Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EBS building soc workers want annual Xmas bonus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I worked in a similiar company that paid your monthly paycheck in 13 payments over the year, it wasn't a bonus do people treated it as one and some even called it that, it was just your wages divided by 13 and two payments were made in December. Usually people would use the second payment to cover Xmas expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NonFatCat

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is what needs to happen. To the banks (employees of ALL grades); the Civil Service; and PS workers.

Do you think that workers on 30k are on overpaid, and should have their salary cut by another 8%?

I worked in a similiar company that paid your monthly paycheck in 13 payments over the year, it wasn't a bonus do people treated it as one and some even called it that, it was just your wages divided by 13 and two payments were made in December. Usually people would use the second payment to cover Xmas expenses.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is what needs to happen. To the banks (employees of ALL grades); the Civil Service; and PS workers.

The €18bn deficit will remain otherwise. Ireland, Inc is insolvent. And the sooner people realise this the better - starting with the Government.

Great news freddie its now 16 billion. Thats a 2 billion saving you can sleep a little better tonight.

Thats it and its robbery not paying it. Pure shennagins by the EBS. They are still paying management bonus's.

• Advertisement

NonFatCat wrote: »
    Do you think that workers on 30k are on overpaid, and should have their salary cut by another 8%?

Freddie is going to be a happy man today. I have brought him up to speed on the Deficit. Its €16 billion now according to Enda Kenny.

Some people like freddie will be repeating the 18 billion figure in the Year 2050. It just doesn't seem to change for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Snap. We're also down about the 30%, excluding new taxes and so on. However, you are missing my point. I am not looking for any sympathy. I'm looking for fairness. Top-level EBS management will be getting their full annual salary this year, but the lower paid workers will not be. One rule for the rich...

I think you're view of fairness is heavily skewed in your own favour.
    What the fúck is fair about my taxes subsidising your bankrupt company? What would be fair about them paying your christmas BONUS? Call the fúcking thing what it is!
    If you had been treated fairly you'd be on the dole, you just don't seem to grasp that point!

I think you're view of fairness is heavily skewed in your own favour.
    What the fúck is fair about my taxes subsidising your bankrupt company? What would be fair about them paying your christmas BONUS? Call the fúcking thing what it is!
    If you had been treated fairly you'd be on the dole, you just don't seem to grasp that point!

Wow ... don't get your squarepants in a twist! Charming language, btw

YOU seem to be the one missing the point ... the head honchos are still getting their annual salary, whereas the lowest paid workers (avg < 30k) are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

YOU seem to be the one missing the point ... the head honchos are still getting their annual salary, whereas the lowest paid workers (avg < 30k) are not!

That's your point though. Everyone elses point is that the taxpayer is paying this and doesn't want to.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That's your point though. Everyone elses point is that the taxpayer is paying this and doesn't want to.

I pay my taxes too. And I try to stick to the original post as well. A la http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1207/ebs-business.html

Are you a employer? You think it's fair for the high-level management to get their full salary, but not the low-level employees?

• Advertisement

They choose to put part of their wages aside and collect it at christmas. Now the management are renaging on it and keeping the money. People have to recognise whan something is blatantly unfair and call it out.

Don't always fall back on the 'bankers are w***ker they ruined the economy' response to everything.

I pay my taxes too. And I try to stick to the original post as well. A la http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1207/ebs-business.html

Are you a employer? You think it's fair for the high-level management to get their full salary, but not the low-level employees?

No, I don't think it's fair either group do if taxpayers have to pay for it. I'd be inclined to stop management getting it more than wanting you to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

If this is indeed salary and not a bonus then has nobody questioned the fact that it's in breach of the payment of wages act? Bizarre that the banks would leave themselves wide open like that.

No, I don't think it's fair either group do if taxpayers have to pay for it. I'd be inclined to stop management getting it more than wanting you to get it.

Fair enough. I can see your point.

Obviously, I don't know what you do for a living. But out of interest, would you be happy to have your pay docked tomorrow by 1 month?

Fair enough. I can see your point.

Obviously, I don't know what you do for a living. But out of interest, would you be happy to have your pay docked tomorrow by 1 month?

