodge of hash (same detective) on my job application.
    Strangely enough I don't hate the man I respect him as in all my dealings with him he never treated me as a scumbag and he actually tried to put sense into me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I wouldn't judge all guards but I do think majority of them are d*ckheads.

I was driving along the Malahide road through the Artane roundabout. (1am, Tuesday night).

There wasn't a sinner on the road. There was a guarda car driving towards me as I went through the roundabout. So I was going towards Malahide and he was going towards town. I was like phew, even though I had nothing to hide.

So I'm driving past Clarehall and OUT OF NOWHERE they're now behind me with the sirens going so i pull in. I had just lit a cigarette before this so as he's walking towards my car I throw it out the window. He looks and me and then he looks at the cigarette and says "you just littered", I was like "sorry I just wouldn't have felt comfortable smoking in front of you"

He ended up giving me a fine for speeding, he told me he was "letting me off" on the cigarette...

I was only going 67 on a 60 zone...

What really angered me was the fact that he could tell I was a nervous wreck talking to him, he knew I wasn't on drugs (don't touch the stuff), it was pure boredom, as I said there was no one on the road at that hour and he actually did a U-Turn to follow me. :(

I was also very polite to him so I was shocked he gave me a fine :(

Like why give me a fine when Darndale is on the other side of the wall

This exact same thing happened to me except i was doing 70 on a 60 road he drove past then pulled up behind me and after a few minutes stopped me. The only conclusion i could come to was he used the speed gun as he was driving behind me but i dunno how that could be legal or how he'd hold it steady

charlemont wrote: »
    Got searched going into work one night in 1997 by a detective that was obsessed with me, I was search on sight anytime he spotted me

Should've started carrying a used condom around with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Depends what you mean by acting suspiciously.

I was out jogging with my brother through Ranelagh a while back. We were both wearing regular jogging gear, and stood on the footpath while I did something with my mobile phone. A Garda car with two Gardai in the front and a trainee (I presume, v.bad acne) in the back pull up. The posse motion to us to come over and have a word with them.

Garda 1: Where ye boys off to?
    Me: We're out jogging.
    Garda 2: Where ye off to?
    Me: We're jogging. We live around here, on ________ Road.
    Garda 2: Do they have any ID's on them?
    Garda 1: Any ID's on ye lads?
    Us: No...
    Garda 1: No wallets even? Lads why do ye have nothing at all?
    Me: Because we're just out jogging. Why would we carry ID's out jogging?
    Garda 2: What are ye're names?
    (We give them our names)
    Garda 1: So how am I supposed to know this is your real name
    Us: You don't. What do you want us to do like?
    Garda 1: Right lads, go off home. I don't want to see ye hangin' around here.
    (Speeds off)

Now to me, that was a bit much. While we were wearing jogging gear (and I understand that sports clothing is the preferred sartorial choice of the hardened criminal) was extremely tenuous to say that we were either loitering or acting suspiciously.

I suspect that that interaction was merely the product of the qualified Garda trying to act like a big man in front of his trainee in the back seat. In my opinion that was an example of a Garda behaving in a manner that was overly intrusive to private citizens going about their business.

While this was a relatively minor irritation to my brother and I, I would suggest that anybody who is genuinely aggrieved at Garda questioning would ask for the Garda's details,and make a formal complaint. The Gardai do actually take complaints seriously and all complaints are recorded and investigated. Some record may be made of the complaint, even if there is insubstantial evidence for disciplining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

mightyreds wrote: »
    This exact same thing happened to me except i was doing 70 on a 60 road he drove past then pulled up behind me and after a few minutes stopped me. The only conclusion i could come to was he used the speed gun as he was driving behind me but i dunno how that could be legal or how he'd hold it steady

:pac:

Maybe he looked at his own speedometer as he followed you at a set distance?

That would not end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mightyreds wrote: »

That's not how they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Freddie59 wrote: »
    ...........where you are going? If there is one thing that really irks me it's when they stop you in your car and ask "where are you going". Then you tell them and they ask you "where are you coming from".

If I'm behaving suspiciously I can understand it, but when you're out for a Sunday afternoon drive or such it seems intrusive to put it mildly.

It annoys me to, but it is to get you talking so they can intuit whether you are drunk, high, nervous etc.

I remember once I was stopped and I was just going for an aimless drive, just out for a drive down to the coast and I said so, nervously as I realised now weird that was at about 11 at night.

So my boot was searched, I blew into the balloon, name and address etc and then I was told to go on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

ThePower11 wrote: »
    They don't know your obeying the law though, you could be on the way to burn down Dail Eireann for all they know.

so if you were on your way to burn the dail down and a cop stops you ,
    you would tell him ?
    please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

dj jarvis wrote: »
    so if you were on your way to burn the dail down and a cop stops you ,
    you would tell him ?
    please
    No, you'd lie and possibly be acting nervous. Maybe fidgeting. Maybe you won't get your story straight because you're making it up on the fly. Cops might become suspicious of you, search your car, find a bomb and save a load of lives.

• Advertisement

LighterGuy wrote: »
    If i'm walking down the road, dressed normal (aka, i dont look like some skanger scumbag) a gardai has no right to ask me where i am going.

But on the other side of the coin if i'm walking down the road, dressed all dark, with my hood up. Walking shifty. Then they are just doing the job.

On the way home from work yesterday i got a bus that isn't my usual one, as mine was gonna be another 10+ mins, and this other bus left me with only a 5 min walk. Anyway, i'd a black scarf and gloves on, and had my hood up as it was freezing, and raining on-and-off and i also had a tube of pringles in one hand. A youngfella stopped me and said something, so i took out the earphones and said "sorry, i didn't catch that". Turns out he wanted a cigarette, so i gave him one and a loan of my lighter to light it.

While he was trying to light it i put the earphones back in, and then he got it lighting, gave me a "thumbs up" by way of thanks, and walked off. Less than 5 steps down the road, an unmarked Garda car pulls onto the footpath, puts on the blue flashers built into the headlights and signals me over. Conversation went like this.....

Guard: Whats your name?
    Me: Gives surname

Guard: Have you got a fcuking first name Mr. *surname*
    Me: Gives full name

Guard: Where do you live?
    Me: Gives address

Guard: Who's that fella you were talking to?
    Me: I dunno, i was just giving him a smoke *gestures with box of cigarettes still in left hand*

Guard: And whats in the pringles box?
    Me: *looks at pringles tube in right hand*.........*looks back at copper*......."eh........pringles"

The other three in the back of the car burst their holes laughing.

Guard: Carry on, so. *drives off*

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

My two older brothers got pulled over by a unmarked gardai car this afternoon as they were driving into my estate! :mad: ... yes. re-read that, as they were driving into my estate. Thats not the kicker tho, one of the two gardai said "they looked nervous" hence why they pulled them over :rolleyes: .. HOW IN THE FUCK CAN A PERSON LOOK NERVOUS DRIVING A CAR INTO AN ESTATE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON!?

But they of course got asked the whole lot, names, date of birth, even searched the eldest bro's car. Other brother was smoking and what did he get outta the guard? "you havent got any hash on you, do you?" :mad: as he examined the cigerette box. Oh but of course they both had to empty their pockets too :mad: .. my brothers aint a pair of 19yo skanger looking scumbags. they're regular working blokes in the bloody 30s.

FFS! .... doing anything to get a fucking charge huh?

My two older brothers got pulled over by a unmarked gardai car this afternoon as they were driving into my estate! :mad: ... yes. re-read that, as they were driving into my estate. Thats not the kicker tho, one of the two gardai said "they looked nervous" hence why they pulled them over :rolleyes: .. HOW IN THE FUCK CAN A PERSON LOOK NERVOUS DRIVING A CAR INTO AN ESTATE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON!?

But they of course got asked the whole lot, names, date of birth, even searched the eldest bro's car. Other brother was smoking and what did he get outta the guard? "you havent got any hash on you, do you?" :mad: as he examined the cigerette box. Oh but of course they both had to empty their pockets too :mad: .. my brothers aint a pair of 19yo skanger looking scumbags. they're regular blokes in the bloody 30s.

FFS! .... doing anything to get a fucking charge huh?

You need more exclamation points in this post.

I like how you assume only people who look like skangers commit crimes.

You need more exclamation points in this post.

I like how you assume only people who look like skangers commit crimes.

Ok, how in the fucking hell can you justify two guards pulling over two people as they drive into an estate in the middle of the day, searching them and the car?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? .... that enough exclamation points for you, is it? or you just wanna be a smart arse trying to get the most thanks... or do you actually have something to add?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My two older brothers got pulled over by a unmarked gardai car this afternoon as they were driving into my estate! :mad: ... yes. re-read that, as they were driving into my estate.

I presume you have your own gated secure 100 acre estate? Otherwise why does it matter that they were driving into it? Seems like a safe time to pull them over?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    I presume you have your own gated secure 100 acre estate? Otherwise why does it matter that they were driving into it? Seems like a safe time to pull them over?

So .. if a gardai stopped you as you were driving into your estate. asked you to step out, empty your pockets, they search the car. get all your details. You'd be "yes mister gardai, no problem sure" ... but would you actually be pissed off at the same time? .. even in the slightest.

So .. if a gardai stopped you as you were driving into your estate. asked you to step out, empty your pockets, they search the car. get all your details. You'd be "yes mister gardai, no problem sure" ... but would you actually be pissed off at the same time? .. even in the slightest.
    Unless they guards know it's your estate, it's just an estate.

humanji wrote: »
    Unless they guards know it's your estate, it's just an estate.

urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
    My point was .. they werent stopped on a main road. they were stopped coming into a place, a built up estate here in Dublin, during broad daylight. Going into an estate generally means going to your home, family, friends, making a delivery or what ever the fuck. We are talking at 2pm. Not 2am.

But Humanji,
    so you are saying its alright for a gardai to stop your car, search you and the contents of your car as you are driving into your estate? ... because by your post. thats what you just said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

One of the first times I got searched I had a condom in my pocket and the cops all laughed and said "Are you hoping to get lucky tonight ?".

