Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Belfast

Options
  • 08-12-2011 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey, me and my boyfriend of going to Belfast for a few days at the end of December. Havent looked much into it but can anyone recommend things worth doing while there I guess? and any good spots for nightlife perhaps? Any info I'll greatly appreciate :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The bus tours are pretty interesting if you've never been, though they'll be quite cold in December. The dome at the top of the Victoria Square shopping centre has a nice view of the city, and it's free and central. You could take in an ice-hockey game if that was your type of thing, the Giants fixtures are below.

17/12 v Dundee
    23/12 v Edinburgh
    27/12 v Braehead
    30/12 v Cardiff

There are plenty of pubs and clubs on the Dublin Road and Botanic Avenue, I personally like Filthy McNasty's but it won't be to everyones taste I'm sure.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Filthy-McNastys-The-Secret-Garden/116124018487712

• Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

Go to Aunt Sandra's candy shop and do the tour, last about 90 mins and you do a tour and then make some sweets and get to bring them all home.

http://www.auntsandras.com/page/2/the-experience/

Also there is a big christmas market at the town hall at the moment, dont know if it will still be open when you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Aunt Sandra's is kinda out of the way though if you're up for a couple of days. It's near enough the city but awkward to get to if you don't know the area and it's difficult to park near it. It is a nice tour though and the sweets are very nice :D

Are you into sightseeing/historical type stuff or is a shopping/clubbing break you've planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Thanks a mill for all the replies. I've heard them bus doors are good alright so if its not too cold I'll def look into that. I'd like to have a bit of variety i guess bit of sightseeing, shopping and nightlife you know yourself. Is there any ice rink for christmas or anything like that?

There's an ice rink all year round at Dundonald that's open to the public. It's out in the suburbs but if you've a car with you it's pretty easy to get to. There's none in the city centre though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Quite a few nice pubs n restaurants on the Shankill Rd.

Stop trolling CPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

The Ulster museum is good plus the zoo ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kilmac11

I've lived in Belfast for the last 6 months and in fairness its a great city to visit. A taxi or a bus tour is a great way of getting a feel for the city... Ulster museum is free and its well worth a visit. Check out the political poster exhibition in the linen hall library its quite good and its also free, definitely worth a 20 minute look when your in the city centre. Head to botanic avenue for the grub, plenty places to go and all fairly affordable. Check out the Empire music club also on botanic, plenty of good bands (damien dempsey, coronas, damien dempsey all played recently), nice intimate venue.

And you can through stones at the cops if your bored (only jokin)

Enjoy Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

squidgy10 wrote: »
    Go to Aunt Sandra's candy shop and do the tour, last about 90 mins and you do a tour and then make some sweets and get to bring them all home.

http://www.auntsandras.com/page/2/the-experience/

Also there is a big christmas market at the town hall at the moment, dont know if it will still be open when you go.

Definitely on my list of things to do the next time I pop up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Thanks for all the replies you guys. Could you recommend any nightclubs that stay open until half 2 or 3 on a Wednesday and Thursday night? Maybe a club that plays kinda house trance music one night and more of an all round one the other night ( if that exists) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Aileen123 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies you guys. Could you recommend any nightclubs that stay open until half 2 or 3 on a Wednesday and Thursday night? Maybe a club that plays kinda house trance music one night and more of an all round one the other night ( if that exists) :)

Try El Divino. Have never been midweek but gets a great crowd at the weekends.

Advertisement