No, certainly not. But I've been made redundant twice. Out of curiosity, would you be happy to sacrifice 1/13th of your wages to keep your job? I wouldn't be. But you can be ****ing sure I'd do it.

No, certainly not. But I've been made redundant twice. Out of curiosity, would you be happy to sacrifice 1/13th of your wages to keep your job? I wouldn't be. But you can be ****ing sure I'd do it.

That's crap, man. Sorry to hear that.

Of course I'd do it. Who wouldn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Amazing to see EBS workers coming out of the woodwork & starting new Boards accounts just to post on this thread.

I'd be very, very surprised to learn that none of these are re-registered posters who are unwilling to post under their normal user names.
    What else have they to do, because they are not "giving" mortgages any more. They are a broken financial institution, heavily bankrupt.

Maybe its their boss, the fellow in the EBS who was on half a million euro a year, posting ?

That's crap, man. Sorry to hear that.

Of course I'd do it. Who wouldn't?

Well, the point other people are making is that you'd be out of a job if you weren't bailed out. That they aren't docking the money for the good of their health, they're docking the money because EBS is insolvent. It doesn't have day to day money. The money it is running with is guaranteed by the taxpayer (and while you are also a taxpayer, your contributions (and every single worker in the EBS, up to the 380 grand guy that gigino won't stop wittering on about) wouldn't keep the EBS running. You owe the taxpayer your job, because you work in a failed enterprise.

If the taxpayer\government decided to walk away, then you'd be earning nothing but the dole. As it stands, the government decided to keep the EBS going, against many people's judgements (I've no real opinion on this), and so it upsets people to see caviling over sums of money when people have lost their jobs due to the downturn.

The EBS staff as a whole was not responsible for it, but the EBS itself was partially responsible for the country not having an arse to its trousers, and what happens when a business fails is you go on the dole. That's what's happened to me in the past (I was chopped in 2002 in the downturn after Sept 11) and again in 2009. If my company had been saved by government intervention and then been told that there were to be cutbacks as a result if it was going to keep going, then I'd accept the cutbacks.

I'm not genuinely agaisnt you, I was on the fence about this earlier in the thread, but it's hard to maintain sympathy when people don't have jobs, and because you were lucky enough to work in a company that the government decided to save, you get to keep yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

gigino wrote: »
    What else have they to do, because they are not "giving" mortgages any more. They are a broken financial institution, heavily bankrupt.

Maybe its their boss, the fellow in the EBS who was on half a million euro a year, posting ?

Presumably the majority of them manage the savings and loans and mortgage accounts as well as the counters in the branch offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What part of bankrupt do you not understand?
    If you weren't the one recieving this bonus, would you think it was fair to pay it out of tax payers money? I very much doubt it. Would you be happy to have a whip round in your job to pay me a christmas bonus? Again, i very much doubt it.
    The head honchos shouldn't be getting one either, but that's not the same thing as saying you should. No one should be getting it. That would be the fair thing to do.

• Advertisement

Well, the point other people are making is that you'd be out of a job if you weren't bailed out. That they aren't docking the money for the good of their health, they're docking the money because EBS is insolvent. It doesn't have day to day money. The money it is running with is guaranteed by the taxpayer (and while you are also a taxpayer, your contributions (and every single worker in the EBS, up to the 380 grand guy that gigino won't stop wittering on about) wouldn't keep the EBS running. You owe the taxpayer your job, because you work in a failed enterprise.

If the taxpayer\government decided to walk away, then you'd be earning nothing but the dole. As it stands, the government decided to keep the EBS going, against many people's judgements (I've no real opinion on this), and so it upsets people to see caviling over sums of money when people have lost their jobs due to the downturn.

The EBS staff as a whole was not responsible for it, but the EBS itself was partially responsible for the country not having an arse to its trousers, and what happens when a business fails is you go on the dole. That's what's happened to me in the past (I was chopped in 2002 in the downturn after Sept 11) and again in 2009. If my company had been saved by government intervention and then been told that there were to be cutbacks as a result if it was going to keep going, then I'd accept the cutbacks.

I'm not genuinely agaisnt you, I was on the fence about this earlier in the thread, but it's hard to maintain sympathy when people don't have jobs, and because you were lucky enough to work in a company that the government decided to save, you get to keep yours.

Great post, well said! Couldn't disagree.

Just to note though (and I'm not moaning, just stating facts), we have accepted cutbacks already (in the region of 25% in 2008) to save our jobs. Which is obviously fair enough ... we are in a recession after all. But gigino is very wrong in thinking that the EBS workers earn anywhere near even a quarter of the bosses salary. The workers we are discussing earn a average of 30k!

What part of bankrupt do you not understand?
    If you weren't the one recieving this bonus, would you think it was fair to pay it out of tax payers money? I very much doubt it. Would you be happy to have a whip round in your job to pay me a christmas bonus? Again, i very much doubt it.
    The head honchos shouldn't be getting one either, but that's not the same thing as saying you should. No one should be getting it. That would be the fair thing to do.

Ah, bonuses, those were the days. I haven't have one since 2008, only cutbacks. You've heard we're in a recession haven't you!

If I read between the lines, what you're saying is you'd prefer me not to have a job and for you to pay for me to be on the dole. I guess you're right, sure I don't deserve any better. After all, didn't every bank employee in Ireland cause the world economy to implode? Shame on me!

But gigino is very wrong in thinking that the EBS workers earn anywhere near even a quarter of the bosses salary.
    I never said those exact words. Someone said I thought that everyone in EBS earned the same as the bosses salary there and I said wrong, I would say most are on less than a quarter of the bosses salary.
    It does not matter anyway : the country has been F***ed by the likes of EBS and Anglo over-lending, which during the boom was in the selfish short term interest of staff there getting bonuses and pay rises. They should never have give loans to people - sometimes for 10 or 15 times their salary - which have proven to be impossible to repay. They did not do it before the tiger era, they do not do it now : why did they do it then ? These people have serious questions to answer : their bankrupted the country as well as their own company : they should count themselves lucky to be still in a job, when many of their victims - who are having to bail them out - are in worse circumstances. Xmas Bonus - ha ! If they left last month they would not have got a cent of it anyway....so it was not a savings policy.

As I said, its tough on ground level staff in EBS, but they are lucky compared to many victims of the property bubble, which would not have happened but for the greed and mis-management of EBS and Anglo Irish bank etc.

I never said those exact words. Someone said I thought that everyone in EBS earned the same as the bosses salary there and I said wrong, I would say most are on less than a quarter of the bosses salary.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that a quarter of 380,000 is 95,000. Which is nowhere near the 30k that the employees earn that we are discussing. In fact, some are around the 20k mark.

And for the record, I pretty much agree with the rest of your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mrsmc79

Yes there is a poor man earning 380,000 per annum in EBS and two weeks ago the Department of finance gave him 20,000 more than the pay cap they introduced due to his "personal circumstances" ....despicable behaviour
    The management and the PR spin from EBS focuses on "bonus" ... A journalist from the times said it was an EBS spokesperson who gave this inflamatory statement "Bonuses of up to 5,000 per individual" .....that's a basic salary of 65k , do you really think this is the basic salary of clerical staff ???? The reality is 21-23k The management & PR company are praying for a public back lash to the staff so they have no support.
    EBS staff have taken paycuts like everyone else and have been told to double pension contributions . Right now many senior managers are jumping ship to AIB on better terms than they currently have with all extra pay in tact.
    The staff at EBS do not deserve this abuse , how horrific you can't distinguish bewteen the normal staff and senior management. If you are so outraged be so at the CEO breaking the pay cap and support the workers and to the person whose is so proud of daddy dearest putting the shutters down when the press are outside are you proud enough of your "Dad" to say who it was ?????? Don't think so
    If you are interested in the workers view and not just the PR spin then listen to this 51mins in ...... then make up your mind
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9%3A3136805%3A53%3A09%2D12%2D2011%3A

If it's a way of receiving salary payments, all an EBS employee has to do is grab a copy of their contract and a years worth of payslips and go see a solicitor. Or the union can do that for them. Should be resolved quickly enough.
    Ah you see this is the problem , the credit institutions act brought in by the department of finance this year states the minister can supercede all contracts .... the same act also introduced a pay cap for all senior bank employees however the minister for finance decided two weeks ago that the EBS CEO currently earning a hefty 6 figure salary could have 20k more due to his "personal circumstances".
    On Sunday a newspaper had a copy of a letter from Enda Kenny requesting a salary increase of 35,000 for his colleague who already earns 95k , I suppose due to his personal circumstances too.... So I am angry that with all this cronyism still alive and well the department decide to use the power to supercede the clerical staff at EBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Wow, the hatred here is VICIOUS.

To EBS staff, I hope you get what is owed.

I would also like to say, welcome to the world of being in the public service. The press hate you, private sector workers (even though they themselves are often dependent on government contracts, more so than ever now) hate you. You will be villified forever more. You can work yourself to the bone for a pittance pay and all you'll ever get from small-minded morons and keyboard warriors is ignorance and blind hatred.

Oh yeah, and your salaries will ALWAYS be judged by those at the very top of the foodchain. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 greys24

There is a lot of anger & hatred towards bank staff in this post which is not right. Bank staff are human beings too, they did not cause the economic crisis. EBS staff are just looking for what is rightfully theirs. Would anybody like to be told their pay is cut 1 & 3 days before they are due to receive it? Are bank staff supposed to lie down & say that's grand keep taking wages & changing contracts. It's not fair that management are still getting their full salary and the staff from team leaders/assistant managers down are expected to take an immediate pay cut with only 3 days notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mrsmc79 wrote: »
    Ah you see this is the problem , the credit institutions act brought in by the department of finance this year states the minister can supercede all contracts .... the same act also introduced a pay cap for all senior bank employees however the minister for finance decided two weeks that the EBS CEO currently earning a hefty 6 figure salary could have 20k more due to his "personal circumstances".
    On Sunday a newspaper had a copy of a letter from Enda Kenny requesting a salary increase of 35,000 for his colleague who already earns 95k , I suppose due to his personal circumstances too.... So I am angry that with all this cronyism still alive and well the department decide to use the power to supercede the clerical staff at EBS.

I would also like to say, welcome to the world of being in the public service. The press hate you, private sector workers (even though they themselves are often dependent on government contracts, more so than ever now) hate you. You will be villified forever more. You can work yourself to the bone for a pittance pay and all you'll ever get from small-minded morons and keyboard warriors is ignorance and blind hatred.

Oh yeah, and your salaries will ALWAYS be judged by those at the very top of the foodchain. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Honestly ....we are talking about peoples lives and how this impacts their families and this is your response ???? Nice:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Still a bit confused over this but I am shocked at the amount of posters who say they don't care whether this is wages earned (earned, not bonus etc) being withheld.
    Thin end of the wedge that one, thin end.

What I want to know for definite is from an EBS employee:

State your actual yearly gross salary
    Then state the actual amount received

Example:
    If gross salary is plainly stated as 30k (and no conditions or rules imposed on that figure) and you've received 27500 by year end, then you've been robbed pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 boshea19

Im an employee of EBS and have no problem posting to confirm same, BroomBurner many thanks for your comments, believe it or not they actually mean a lot!

If I was guard or a nurse this conversation would not be happening. Simple facts people...

- me like all my colleagues who are affected are low paid workers who depend on this payment at xmas
    - as previously posted, this is NOT a bonus, it forms part of our wages that we work hard for throughout the year
    - Managers are getting the bonus, their 13th month is included in their monthly wage, lower grade staff did not have this option

Some people say we are not looking for sympathy, well ill be honest, I am. We need sympathy to get our wages, very sad state of affairs to be in looking for it.

I can 100% see why people hate banks, and bonuses should not be paid etc... and I agree, and the way some media outlets have reported this story the general perception when the average person assumes its a bonus, but its so frustrating to read posts on here where people are all explaining that the payment is not a bonus, and then someone posts a rant about bankers lucky to get paid any wages...etc...

We are human..just in case people forgot that...we bought houses in the peak.....we are all average/low paid workers....we are supporting families and young children.....