Garda humour is a fine art, Its better than any comedy show.

Ok, how in the fucking hell can you justify two guards pulling over two people as they drive into an estate in the middle of the day, searching them and the car?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? .... that enough exclamation points for you, is it? or you just wanna be a smart arse trying to get the most thanks... or do you actually have something to add?

What's so special about your estate?

My point was .. they werent stopped on a main road. they were stopped coming into a place, a built up estate here in Dublin, during broad daylight. Going into an estate generally means going to your home, family, friends, making a delivery or what ever the fuck. We are talking at 2pm. Not 2am.

But Humanji,
    so you are saying its alright for a gardai to stop your car, search you and the contents of your car as you are driving into your estate? ... because by your post. thats what you just said.

Wow, you certainly can read a lot into a post that doesn't say anything you claim it does. The guards didn't know that was their estate. But sure, I guess no crime happens during the day and no crime happens in estates because only people who live there could possibly enter into them.

humanji wrote: »
    Wow, you certainly can read a lot into a post that doesn't say anything you claim it does. The guards didn't know that was their estate. But sure, I guess no crime happens during the day and no crime happens in estates because only people who live there could possibly enter into them.

I'll say it again:

But Humanji,

care to avoid it the second time? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Me: Well I just did this quick post office job and I'm off to the hide out.
    Cop: Sure that's grand, just put yer seatbelt on, and renew de tax when ya have a chance.
    Me: sure thing boss, by the way, how's Mary.
    Cop: Ahhh, the clap is makin' her a bit itchy, but sure it'll pass.
    Etc.

But Humanji,

Most house burglaries are committed during the afternoon these days.

I'll say it again:

But Humanji,

And I say again, the guards didn't know that was their estate. But sure, I guess no crime happens during the day and no crime happens in estates because only people who live there could possibly enter into them.

...because by your post. thats what you just said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

I'll say it again:

But Humanji,

Read Section 23 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1977/84.

Your estate is not exempt

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Of course I would. However I don't expect the Guards to know where everybody lives and where everyone's family live also.

Apparently you think the guards should have know in advance where you live and also know who your family are? Maybe they agree and were stopping your brothers to get to know them?

They'll probably have to stop everyone in and out of your estate now for a while though to learn everyone's name etc. I guess they'll also have to stop any strangers to keep your estate secure also.

... and yet. i havent heard a single person say they'd be ok with getting pulled over, getting searched, the car searched too, all details given and the rest in my original post.

So all of you's are just spouting 100%, Grade A, bullshit.
    Because you wanna bitch and moan about an "estate" ... Rather than say anything about the big bad police men :( ... or probably more importantly state a clear and blatant lie that you would be ok with the guards doing the above :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Here's a link that might answer some of the questions asked here!
    http://www.wearechange.ie/you-dont-have-to-talk-to-the-gardai-ever/

A garda does not have to justify himself to you. If he makes a lawful demand for your details he does not have to explain his reasoning to you.

Quoted from the link:
    To be randomly stopped and/or questioned by a Garda is an abuse of privacy and deprivation of personal liberty. You are entitled to walk the street without question or prevention by a Garda, unless your actions or conduct are such that there is provision in law relevant to your behaviour to stop and question you.

So what do you "yes sir mister garda man, oh nice shoes, want me to shine em? oh want me to suck you off too" ... type of people, say to that.

Quoted from the link:

So what do you "yes sir mister garda man, oh nice shoes, want me to shine em? oh want me to suck you off too" ... type of people, say to that.

That's a cruel thing to say about your brother and his friend. I'm sure they were just being cooperative.

That's a cruel thing to say about your brother and his friend. I'm sure they were just being cooperative.

hahahahhahaha
    you're so funny! you know that. Hope you get lots of thanks for that post :) after all, it was a thanks whore post :)

Man you're funny, almost as funny as the simple fact that the only experience you have with the gardai is watching them on the rte1 news.... tell me im wrong ;) ... in fact get back with some bullshit about how there was this time and and and ... :rolleyes:

hahahahhahaha
    you're so funny! you know that. Hope you get lots of thanks for that post :) after all, it was a thanks whore post :)

Man you're funny, almost as funny as the simple fact that the only experience you have with the gardai is watching them on the rte1 news.... tell me im wrong ;) ... in fact get back with some bullshit about how there was this time and and and ... :rolleyes:

You are indeed wrong

• Advertisement

... and yet. i havent heard a single person say they'd be ok with getting pulled over, getting searched, the car searched too, all details given and the rest in my original post.

So all of you's are just spouting 100%, Grade A, bullshit.
    Because you wanna bitch and moan about an "estate" ... Rather than say anything about the big bad police men :( ... or probably more importantly state a clear and blatant lie that you would be ok with the guards doing the above :rolleyes:

Actually, people are just pointing out that an estate is an estate, and not exempt from law enforcement. I'm at a loss as to why you think it should be. Why should it be perfectly fine for the police to stop people in other areas?

Advertisement