Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National School and Non Baptised Children

Options
  • 08-12-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi,

Were moving home to Ireland later next year after living abroad for ten years. We're thinking of settling in Clare, Galway or the Midlands.

We speak Gaelic at home and would like to send our children to a Gaelic speaking School. Our children are 4, 5 and 8.

What schools are our children entitled to go to? What are the enrolment rules in general and with respect to Gaelscoils? What schools would you recommend?

Thanks,

Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I am no expert on this, but just to get the ball rolling.

This seems to be a good site for Gaelscoils in Ireland. I would say find one roughly in the area you want. Give them a ring and they will be able to give you good advise.

You also have the option of educate together but they do seem to be primarily near Dublin. But that site does show others throughout the country. If you want your children to speak Irish Gaelscoil seems an ideal choice.

I am not sure what the situation with baptism is with national schools. I think it changes largely with the school.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Generally schools have sites which usually give an overview as to their enrolment policies. I'd imagine most Gaelscoils promote a catholic "ethos" (living in sin, not going to mass, using contraception etc ;)) but probably care more that your child speaks Irish.

In short I'd hope the fact that you speak Irish at home would nullify any reservations the school would have.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

if you're moving to a gaeltacht area like connemara the schools will have a catholic ethos but they won't discriminate against who they enroll based on that afaik. I'm from a gaeltacht area myself and I don't know of any schools that would refuse to enroll kids because they're non-catholic.

Advertisement