It really seems to depend on what you do for a living...people do not seem to want to hear the actual facts, they just love a good rant and who better to pick on then admin staff in a bank, like I said, if I was a guard who had part of my wages taken from me by my employer there who be public sympathy, people have to realise these are peoples lives and incomes that are under threat....if the government will stoop this low, then everyone is a target, don't forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't get the argument that just because EBS has been bailed out; that its employees should accept having some of their salaries withheld. The non-management types working in EBS did not ask to be bailed out by the state, or get the organisation into a situation where it needed to be bailed out. They are still doing the same work that they were doing before the decision to bail them out was made.

Whatever about them taking a reduction in pay, it shouldn't be in the form of withholding salaries which they have already worked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sharrow wrote: »
    EBs the building soc not the ESB.

The bottom tier of staff 1 week before payday and 2 weeks before christmas got told they were not getting the bonus but all the managers are. They have gotten it every past year going back 11 years and to have it landed on them at such short notice when most of them were going to pay for christmas out of it is sniveling, mean and underhanded.

EBS is a failed institution with €1.5 billion of taxpayers' money and - amid allof the other bonus scandals, and the Government's policy on bank bonuses - it seriously came as a shock that these staff wouldn't be paid bonuses?

I don't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Oh ffs, their kids won't get the presents they want... my heart bleeds:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Oh ffs, their kids won't get the presents they want... my heart bleeds:rolleyes:

Exactly. I didn't see the government bailing out or taking over TalkTalk down in Waterford. 550+ people lost their jobs there, yet the workers of EBS, a company that should have been shut down have the nerve to come on here and moan about their Xmas bonus.

Where exactly do they expect the funding for these bonuses to come from? Education? Health? FFS.

But you will still get your increments :D to ease the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Have we figured out whether they're bonuses or not? People from the company keep on telling us that they're part of a complex (and, frankly, bizarre) 13 month lunar scheme but everybody else keeps quoting from an IT article (not the best source to be using nowadays) that is quoting from a spokeperson for the company.

Something fishy going on here, but we'll soon see exactly what's going on in the next couple of days. If the workers in EBS are right about the weird lunar payment scheme, there's no way management will get away with it (surely?). I think some of the people who are so against the workers getting their 'bonus' will probably still hold a negative attitude towards their getting their wages, if that proves to be what happens. Which is just plain nuts.

I also find it amusing that all of FBJM's posts were deleted. I think daddy might've had a little word in his ear about the appropriateness of telling everyone what was being discussed at the family table. It's great that everyone quoted him, though.

The non-management types working in EBS did not ask to be bailed out by the state, or get the organisation into a situation where it needed to be bailed out.
    The workers in EBS collectively helped inflate the property bubble by over lending, and sometimes lending people 10 or 15 times their annual income....when historically and internationally the norm is more like a couple of times annual income. No wonder they ( along with Anglo etc ) bankrupted themselves + the country.

They are still doing the same work that they were doing before the decision to bail them out was made.
    No they are not, they are not lending money now. To attract funds from depositors they are offering over 4% ,while some people with mortgages are only paying them half that. Its a broken institution + should be closed like Anglo.

The workers in EBS collectively helped inflate the property bubble by over lending, and sometimes lending people 10 or 15 times their annual income....when historically and internationally the norm is more like a couple of times annual income. No wonder they ( along with Anglo etc ) bankrupted themselves + the country.

No they are not, they are not lending money now. To attract funds from depositors they are offering over 4% ,while some people with mortgages are only paying them half that. Its a broken institution + should be closed like Anglo.

The workers in EBS did their job & took and still take the flack like they had actually made all the decisions that subsequently landed them in this mess. Why don't you have an issue with the department of finance using their power to allow 14 bankers exceed the pay cap but you have an issue with workers getting their salary which I doubt collectively exceeds the pay cap extra's???
    And tho Anglo may be "closed" it's recruiting daily so not closed from a cost perspective.
    The man responsible for bringing EBS to it's knees walked out with €1.2m in his pocket and left the staff to deal with the fall out and public backlash.

• Advertisement

Some people will always remain ignorant because they can't open their minds , sad really ....did any of you listen to the Joe Duffy piece ?? Probably not , because your more interested in your tunnel vision opinions ....maybe if people stood up for each other more against the powers that be we wouldn't be in such situations...Good night to you all , may the morning bring you a fresh perspective :p

The workers in EBS did their job & took and still take the flack like they had actually made all the decisions that subsequently landed them in this mess.
    Someone in EBS and Anglo etc made decisions and put in place poor administration re over-lending etc, which inflated the bubble + f***ed their companies and the country.

Why don't you have an issue with the department of finance using their power to allow 14 bankers exceed the pay cap .
    I do, and the top lad in EBS is on the list @ his reduced pay of only 380,000 per year
    And tho Anglo may be "closed" it's recruiting daily so not closed from a cost perspective..
    Anglo is effectively closed. All its branches are closed, its not lending any more and people are tidying up the mess, thats all.

The man responsible for bringing EBS to it's knees walked out with €1.2m in his pocket and left the staff to deal with the fall out and public backlash.
    There was more than one man " responsible for bringing EBS to it's knees ". ;) . Why did'nt you or anyone else in EBS shout stop when you saw loans being given to people who had no hope of ever paying them back. Loans for amounts 10 or 15 times the persons salary. Yes, the management was most at fault, but the rest of the EBS team beneffited from greedy lending practices , got their bonuses etc. Its tough, but then life is tougher on thousands of others who lost their jobs, but whose company was not bailed out by the taxpayer.

There was more than one man " responsible for bringing EBS to it's knees ". ;) . Why did'nt you or anyone else in EBS shout stop when you saw loans being given to people who had no hope of ever paying them back. Loans for amounts 10 or 15 times the persons salary. Yes, the management was most at fault, but the rest of the EBS team beneffited from greedy lending practices , got their bonuses etc. Its tough, but then life is tougher on thousands of others who lost their jobs, but whose company was not bailed out by the taxpayer.[/QUOTE]

You're funny .... yes there was more than one , I'm sure they got their cheques too...the rest of EBS did what they were told to do , it's what you do to keep a job , saying stop was the role of the financial regulator.......do u think EBS staff are immune to family members out of work ...they struggle too....I feel we could go back and forth all night but I believe your harsh comments to a person earning 21,000 are unwarranted so there I'll leave it

I believe your harsh comments to a person earning 21,000 are unwarranted so there I'll leave it
    Many hundreds of thousands of people in the country only earn 21,000 a year. Do you work in EBS and earn that too ? Personally, I think it very wrong your boss earns about 18 times what you do. And I am not a leftie or communist. 5 or maximum 10 times your wage would be fairer. Anyway, what about the poor victims of the recession ( which EBS contributed to / helped cause ), who would love to be on 21,000 this Christmas , and who never got a months bonus in their lives ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

did any of you listen to the Joe Duffy piece ?? Probably not , because your more interested in your tunnel vision opinions ....

We've been hit with the Joe Duffy stick. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Deank wrote: »
    There is an option in their contracts where they can specify an amount to be deducted from payroll monthly which they would get back in December.

I would have thought that a prerequisite for working in a financial institution would have been the ability to understand why voluntairly entering into such an arrangment would not from the employees POV be a particularly good idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I would have thought that a prerequisite for working in a financial institution would have been the ability to understand why voluntairly entering into such an arrangment would not from the employees POV be a particularly good idea ?

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Giving an interest free loan to your employer with no clear indication of what happens to your money should the compay go under, you find yourself otherwise unemployed (or simply move on) during the year sounds even more unwise than investing in your typical employee share scheme.

Anyone who needs this explained to them shouldnt be working for a financial institution quite frankly.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Why?

because those who left the EBS in October or November miss out on the "Xmas bonus" as many have called it.

If some of the staff in EBS ( and Anglo etc ) were more concerned about proper and sustainable lending - instead of for example lending sums equivalent to 10 or 15 the borrowers salary, so he / she could never repay it - instead of looking for their traditional Xmas bonus, then their company and the country may not be bankrupt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement