If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD or LED?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I can read all the websites on this Topic but from looking at them day in, day out and taking everything into account, Picture, Sound, Features, Returns...which would you guys go for??

Personal Opinion!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Hal Emmerich,

First off I better give you the rundown on what each of these are:

LCD TV - (CCFL LCD)

The technology for LCD screens is somewhat different. Each pixel has three colours: red, green and blue. LCD televisions require a backlight. However, the liquid crystals, when energized, block certain colours in the pixels from showing, or at least showing as much. This produces the desired colour. When LCD first was released it was slower moving than Plasma screens however new LCD screens have come out over the years and now most of the mid to higher end LCD's have impressive refresh rates which denote the speed of the screen.

LED TV

An LED TV is a flat panel LCD TV set that uses LEDs (light emitting diodes) for its backlight source rather than the traditional fluorescent lamps (see CCFL ). Smaller, more power efficient and having a greater optical range than the fluorescents, LEDs produce deeper blacks and more saturated color. Although the TV is really an LCD, and the LEDs are secondary components, the industry calls them LED TVs to avoid more drawn-out monikers such as "LED backlit TV" or "LED-based LCD TV."

Full Array or Edge Lit and Full Backlight.
    There are the three LED TV architectures. There can be a small array of LEDs that cover the entire back of the screen, or LEDs can beam light in from the edge and lastly there are the full backlight LED screens with localised dimming. The full array provides uniform light across the screen; however, the case is thicker. In addition, groups of LEDs can be selectively dimmed based on the image in those areas at that moment, although not all full arrays do that, only the full backlight screens.

There's such a massive range in all of these screens that to say LCD or LED would always have better Picture, Sound, Features, Returns, is impossible. There is far more to a TV than LED or LCD.

Also you'll need to decide upon your size and budget. If you let me know this info I can give you a full run through of everything we do that might suit you. And let you know all the differences.

In the meantime feel free to have a browse on our website www.philipsshop.ie.

And of course you can pop in to see us or give us a call instore on (01)4740788.

Thanks a mil, Nicola. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Hi Nicola/guys,

LG 42LV550T and the Panasonic TX-L42E30B

From reviews and spec sheets alone I'm set on one of these. I'm a two hour drive from being able to actually look at them "on" though.:rolleyes:

Which would you recommend?

Have you had any/much complaints with light/haloing around dark objects in dark rooms with these sets???

LED light bleeding in from the sides? How big an issue is this (still)?

Hi Hal

Give the lads in Belfast a buzz on 0044 333 900 0071 and have a chat with them before you travel up.

They'll update you on the best prices and what they have in stock/on display.

Plus be able to answer you questions re LED backlighting on them.

Have a good one

Atb
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Hi Hal

Give the lads in Belfast a buzz on 0044 333 900 0071 and have a chat with them before you travel up.

They'll update you on the best prices and what they have in stock/on display.

Plus be able to answer you questions re LED backlighting on them.

Have a good one

Atb
    Ash
    Jaysus lads, I might as well be talking to Currys.

Soooo, I can't talk to anyone when I ring, all I get is a message "we're busy, we'll get back to you" blah blah blah, I'm still waiting and E-mails don't get replied to either.

What's the stock like on the above?

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Hal,

I've sent you a PM.

Nicola.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.