Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having problems getting rent paid

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just skimmed this. Too much at this time of day and it is pretty irrelevant to the OP's situation which is what matters here. Maybe think of giving up renting if it affects you this badly...Oh but then that mortgage..

I will not use the words I would like to use; one point though. ONE form is all it takes.. ONE form!...

With respect you posted a whole story thats not relevent.

What takes one form. Reporting a tenant or RA?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BostonB wrote: »
    With respect you posted a whole story thats not relevent.

What takes one form. Reporting a tenant or RA?

What respect? And I was provoked;)

ONE FORM is all it takes re a RA tenant - period. You feel aggrieved? Not my problem.

Have a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ONE FORM is all it takes re a RA tenant - period. You feel aggrieved? Not my problem.
    What Ray is seemingly pointing out is that on the LL's side more than one form is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What respect? And I was provoked;)

Have a nice day!

I was just pointing out Ray isn't alone is meandering off topic with little anecdotal stories, and I include myself in that. Why on earth would I feel aggrieved? Don't get that. I think Ray is pushing his own agenda mortgage/paperwork angle which while true for many people I don't think really is the crux of the matter. A mortgage is really the LL own problem. But there are LL who rely on the rental income as their main income. I think that often forgotten.

RA is paid in arrears and isn't guaranteed. So it exactly like non RA tenant except its always in arrears. Also a RA tenant is going to have less in reserve to cover shortfalls. So for those reasons alone its less preferable than a non ra tenant. Sure you can ask a RA tenant to pay a deposit and pay in advance like everyone else, but they are much less likely to be able to do that. If they fall into arrears of any kind, they have much less capacity to catch up on those arrears. So from a purely business POV its a less attractive risk.

Some would argue, that you can a bad non RA tenant, just as often as a bad RA tenant. Thats really not the issue. The core issue is a RA tenant has less capacity to pay. Having said that RA is something like 50% (my guesstimate from news reports) of the rental market. So while LL would prefer not to, a vast amount of them are taking RA tenants. I don't know if thats reflected in more or less problems as the PRTB doesn't produce stats on it. Have to assume most of fine.

Ultimately if you do have a problem of non payment, a RA tenant is no different to a Non RA tenant in terms of solutions. Reporting them, will cut their RA and their other payments. So they'll be even less likely to pay the LL. In my experience the other payments will be re-instated quite quickly. So the end result is the LL ends up out of pocket, often for thousands. You can't get money out of someone who doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Just my tupence worth

I have found over the years that people who act the maggot with Money at the start will continuue that trend with you.
    I have rented out to about 50 people give or take over the years. 90% Were Bloody great People. GREAT times with them.
    There are the small percentage that will act up with money. What i have found it normally starts early in the rental. Bills not getting paid. Having to Pester and Pester about the 40 quid Gas bill. Rent then starts getting late. Then no rent for 1 month. Then Arrears, Then they give you 2 days notice and are gone. Oh ill sort you out later. (yeah they will :rolleyes:)
    Im a sucker ill admit my advice, try to crack down early on this behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement