Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miyamoto stepping down!

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an unexpected one here, but Shiggers is apparenly resigning his current position with Nintendo in order to focus on smaller projects. Not sure what his logic is there, but since it might well mean some new franchises from him I'm kinda excited, if a little disappointed that Nintendo's flagship games are probably gonna take a bit of a dip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Helix wrote:
    Crazy old man steps down so that Zelda franchise can finally evolve under new guidance.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo has more than enough talent to keep making great games. I'd say it's more Miyamoto stepping down from a management position to focus more on games than leaving nintendo, which tbh can only mean better things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo are saying it's BS and that it was a mistranslation/misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

http://kotaku.com/5866218/nintendo-denies-that-marios-creator--is-retiring
    According to Nintendo, this does not mean he is stepping down. "This is absolutely not true," a Nintendo spokesperson told Reuters. "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. He has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation."

"He has no intention of stepping down. Please do not be concerned."

A Nintendo spokesperson also told Bloomberg that Miyamoto will be spending less time in development and more time training young game creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In other news: a translator got fired today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont know if its good or bad...

good, that he will not rehash another nintendo franchise or bad, that he will be multiplying by teaching his own way more young game developers...

Miyamoto has never been one for rehashing games though? The closest he's come was to that was probably only Mario Sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Miyamoto has never been one for rehashing games though? The closest he's come was to that was probably only Mario Sunshine.

I would consider mario galaxy 1 and 2 the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Galaxy 2 is more like an expansion pack than a rehash.

megaten wrote: »
    Galaxy 2 is more like an expansion pack than a rehash.

Miyamoto isn't Nintendo. He hasn't been in anything but an advisory role on a game since Pikmin. He's since been only on a supervisory role or else helping with marketing. I'm guessing he's not happy with that arrangement and wants to ge more active which is what led to this being mis-reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Miyamoto isn't Nintendo. He hasn't been in anything but an advisory role on a game since Pikmin. He's since been only on a supervisory role or else helping with marketing. I'm guessing he's not happy with that arrangement and wants to ge more active which is what led to this being mis-reported.

I highly doubt that.
    People who create franchises seldom assume advisory roles, more like a Seagull!

Doodee wrote: »
    I highly doubt that.
    People who create franchises seldom assume advisory roles, more like a Seagull!

It's the truth. He's been in a management position for the last few years and only advising on projects. Check the credits of the games you think he produced on. He'll have a producers credit in an supervisory role with the lead producer. People think he's solely responsible for most of nintendos output but it couldn't be further from the truth, for the last few years he's been less active. You probably think he's responsible for all the zelda games but he hasn't been a lead since producer since Ocarina of Time, Eiji Aonuma is who is in charge of the Zelda series from Majoras Mask onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Would love if he ended up creating some new ideas for download titles for 3DS/Wii U tbh :)

Advertisement