Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What alarm should I go for

• 08-12-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, love all the info and chat on here......

I have just signed another 12 month lease on a place I am renting, it has no alarm and the landlord doesn't seem to keen.

If I got an alarm installed would I be able to get it removed in 12 months for my next place? Maybe a house of my own.

HKC alarms seem to get a good reputation on this forum. Could anyone recommend an alarm system or installer near the Portarlington area?

The house is prewired at the doors, not windows so I would leave the windows alone. I would be needing five PIR's and two door sensors.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

The lips wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, love all the info and chat on here......

I have just signed another 12 month lease on a place I am renting, it has no alarm and the landlord doesn't seem to keen.

If I got an alarm installed would I be able to get it removed in 12 months for my next place? Maybe a house of my own.

HKC alarms seem to get a good reputation on this forum. Could anyone recommend an alarm system or installer near the Portarlington area?

The house is prewired at the doors, not windows so I would leave the windows alone. I would be needing five PIR's and two door sensors.

Joe

Wire free alarms are best if you are going to be moving out again. Simple to install and remove. The way the house is cabled is not really offering you much protection as windows and doors are the main route to most premises. A hybrid system would allow you use what cables are there plus you would have the ability to add wire free devices to windows that have no cables. More secure in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

Hi Altor,

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking that using the existing wires at the doors would keep the costs down.

How are the wireless sensors powered?

Hi Altor,

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking that using the existing wires at the doors would keep the costs down.

How are the wireless sensors powered?

Yes using the wires where possible will keep the cost down. Wire free sensors use batteries. 2 - 5 years depending on the system you get installed.

I will start to ring alarm suppliers. Depending on the prices I get I might get a gsm device installed also, they are another €250.

I will start to ring alarm suppliers. Depending on the prices I get I might get a gsm device installed also, they are another €250.

Depending on the system you use the GSM will offer you more functions for remote setting of the system. The cost can vary so shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your using wired I would recommend the Siemens 4220. .
    Thinking ahead this would be ideal for your house in the future as it would be expandable. The features it has over other systems may be useful down the line.
    If your thinking wireless then either the Visonic Powermax would be good. For an apartment The Visonic Powermax Express comes with a GSM dialler.

Here is the HKC Securewave PDF to have a look at also.

Brilliant info there lads, i have been up to my eyes these last few days, no time to call any installer.

But now I know what device to get a price on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Lets know how you get on..
    Time is ticking if you want it as a Christmas present.;)

I want it to lock up the xmas presents :-)

• Advertisement

Would these two suggested systems be programmable by myself once I get a registered electrician to wire in the control panel?

Would these two suggested systems be programmable by myself once I get a registered electrician to wire in the control panel?

Either system would be easy to install and program yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

For a rental property then the visonic would fit the bill.
    Very easy to set up and should keep your landlord happy

Thanks Jnealon,
    the alarm is for myself as the landlord is not interested. I will be taking the alarm system with me in 12 months at end of lease.

In that case Visonic is the one you want.

I would also have a look at the HKC Quantum.

Here is a PDF ;)

altor wrote: »
    Here is the HKC Securewave PDF to have a look at also.
    altor wrote: »
    I would also have a look at the HKC Quantum.

Here is a PDF ;)

I'd say he's seen it the first time.:rolleyes:
    2 attachments in 2 pages? Desperate times , desperate measures.;)

KoolKid wrote: »
    I'd say he's seen it the first time.:rolleyes:
    2 attachments in 2 pages? Desperate times , desperate measures.;)

Different system you will find if you look at the PDFs :D

I know, I was going to attach all Visonics PDFs but I think the OP has got the gist.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I know, I was going to attach all Visonics PDFs but I think the OP has got the gist.

We can all link to PDFs, now if they where the same system then I would understand your comments but they are not so I cant see your point :confused:

• Advertisement

Just as I didn't see the point in posting all Visonics PDFs..
    Anyway I believe the OP has got all the info he needs...

Locked. No need for another thread ot with petty arguments.
    The OP already said he got the info he needed and has made his decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement