Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness First Gym

Options
  • 08-12-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just joined the fitness first gym, Wondering if any of ye have an experience with it, Not sure if its good value or not at 30 a week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

$30 is a rip off and you shouldve shopped around IMO, I pay $17.50 with Goodlife. Used to be with Fitness First and they're a bastard to leave as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

they told me it was a 2 weeks cancel thing, tell me do they take the first payment as a month instead of 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

$30 is crazy but you can use your membership in any FitnessFirst in Australia so not too bad if you plan on travelling.

I pay $16 per week and am forever complaining because my gym now offers membership at $10 per week for new members.

I believe Jetts and those 24 hour gyms are cheap and they are popping up everywhere. However I have heard that they lock away their weights at night so not too good if you are doing shiftwork.

Keep your original paperwork for fitness first....I have also heard bad stories about people trying to leave them. Including only being able to cancel your membership in the gym that you originally joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Noooooooooooooooo!

Don't give them your bank account details, do not join them!
    Look at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

They are nicknamed Fitness Finance. Says it all really!!!! Apparently there is a youtube video of it online but i've never checked it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Mine is free! Apartment block residents gym, open 4.30am -11pm too!
    Well worth apartment living if you want to save on gym membership.
    Blocks in Melbourne with the best gyms are 1 Freshwater Place and Eureka tower.
    Every block I have seen have some form of gym, some crap, some amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of people don't actually use the guy they join so the cost is obviously a big factor to them.

but if you are goign to use them then value for money is more important.
    You'll easier get a gym cheaper than $30. It may or may not be a good deal depending on what you are looking for.

A lot of the cheap gyms are poorly equiped. I'd rather pay a bit extra to get a proper workout. Fitness first in my experience tend to be very well equiped. I was previously a platinum member as I in different suberbs on different days.
    If you stick to one branch you get a cheaper deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is it worth haggling on the prices with these gyms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes, but not Fitness first - there are usually some gym deals on the daily-deals websites
    http://www.allthedeals.com.au/group-buying
    have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is it worth haggling on the prices with these gyms?

Absolutely. Why do you think they don't display membership prices on brochures/the wall? It is different for almost everyone who uses it.

Been with them 2.5 years, joined on a membership whereby i could use all clubs (except platinum) and it was something like $56 every 2 weeks (month - month contract)

Then I joined on a year membership for just the one club and it brought it down to $43 every 2 weeks. (Adds up over the year - i was only using the one club ever anyway)

My housemate joined bondi junction ff (not the platinum) on a years contract for $15 a week - new membership offer.
    Hint is to go in and enquire near the end of the month, dont sign anything on the day, they will call you every day after - then basically you'll be able to name your price. This is what she did and the price went from $26 a week down to $15 - they drop their prices trying to reach monthly targets. Also works if you have someone else wanting to join.

I can't fault them - love my gym and the service is 10/10. You have to give a month's notice if you are month - month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I cancelled mine yesterday as I really wasnt using it enough and am going to Alice Springs yesterday, What I find funny was the way they worded the cancellation terms, Like who says 2 fortnights, I would reccommend going in at the end of the month aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amybabes wrote: »
    My housemate joined bondi junction ff (not the platinum) on a years contract for $15 a week - new membership offer.
    Hint is to go in and enquire near the end of the month, dont sign anything on the day, they will call you every day after - then basically you'll be able to name your price. This is what she did and the price went from $26 a week down to $15 - they drop their prices trying to reach monthly targets. Also works if you have someone else wanting to join.

I was on the platinum membership for 2.5 years. I like it as I used 3 different branches depending on my schedule.
    Lately I've been using the single gym, the same one you mention above. I had it on hold whil in ireland, but im going to see if I can get it reduced if I change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrkobain

I have been a member of Fitness First in Carindale near Brisbane, think it was the biggest one they have in Queensland and I couldnt fault it really, even if it was busy there was usually always plenty of weights/machines available and all new/nearly new equipment. Also the personal training they offered there was very good, there were so many trainers available and reasonable cost also. But definately haggle for the cost, what harm can it do, with all the competition out there im sure they'd offer some sort of discount

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Mellor wrote: »
    I was on the platinum membership for 2.5 years. I like it as I used 3 different branches depending on my schedule.
    Lately I've been using the single gym, the same one you mention above. I had it on hold whil in ireland, but im going to see if I can get it reduced if I change over.

You definitely will get a reduced rate unless you are on years contract for platinum membership? then youll have to wait until the end of your current contract to switch, but if you are month - month you should be able to switch your membership with a month's notice.

Hope you get your membership down! :)

Advertisement