Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have To Tell A Guard.......

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

LighterGuy wrote: »
    ... and yet. i havent heard a single person say they'd be ok with getting pulled over, getting searched, the car searched too, all details given and the rest in my original post.

I wouldn't mind, if I felt they had a realistic reason to.

You are just pissed off because they were pulling in to a family members estate. The cops did not know or care about this, they may have judged them from their car, their appearance, or the area the house is in.

I love how so many people get so up in arms about answering a few simple questions to a gard. At the end of the day, who the hell do you think you are? Some people have some serious superiority complexes going on.

I for one am delighted so many are being stopped and questioned. Might bring down the number of scum and crime occurring on the streets.

Anytime a gard questions me I engage them in polite conversation and am always briskly on my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PaulKK wrote: »

Anytime a gard questions me I engage them in polite conversation and am always briskly on my way.
    And so should everyone, because it's the best way to be let go about your business.

But the point is, why should you have to? Are the streets so overrun by criminals that it's a safe bet anyone out on them is up to no good? Is it ok that we now have a system of guilty until proven innocent? Is that the way the legal system should be run?

It's tough to balance the rights of people with the ability to protect them. It may be better to err on the side of caution, but that doesn't mean people must be happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

PaulKK wrote: »
    I for one am delighted so many are being stopped and questioned. Might bring down the number of scum and crime occurring on the streets.

Ok,
    But what if you were walking down the street. get stopped. have to empty your pockets. answer a series of questions.

Say it takes up 15 mins of your time. A inconvience you have to admit. But, you honestly saying you would just walk briskly away? .. and not be annoyed? again, even in the slightest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

MagicSean wrote: »
    You are indeed wrong

Highly doubt im wrong.
    I reckon you are drawing on a memory to when you were a teenager, or perhaps on a night out as a man where a guard just asked you "where you off to lads?" ... you replied ... that was it.

Or perhaps, maybe you are recalling an 'experience' where you rang the guards in relation to something been done against you... judging that as "hands on" experience with the gardai (LOL)

or perhaps, this is the internet after all, you are trying to come off as having experience with gardai in a negitive way. But its all fiction.

door 1, 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Highly doubt im wrong.
    I reckon you are drawing on a memory to when you were a teenager, or perhaps on a night out as a man where a guard just asked you "where you off to lads?" ... you replied ... that was it.

Or perhaps, this is the internet after all, maybe you are recalling an 'experience' where you rang the guards in relation to something been done against you... judging that as "hands on" experience with the gardai (LOL)

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

humanji wrote: »
    And so should everyone, because it's the best way to be let go about your business.

But the point is, why should you have to? Are the streets so overrun by criminals that it's a safe bet anyone out on them is up to no good? Is it ok that we now have a system of guilty until proven innocent? Is that the way the legal system should be run?

It's tough to balance the rights of people with the ability to protect them. It may be better to err on the side of caution, but that doesn't mean people must be happy about it.

No, but not all criminals are walking around with stripey jumpers and swag bags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

humanji wrote: »

I get what you are saying, but I don't get the indignation of some people about answering a simple question. There may be several reasons for the cop asking it. There have been some serious notions of self importance in this thread. Its not a question of people being guilty until proven innocent, but its a question of cops doing their job.

In my opinion, you are not going to be stopped without a reason for the gard having some sort of suspicion. You and your pals may be good people, but if you are walking or driving somewhere and a gard wants to ask a few questions, work away. They usually have their reasons, they don't want any grief as much as you don't want any.

Ok,
    But what if you were walking down the street. get stopped. have to empty your pockets. answer a serious of questions.

Say it takes up 15 mins of your time. A inconvience you have to admit. But, you honestly saying you would just walk briskly away? .. and not be annoyed? again, even in the slightest?

I wouldn't mind. Honestly. I have nothing to hide, and I bet you if I cooperated fully and complied with what I was asked, I would be delayed no longer than a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge all guards but I do think majority of them are d*ckheads.

I was driving along the Malahide road through the Artane roundabout. (1am, Tuesday night).

There wasn't a sinner on the road. There was a guarda car driving towards me as I went through the roundabout. So I was going towards Malahide and he was going towards town. I was like phew, even though I had nothing to hide.

So I'm driving past Clarehall and OUT OF NOWHERE they're now behind me with the sirens going so i pull in. I had just lit a cigarette before this so as he's walking towards my car I throw it out the window. He looks and me and then he looks at the cigarette and says "you just littered", I was like "sorry I just wouldn't have felt comfortable smoking in front of you"

He ended up giving me a fine for speeding, he told me he was "letting me off" on the cigarette...

I was only going 67 on a 60 zone...

What really angered me was the fact that he could tell I was a nervous wreck talking to him, he knew I wasn't on drugs (don't touch the stuff), it was pure boredom, as I said there was no one on the road at that hour and he actually did a U-Turn to follow me. :(

I was also very polite to him so I was shocked he gave me a fine :(

Like why give me a fine when Darndale is on the other side of the wall

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Are you complaining just because he was from the country?? I'd rather a guard with a country accent than a scumbag dublin accent

FFS.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

thebullkf wrote: »
    FFS.

That is all.
    Your right. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Guard: Who's that fella you were talking to?
    Me: I dunno, i was just giving him a smoke *gestures with box of cigarettes still in left hand* why dont you go over and ask him.

FYP !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If i'm walking down the road, dressed normal (aka, i dont look like some skanger scumbag) a gardai has no right to ask me where i am going.

But on the other side of the coin if i'm walking down the road, dressed all dark, with my hood up. Walking shifty. Then they are just doing the job.

:rolleyes: So in your world I could build the worlds most succesful mafia empire by always making sure Im always dressed up to the nines before I go out and maybe send out a couple of tracksuit clad decoys ahead of me just to make sure ?

The perfect crime !

Advertisement