Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie New Server Suggestions

• 08-12-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be a good idea to start a suggestions thread for the new boards.ie server so that maybe we can improve everyone's experience based on what we've learnt from previous iterations.

I'll get the ball rolling and make what might be a controversial suggestion:

No creative mode for building infrastructure.
    Building railway lines and stations to connect towns should be a community project. It should also help to keep people more localised rather than spreading out too far and leading to the appearance of an empty world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

My suggestion would be to keep all buildings limited to a maximum of 2/3 floors, and no crazy ass stupid looking things floating in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

No use of NPC villages. (obviously can't be enforced) but instead of the last sever starting at an NPC village I think we should do the same as previous server and build a village from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Hrmmm suggestions...
    Mandatory village sports days...every day :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

My suggestion would be to keep all buildings limited to a maximum of 2/3 floors, and no crazy ass stupid looking things floating in the sky.

Says the guy who was building treehouses on the last server :pac:

Once people are set up to some degree I'm gonna need lots of help obliterating a nice big chunk of land down to bedrock... ;)

Solitaire wrote: »

Once people are set up to some degree I'm gonna need lots of help obliterating a nice big chunk of land down to bedrock... ;)

And the apartment complex in dublin?

• Advertisement

gavmcg92 wrote: »

And the apartment complex in dublin?

*cough* Tallagh *cough*

laura-can wrote: »
    *cough* Tallagh *cough*

I guess I should have said the "unattractive apartment complex" in Dublin. The one in tallaght was amazing!

Just noticed there last week that a strange pyramid shape has pop'd up beside tallaght.

That's electronige. Been there for months - its awfulness kicked off the MCEdit troubles :o

The apartment complex in Dublin was actually the PROTOTYPE for Tallaght. There had been a shortage of housing in Dublin at the time (this was the second day of the server!) so I used inferior materials to erect it faster :o I wouldn't have minded if it was torn down, as no-one was using it for its intended purpose of, um, housing :p

Tallaght was a lot more than just housing, still a shame it ended up so underutilized :o

This time I will drop two enormous holes down to bedrock - one for my personal project so its not too tall, the other for the Arena :D

And I don't care what anyone says, I'm using /give to get the rarer materials for the Arena (not any private stuff!) as its not practical to ruin the Nether tearing it apart for Netherbrick nor impose a 90% Iron Tax on everyone to get enough iron for it :eek:

There had been a shortage of housing in Dublin at the time

Lolololol! This is minecraft, you can live in a hole in the ground :P

Not when Bland's around... :rolleyes:

I actually got one of the original houses and expanded it underground, hoping Bland wouldn't notice :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I don't think there should be a limited size in buildings;
    However I don't think creative should be used at all by anyone for any reason (except of course for server events). Other then that I think everything was grand.

+1. I can find ways around the height limit anyway... ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Not when Bland's around... :rolleyes:

I actually got one of the original houses and expanded it underground, hoping Bland wouldn't notice :o:p
    Nearly every single house I've had on every single map so far has had a massive basement which 90% of the houses utilities are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

No use of NPC villages. (obviously can't be enforced) but instead of the last sever starting at an NPC village I think we should do the same as previous server and build a village from scratch.
    Well, if structures are turned off that means no strongholds and as such, no End realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Nearly every single house I've had on every single map so far has had a massive basement which 90% of the houses utilities are in.

Yh like mine on the first map. I had alot of stuff and it was all underground, only had a 5x10 house above ground

Well, if structures are turned off that means no strongholds and as such, no End realm.

Sorry I should of explained better... For our first community village we should build on land and not take refuge in an NPC village.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bouncybul

Sorry I should of explained better... For our first community village we should build on land and not take refuge in an NPC village.

Gav isn't very good at explaining :p so what he was saying is that we should build very town in a stronghold or NPC village. Now tell me that I have read that wrong...

See you can't I read and explained it perfectly. :D

bouncybul wrote: »
    Gav isn't very good at explaining :p so what he was saying is that we should build very town in a stronghold or NPC village. Now tell me that I have read that wrong...

See you can't I read and explained it perfectly. :D

I give up... If you need me I'll be on the actual server thread :rolleyes:

Um...AFAIK you can spawn in the blocks for the end portal wherever so I don't think that would matter... But if you had structure generation off would that mean the obsidian towers in the end wouldn't be there...therefore meaning the dragon couldn't heal himself? Because that would be super :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

It might be hard to enforce a height limit rule everywhere on the server although I liked the idea of themed towns we had two maps ago that had certain building and material restrictions (like Rome Town and Greek Town).

There's definitely a worry that the NPC villages makes it too easy for us to not bother building our own settlements. This is a pity because the best looking towns on current map (like Mountown) started from scratch.

Regarding adding an mods onto the Vanilla version, one that I'd definitely like to see considered would be the airships mod, provided it doesn't need a client-side install. It gives people a chance to cruise around and check out other peoples structures without having to use an illegal flying mod and I think the amount of resources you need to build one is quite balanced:
    8 leathers for the ballon,
    16 steel ingots and 2 pistons for the 2 engines.
    4 string, a boat and a dispenser for the under-carriage.

• Advertisement

Not 100% sure but AFAIK ModBukkitMP (or whatever the Bukkit-compatible version of ModLoaderMP is called :p) will be able to push mods from the server, with specific provisions for Planes and Guns, although other mods should be supported too. Unfortunately the whole project is in hiatus until Bukkit release a Recommended Build :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My personal opinion:

1 sethome command
    Hardest difficulty
    Anti-grief plugins
    Lockette
    TRAINCARTS :)
    Morephysics (the more stuff you carry and wear, the slower you walk ;))
    Creative mode OFF for admins, instead use a spy plugin in order to detect naughty people invisibly :P)
    Timefold (increase or decrease length of time for day or night)

I also propose some sort of Tradestation/Train Station hybrid where people can meet at a central hub as a community starting project, have their own chests with lockette, when you trade you simply add another persons name onto lockette with the person you wanna trade with. Simples!

Spy plugin??

Morephysics will suck ass for anyone serious about actually building stuff :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Needs a /spawn and /home. I gave up on the last one because instead of being annoying when you die, it became impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I guess I should have said the "unattractive apartment complex" in Dublin. The one in tallaght was amazing!

Just noticed there last week that a strange pyramid shape has pop'd up beside tallaght.

It was a fecking mob spawner, ended up in it one night trying to treck home was a bloody nuisance.

Enderman wrote: »
    My personal opinion:
    I also propose some sort of Tradestation/Train Station hybrid where people can meet at a central hub as a community starting project, have their own chests with lockette, when you trade you simply add another persons name onto lockette with the person you wanna trade with. Simples!

Great idea

Advertisement