Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand house alarm, you thought please?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I only need one for the insurance company (Although I've the house prewired for alarm, I only intend on getting the bare minimum required), In my seven years living in Ireland I've never switched one on (Lived in Eastwall, Marino, Clontarf and Raheny before), now that I'm a home owner I think that insurance would only cover house with an alarm (I know that only registered installer must be used, I'm okay with that but not with splashing on alarm).
    Any idea where I can get one or any reason why not to get one?
    Your thought are appreciated. Arik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

You could ring some of the installers here, also have a look at the PSA website. Insurance wise you can get insurance without an alarm unless this is specified by your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Legally the alarm needs to be installed by a licensed installer

"Hiring an unlicensed company can result in prosecution. Both you and the unlicensed company installing your alarm can be prosecuted. Penalties can range from fines of €3000 up to imprisonment of up to 5 years, or both."
    - http://www.psa.gov.ie

That is correct but if you install the alarm yourself then there is nothing that can be done, same with an unlicensed installer installing an alarm and not receiving payment. Hard to prove with no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

What I meant was to probably got a certified installer to install it (or to cert it).
    I presume it would be possible.
    The question is about a secondhand.
    I'll try one of the installers above, but from what I've seen on boards it >400 Euro for the alarm itself.

Yes, it is possible.
    A self installed system will always be cheaper.

What do you mean about second hand ?

If you mean will an installer take the system back out and reinstall it in a different house if you move then this is possible also.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible.
    A self installed system will always be cheaper.

What do you mean about second hand ?

If you mean will an installer take the system back out and reinstall it in a different house if you move then this is possible also.

More or less what I meant.
    Since I'm not using an alarm, and to keep insurance premium low I'd much prefer to buy a second hand from say someone who upgraded theirs or from an installer, and get them to install it.
    Not sure if the savings are worth the hassle (I didn't check pricing as I wanted your input first).

The savings are not but if the system is up to standard then why not receive the discount. A new system is the way to go rather than a second hand one. Cost wont be much different.

altor wrote: »
    The savings are not but if the system is up to standard then why not receive the discount. A new system is the way to go rather than a second hand one. Cost wont be much different.

Thanks, I'll might just get a quote to see what prices are.

Advertisement