Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work lights

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

i would like to ad 2 work lites to the rear of my major 1400gl slurry tankerim just wodering how i should wire it to the cab and how they could be fixed to the body of the tanker ?? im also wondering about addin a beacon to the tanker to help people see me at night any ideas for this either ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

fanadman1 wrote: »
    i would like to ad 2 work lites to the rear of my major 1400gl slurry tankerim just wodering how i should wire it to the cab and how they could be fixed to the body of the tanker ?? im also wondering about addin a beacon to the tanker to help people see me at night any ideas for this either ?

does your tanker have lights already?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

corkcomp wrote: »
    does your tanker have lights already?

yes my tanker has the usall lights ontop of the tank its an 11 model major tanker if u are familer with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

what make / model tractor do you have? assuming your trailer socket is 12n type I would wire the work lights back to blue (fog light) terminal of the trailer socket - easy bit done. then I would check tractor wiring and run a wire from work lights (or work light switch if you use a relay) to the corresponding pin on tractor side. I wouldnt go near wiring on a modern tractor unless you sure what your at though, the risk of fire isnt worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

what make / model tractor do you have? assuming your trailer socket is 12n type I would wire the work lights back to blue (fog light) terminal of the trailer socket - easy bit done. then I would check tractor wiring and run a wire from work lights (or work light switch if you use a relay) to the corresponding pin on tractor side. I wouldnt go near wiring on a modern tractor unless you sure what your at though, the risk of fire isnt worth it.

You will probably want to run 55W or even 100W work lamps OP?

Although I see where corkcomp is coming from with using the foglamp pin, the wiring in the standard 5 or 7core cable trailer cable ain't going to be strong enough to run work lamps. Try it and you'I risk frying all the wiring inside the cable and you'I go from lit up like a circus to complete darkness very quick!

There'd be 18 gauge cable, as far as I know in the standard trailer cable, and you'I want at least 12 gauge, possibly even 10gauge to run work lamps at that distance from battery. This will ensure you are getting the full juice and there is as little voltage drop as possible.

I'd also agree with corkcomp in using a relay. Don't use one and you'I fry the switch and/or your tractor wiring!

So .....you need to use a relay that will be 'switched' from the work light switch in the tractor as corkcomp mentioned. You'I need to bring a fused feed from the battery with the 10 gauge wire I mentioned earlier, back to the relay and from the relay back to the work lights.

If you could manage to get the 10gauge wire into the trailer socket along with the standard 7core wiring, you'd be on the pig's back. You could tie it to the standard trailer wiring going back to the tanker lights. Then you could use the fog light pin as corkcomp suggested to make connection between tanker and tractor.

Best of luck!;)

Oh... and your EARTH!

The earth wire (white) inside trailer cable would be 12 gauge, so you can earth your work lights from this at the back of tanker. So you shouldn't have to (hopefully) run a separate heavier earth cable. ;)

• Advertisement

it will be either a massey fergusion 6465 or a landini vision 105 i've just the standerd 7 pin plug ud find on any trailer im not wile keen on wireing threw the fogs cause id like to have more control of it i was thinking mabey a seperate wire comeing into the other powerpoint http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.gif it needs to be suitable to turn of on the road because i dn't want to blind other road users

Corkcomp wasn't saying to wire it to the fogs. Just to use the foglight or auxillary pin in the socket for connection. It's the pin that's not normally wired on a trailer.

You would be using the switch that controls the back lights on the tractor to turn on the work lamps on the tanker. You'd have all these switched off when on the road.

The beacons could be controlled by the taillights or controlled by beacons on tractor.

I think it might be safer to get a lad to look at it for you ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    Corkcomp wasn't saying to wire it to the fogs. Just to use the foglight or auxillary pin in the socket for connection. It's the pin that's not normally wired on a trailer.

You would be using the switch that controls the back lights on the tractor to turn on the work lamps on the tanker. You'd have all these switched off when on the road.

The beacons could be controlled by the taillights or controlled by beacons on tractor.

I think it might be safer to get a lad to look at it for you ;)

my father would be doing it he is used to lorrys and is fairly handy with the oul wirein but he would just like to know how uns think it should be done :)

ahhhhh right. So ye's were just testing us wee lads.

Did I pass? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

use led work lamps
    far brighter work lamp with a far less draw of current on your fuse board

• Advertisement

49801 wrote: »
    use led work lamps

Good idea. Never thought of them! Are they any good? I would have no experience of them. If they're anything like the house replacements, I find that they're isn't the same intensity of light out of them.

Are any tractor manufacturers using them on their new models?

Muckit wrote: »
    ahhhhh right. So ye's were just testing us wee lads.

Did I pass? :p

well u had some good ideas :P im still a little lost though

use led work lamps

would the led light not get lost so to say if it was a bright night and u were backing into a yard or trying to spread like

would the led light not get lost so to say if it was a bright night and u were backing into a yard or trying to spread like

see photo's of ploughing in link

see photo's of ploughing in link

any harm how much they costed and and where u found them ??
    also are they easy to fix in place and wire up ? thanks for ur reply

any harm how much they costed and and where u found them ??
    also are they easy to fix in place and wire up ? thanks for ur reply

sorry not me. just an example
    search on bff for david roberts and work lamps and should be plenty examples

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Sparex also do LED rear work lamps as well as a range of cheaper h3 hologen type available in ever garage / agri outlet . If i was you i would fit some of h3 type cheaper as they would stay on the tank and wouldnt set you back so much. you can also get a 3 pin male / female plug to wire these seperate from your 7 pin trailer light lead.That would mean you have 2 cables to connect / disconnect each time you hook up to your tank but its safer. I would have someone who knows what they are doing fit them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

kingstown wrote: »
    i've 2 of the hallogen ones down in the shed :L took them of a quad its just wireing from the tractor im not sure of because they would need to be switched of on the road and that would u recomend to take a wire striaght fromt the battery with a switch and a rely or wat ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement