Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EBS building soc workers want annual Xmas bonus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

gigino wrote: »
    call us spastics if you like, as long as you are ok in your big bank job. Call the people in TalkTalk in Waterford spastics if you like. I would never call a group of people spastics.

I don't have a big bank job
    and
    I didn't call any group of people spastics - the man in Easons did.
    I was merely quoting him for dramatic effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

tigger123 wrote: »
    Horrible to hear that EBS staff will be going on strike...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1213/breaking31.html

Only a few days before Christmas too, I feel for you guys, best of luck fighting it, you're entitled to those payments.

From the irish times article; The 300 staff who have been refused the payment earn an average of €30,000 a-year and include every grade from assistant manager down. Those above that grade will receive the payment.

I find that pretty galling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

tigger123 wrote: »
    Horrible to hear that EBS staff will be going on strike...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1213/breaking31.html

Only a few days before Christmas too, I feel for you guys, best of luck fighting it, you're entitled to those payments.

Article:
    EBS staff plan a one-day strike next Tuesday - December 20th - in protest at the Department of Finance’s refusal to approve an end-of-year bonus normally paid to all employees in the run up to Christmas.

Workers at the building society, now part of State-controlled AIB, voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a ballot conducted by their trade union, Unite.

As a result, Colm Quinlan said today that the union has served notice on EBS management and staff will formally withdraw their services next Tuesday in the first of what could be a series of strikes.

The bonus amounts to four weeks’ salary and has been paid to all staff at the EBS for the last 45 years and forms part of their contract of employment.

The department refused to approve the payment as it is classed as a bonus. Finance institutions in State ownership or control cannot pay bonuses without Government approval.

It's a bonus and they're not entitled to a bonus. It's sad but we've all had to take a hit, at least they're being bailed out by the State and their employment can continue even though the company they work for is making huge losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

TheZohan wrote: »
    Article:

It's a bonus and they're not entitled to a bonus. It's sad but we've all had to take a hit, at least they're being bailed out by the State and their employment can continue even though the company they work for is making huge losses.

Where is the evidence that it's a bonus? I've yet to see anything solid from either side on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

woodoo wrote: »
    From the irish times article; The 300 staff who have been refused the payment earn an average of €30,000 a-year and include every grade from assistant manager down. Those above that grade will receive the payment.

I find that pretty galling.

Yea, that's disgraceful.:mad:

How can they justify that?:(

MagicSean wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that it's a bonus? I've yet to see anything solid from either side on this matter.

It has been reported in the media that it's a bonus, no worker has been able to provide proof that it's not a bonus. If it wasn't a bonus the staff could take legal action, but they haven't. Instead what are they doing? Striking, and trying to use bully-boy tactics to get their own way.

It has been reported in the media that it's a bonus, no worker has been able to provide proof that it's not a bonus. If it wasn't a bonus the staff could take legal action, but they haven't. Instead what are they doing? Striking, and trying to use bully-boy tactics to get their own way.

If those above 30K get it then those below should. All or nothing. I support their strike.

The media isn't evidence. Just ask that priest RTE defamed.

MagicSean wrote: »
    The media isn't evidence. Just ask that priest RTE defamed.

That's a fair comment, if it was only RTE reporting it as a bonus.

So far we have RTE, The Irish Times, Irish Examiner, Reuters etc. reporting it.

I do however agree that the bonus shouldn't just be cut for the lower paid workers, it should be cut right across the board for all workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Everyone should send an email to their head office to support the staff, it wasn't a bonus it was part of their salary.Been paid 52 weeks devided by 13months a great idea if the head office played ball. I'd say most people would like to be paid this way its simple really they never have a 5 week month and a great way to save for Christmas.

I for one will send an email of support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

wexford12 wrote: »
    Everyone should send an email to their head office to support the staff, it wasn't a bonus it was part of their salary.Been paid 52 weeks devided by 13months a great idea if the head office played ball. I'd say most people would like to be paid this way its simple really they never have a 5 week month and a great way to save for Christmas.

I for one will send an email of support

erm.... why.

if it is in their contracts then .... legally they have recourse in the courts and should take the action through their unions....if however they are not entitled to the payment then ...thats life !!

why have the workers not shown their contracts to the media to back-up their claims - opting for "industrial action" in the current financial position the country is in will get very little support unless they can show some form of entitlement.

By the way I do not accept this as an entitlement well..we get it every year and have gotten it for the last 48 years ...so we should get it this year - which was what was mentioned on the radio earlier as part of the EBS argument.

I asked earlier in the thread ....if one of the EBS staff can tell me why they are entitled to a full months pay as a "bonus" ... would a lesser bonus suffice ?

The worker who says its in her contract.... then goto your union rep and let them know.

And for all those who think I'm against the EBS workers - not really - I do think that the bosses should get the same as the ordinary workers.... there's no reason why they should get it and the ordinary workers don't... unless its in their contracts and not in the ordinary workers.

basically ... check your contract instead of trying to get public support for what will be seen as an unwarranted "bonus".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Statement for immediate release
    Tuesday December 13th 2011 1600 Hrs
    TUESDAY CONFIRMED FOR EBS BUILDING SOCIETY WORKERS STRIKE
    Strike action at EBS Building Society has been confirmed for next Tuesday, December 20th.
    UNITE members hold a one day strike with pickets at the EBS Head Office on Burlington Road, and branches at the Square shopping centre in Tallaght and on William Street in Limerick.
    This action is the first phase of what could become more prolonged action unless a payment sanctioned for management but denied to staff is paid in full.
    "A general meeting of staff has been called for January 11th," said UNITE Regional Officer Colm Quinlan.
    "If the issue has not been resolved by then consider options including extending the strike action and pickets to more branches of EBS or even to its now parent company Allied Irish Bank."
    Previous statement issued at 1245 today with more detail about the background to the dispute...
    Unite members at the EBS Building Society voted overwhelmingly to take strike action during Christmas week.
    98 per cent of the 84 per cent of UNITE's 300 members at the financial institution who voted, did so in favour of taking action in anger at the withholding by the company of a 13th month payment this week.
    This payment has been made in each of the last 45 years to all staff, but this year it has only been paid to managerial staff who had the option to change the structure of their pay package some years ago.
    The same offer to change that structure was never made to staff, who presently earn an average salary of less than €30,000 per annum.
    "We were given no notice that this payment was to be withheld," said UNITE Regional Officer Colm Quinlan, speaking after the counting of votes today.
    "When staff were advised last week that only managers would receive the payment, the level of anger was as strong as I have ever seen."
    "The idea that the Department of Finance can decide the fate of Christmas in hundreds of households with no notice in advance is so wrong as to unbelievable."
    "That the payment is only being withheld from the regular workers and not management, would really not be out of place in a modern retelling of Scrooge."
    More than 300 UNITE members will now take strike action during Christmas week, the precise details of which will be announced later today after the company has been served formal notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Food on the table?

Xmas cancelled?

They are on an average of 30k, not minimum wage - come on.

That video will do them no favours.

The bonus should be taken from the senior management as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mrsmc79

That's a fair comment, if it was only RTE reporting it as a bonus.

So far we have RTE, The Irish Times, Irish Examiner, Reuters etc. reporting it.

I do however agree that the bonus shouldn't just be cut for the lower paid workers, it should be cut right across the board for all workers.

Hi Zohan , did you read today's times ??? Far more accurate version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovelifeexist

I don't mean to sound like a scrooge and I know what EBS have done is dispicable telling the staff a few days before they should get their bonus that there won't be one, but have any of these staff members stopped to even think about those people who don't have jobs at this present time, all those people at Talk Talk in Waterford that were let go a few months ago, that won't have a salary let alone a bonus this Christmas. I am sorry Carol O'Brien if Staff members use their bonus to put food on the table what do they do the rest of the year? Sometimes you have to count your blessings and be grateful you have a job, and if you intend striking I hope your pay gets docked for that day, because as a tax payer I am now paying your salary and I am not paying you to strike! If you don't want to work for the EBS then let someone who wants a job have yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Ok

I used to work for EBS a few years ago for a long while. This "payment" was never referred to within the company as a 13th month payment. This is a term ive heard for the first time today coming from ebs.

Secondly, its a bonus, not part of their salary, and certainly not guaranteed. In fact i still have my old contract which states its perfomance related (company performance). We always got an email about 2-3 weeks before we were due it to confirm it was coming.

WHile i think the email last week telling them they wont get it was a little short notice this close to christmas, it didnt come any later than the email confirming the payment either. I think staff just assumed it would always be guaranteed which is a bit silly considering the year in it.

Now, Management arent getting this BONUS either. they had the option to spread their salary over 13 months years back, which they opted for. So this payment is theirs, its not a bonus so they need to stop calling it that.

Finally, why the hell did the staff think they would get it anyway this year? are staff at banks still so dilusional to think that things are the same as they always where. The state owns them now, and the state dictates that if you screw the ****ing economy then you dont get a bonus! simple as.

I wont be supporting this. This ****s me right up too. Due to sign for a APt on the 20th, account with ebs, now ive no way to access the money i need, ATM have limits. Plus salary due to be paid that day, no guarantee that will even go through now. I think everyone should picket the picketers on tuesday, so them that ireland wont stand for this ****e from bankers anymore

You put it rather bluntly but hear! hear!

I don't mean to sound like a scrooge and I know what EBS have done is dispicable telling the staff a few days before they should get their bonus that there won't be one, but have any of these staff members stopped to even think about those people who don't have jobs at this present time, all those people at Talk Talk in Waterford that were let go a few months ago, that won't have a salary let alone a bonus this Christmas. I am sorry Carol O'Brien if Staff members use their bonus to put food on the table what do they do the rest of the year? Sometimes you have to count your blessings and be grateful you have a job, and if you intend striking I hope your pay gets docked for that day, because as a tax payer I am now paying your salary and I am not paying you to strike! If you don't want to work for the EBS then let someone who wants a job have yours.

Sometimes its a matter of justice. Right and wrong. They have been told they can't have their dues but the managers are getting theirs.

Woodoo, as a lot of other people have said, let us see the contracts, let's see exactly how the managers contract is written and how the other staff's contracts are written, we can't go on hear say, and you can't throw around words like Justice and right and wrong until you have seen it in Black and white. Maybe every staff member should go to their HR department and ask them for a copy of their contract and then let us know what it says. Surely the HR department should have told the staff back in July when the EBS was taken over by AIB that they would not be paid a bonus in December, at least that way staff would have budgeted for it, I think heads should roll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

andre2010 wrote: »
    Ok

I used to work for EBS a few years ago for a long while. This "payment" was never referred to within the company as a 13th month payment. This is a term ive heard for the first time today coming from ebs.

Secondly, its a bonus, not part of their salary, and certainly not guaranteed. In fact i still have my old contract which states its perfomance related (company performance). We always got an email about 2-3 weeks before we were due it to confirm it was coming.

WHile i think the email last week telling them they wont get it was a little short notice this close to christmas, it didnt come any later than the email confirming the payment either. I think staff just assumed it would always be guaranteed which is a bit silly considering the year in it.

Now, Management arent getting this BONUS either. they had the option to spread their salary over 13 months years back, which they opted for. So this payment is theirs, its not a bonus so they need to stop calling it that.

Finally, why the hell did the staff think they would get it anyway this year? are staff at banks still so dilusional to think that things are the same as they always where. The state owns them now, and the state dictates that if you screw the ****ing economy then you dont get a bonus! simple as.

I wont be supporting this. This ****s me right up too. Due to sign for a APt on the 20th, account with ebs, now ive no way to access the money i need, ATM have limits. Plus salary due to be paid that day, no guarantee that will even go through now. I think everyone should picket the picketers on tuesday, so them that ireland wont stand for this ****e from bankers anymore

Not doubting you, but have you got the contract on front of you? 100% it was performance related?

Its a bit of a wonder the EBS staff got it for the last couple of years if that is the case tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

They have been told they can't have their dues but the managers are getting theirs.

Pity the managers were not as concerned about their sometimes extraordinary and incredibly careless lending policies during the tiger years ( eg loan for property at 10 to 15 times annual salary ) , which f***ed up the lives of many people as well as the economy of the country. I can see it all coming out in the next month or two as people are really angry.

noodler wrote: »
    Not doubting you, but have you got the contract on front of you? 100% it was performance related?

Its a bit of a wonder the EBS staff got it for the last couple of years if that is the case tbh.

Yes - 100% this one is not Performance related ...the old preformance one that "Andre2010" is talking about is long gone (4 years ago) which was only for one department.( Which he may have worked in Given his user name I think he knows that)

Mrsmc79 wrote: »
    Hi Zohan , did you read today's times ??? Far more accurate version

I did. If you scroll up you'll see where I quoted today's article. Note the emboldened red words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Ok

Good post.
    But i'm a bit confused as to what management are getting.
    Are you saying management managed to incorporate this bonus into their salary a few years back and so it's not considered a bonus for them.

Edit:
    Someone else is disputing this post so now i dunno what to believe.

• Advertisement

Quote from the Irish Times "However, the payment is being made to senior management who exercised an option several years ago to change the structure of their pay package so that the “bonus” was incorporated into their regular pay terms."

Managers never changed the structure, from the time they join they are told your pensionable SALARY is 60K you can decide how you want it paid over 12 months or have it split into 13 and have the 13th payment in December.

Staff don't have the option they are told your salary is 30K and in December we pay a Christmas Bonus - I am sure but I do not have the facts so could someone check their contract please!

Sorry guys, went to bed only seeing these now.

I will fish out my contract when i get home from work and have another look. But yeah it was about 5 years ago i left, but i worked there for 5 years also and it was indicated in our contracts that it was performance related, again not personal but company. Always found these odd when they were a mutual society at the time. My point is, we always always got it, it became the norm and people began to think they where entitled to it.

My point on the managers. No their bonuses were not incorporated into the salarys a few years back. The managers LOST their bonuses a few years back ( christmas bonus anyway, im sure they still got tons of other bonuses). When they lost the christmas bonus they were given the option to spread their existing salary over 13 months so they would get 2 payments in december. NO increases happened to their salary to cover the lost christmas bonus. ** OK the irish times are saying that the bonuses where incorporated into their management salaries, if this is the case, then thats ****ed up, its not what i heard from people i still know working their also, but unite apparently confirmed this**

Anyway, best of luck to them, im not sure what they think they will accomplish considering it was the DOF that dicated this move, not the EBS

*** just an added note, to do empathise with EBS staff, its a sucky thing to do and a really sucky thing to do so close to christmas, as i know a lot of people got all their christmas shopping done with the bonus, EBS should have told them when the merger went through. But if a christmas bonus is paid out this year, its coming from the taxpayer, not the bank this time, and im not happy about that, im sick of the social charge coming out of my salary to clear this bailout, when the bailout could be cleared much quicker if these kinds of bonuses are paid, plus at least they where given the option of an interest free loan, im fecking working and im finding it hard to get a loan :) People need to open their eyes and see whats going on around them, and see how many people are struggling to make ends meet to even feed themselves this christmas let alone get an additional months salary for no reason whatsover***

im fecking working and im finding it hard to get a loan :) People need to open their eyes and see whats going on around them, and see how many people are struggling to make ends meet to even feed themselves this christmas let alone get an additional months salary for no reason whatsover***

+1. And the relatively small financial instution that gave these payments to themselves ( and is currently paying its CEO his reduced income of 380,000 per year ) is the same one ( along with Anglo Irish bank etc ) which has help **** up the economy, by sometimes selling a mortgage 10 to 15 times the borrowers annual income etc. Such borrowers do not get a bonus, despite have helped EBS with their bonuses in previous years. Its yet another miserable xmas for them too, as well as the ordinary ground floor staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Make love not war

Hi guys I'm completely new to this. No prizes for guessing why I decided to join.

I work for Ebs. I'm a single parent earned €25k pa but now I earn €23k. I have a 270k mortgage and bills to pay. I work hard pay my taxes and do what has to be done to get by.
    Im gutted by what has happened. When I joined Ebs I signed up for a annual salary. I was told I'd received double pay in December I didn't have a choice in this but had no problem either because it gets me through the Xmas.
    When I began working for ebs we did receive a company profit share but that was when it made money and that stop years ago. I have a feeling this is what you are referring to in your contract andre2010.
    The payment at Christmas is not a bonus for performance sure how could it be when Ebs isn't making any money? It is part of our contract of employment.
    A few people have said if this is the case what the DOF is doing is illegal and we can get it back that isn't true.
    The minister for finance has complete powers over all bank employees he can cut salaries, sack staff, give additional bonuses to CEOs if he likes. We have no control over the legality of our contracts they mean nothing.
    I don't think that it will be reinstated tbh but I sure as hell will fight for what has happened here.
    It's a disgrace I'm completely stuck for Xmas my mortgage is late I don't get paid again until the 25th of January.
    I'm heart broken. I done nothing wrong and we should all be standing together and fighting what this farce government are doing to the working class.
    I understand I'm lucky to have a job I get that argument but I've family and friends that haven't worked in yrs too. I'd actually prob be better off on the dole but working gives me something to get up for every morning.
    Another thing that gets me if Ebs does wind down most if the senior managers have secured made up senior roles within aib. I'll prob be joining my dole friends soon enough!!!!
    Your argument is with the wrong people here.
    I hope most of you can see my point.
    I'm totally and utterly broke. Some of these comments are sole destroying :(
    I do not want to strike but what else can we do?????

Hi guys I'm completely new to this. No prizes for guessing why I decided to join.

I work for Ebs. I'm a single parent earned €25k pa but now I earn €23k. I have a 270k mortgage and bills to pay. I work hard pay my taxes and do what has to be done to get by.
    Im gutted by what has happened. When I joined Ebs I signed up for a annual salary. I was told I'd received double pay in December I didn't have a choice in this but had no problem either because it gets me through the Xmas.
    When I began working for ebs we did receive a company profit share but that was when it made money and that stop years ago. I have a feeling this is what you are referring to in your contract andre2010.
    The payment at Christmas is not a bonus for performance sure how could it be when Ebs isn't making any money? It is part of our contract of employment.
    A few people have said if this is the case what the DOF is doing is illegal and we can get it back that isn't true.
    The minister for finance has complete powers over all bank employees he can cut salaries, sack staff, give additional bonuses to CEOs if he likes. We have no control over the legality of our contracts they mean nothing.
    I don't think that it will be reinstated tbh but I sure as hell will fight for what has happened here.
    It's a disgrace I'm completely stuck for Xmas my mortgage is late I don't get paid again until the 25th of January.
    I'm heart broken. I done nothing wrong and we should all be standing together and fighting what this farce government are doing to the working class.
    I understand I'm lucky to have a job I get that argument but I've family and friends that haven't worked in yrs too. I'd actually prob be better off on the dole but working gives me something to get up for every morning.
    Another thing that gets me if Ebs does wind down most if the senior managers have secured made up senior roles within aib. I'll prob be joining my dole friends soon enough!!!!
    Your argument is with the wrong people here.
    I hope most of you can see my point.
    I'm totally and utterly broke. Some of these comments are sole destroying :(
    I do not want to strike but what else can we do?????

Hi mate, welcome to boards.

Firstly, the profit share scheme was a different thing, i wasnt referring to that. But im also not saying that contracts might have changed since i left ebs, it was over 5 years ago now. But my old contract does say that the additional month in december isnt guaranteed, so i find it odd that your contract say it is. Can you let us know what your contract says?

TBH i think its a disgrace that management got to incorporate their bonuses into their salaries years ago, that was something i wasnt aware of. I assumed they just spread their own salary over 13 months.

I wouldnt take comments on boards personally, they are never intended that way, but you can understand why a lot of the irish public have very little respect or even sympathy for bankers right now. I was even asked by a member of ebs, a mate of mine, to stop referring to this payment as a bonus as its making you guys look bad using that word. But it is a BONUS.

I think they certainly should have told you waaaay earlier that you werent getting this so you could have had time to prepare for it, that was really ****ty. I dont think EBS have the power though to reverse this. From what i remember, EBS treated its staff actually really well when i worked there, may not still be the case, but if its the same people running it then if they could make the decision to pay you they would, its not them. The government could care less if you strike for a day, no skin off their nose, if anything, this has now become very public news and if they are seen to back down on this one, how many other strikes will come from other companies, people etc. Maybe there is a better way than striking.

Good luck with it, i dont think it will be reversed but i dont like the idea of anyone being broke either, thats horrible and for that i apologise for any remarks i made prior to this post if they caused offence, it wasnt intended that way

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comment. Can I ask what you think we should do?

I have a lot of sympathy for someone who finds themselves in your position. How did you get a mortgage for 270k ( or more ) on an income of 23 or 25 k ? Was it with EBS, in which case did they also not ask you how you were going to service / repay that loan ? A mortgage of 270k , even with the low interest rates we have at the moment, must be very difficult to repay as well as rearing a child, normal living and household expenses etc. I do not know what you can do, but I wish you luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

That would be the cherry on top really if it were EBS that gave you a mortgage for that amount!

I work for Ebs. I'm a single parent earned €25k pa but now I earn €23k. I have a 270k mortgage and bills to pay

That is utter madness. You could not have been approved for that on your wage.

That is utter madness. You could not have been approved for that on your wage.
    The EBS have sold a mortgage for a lot more than that to a gullible person who earned less.;)

No wonder the company and the country is bust.

Ebs didn't give me that mortgage I got it elsewhere and I was earning even less at the time. The reason I moved to ebs was the higher salary. Crazy I know I'm an idiot for taking it. But I did and now it has to be paid :(

Im gutted by what has happened.
    Ebs didn't give me that mortgage I got it elsewhere and I was earning even less at the time.

Something does not make sense here. How did another financial institution give / sell you a mortgage for € 270,000 ( or more ), when your salary as a single parent was less than € 25,000 ? How did the financial institution expect you to make mortgage repayments after paying for rearing the child, electricity, food ,clothes, transport etc etc ??? Traditionally most financial institutions only lent 2 or 3 times annual salary or whatever. As someone who works in a financial institution yourself, did you ever wonder what was the lending criteria of the ( as yet un-named ) financial institution concerned when you took out your mortgage ?

I worked for the other financial institution. My situation is a little complicated I'm not going into all my details. If you think it's untrue well that's your opinion.
    When I took it out it came directly from my salary each mth so didn't bother me too much. I also get maintenance and lucky I don't have to pay for childcare.
    I borrowed it about 8 yrs ago. I'm happy in my home it's a house so I'm glad I didn't buy an apartment. It's also a 40yr mtg so payments aren't as high as others but I'll be paying it for a long time.

Anyway my situation is only one in Ebs eveyones is different.

gigino wrote: »
    Something does not make sense here. How did another financial institution give / sell you a mortgage for € 270,000 ( or more ), when your salary as a single parent was less than € 25,000 ? How did the financial institution expect you to make mortgage repayments after paying for rearing the child, electricity, food ,clothes, transport etc etc ??? Traditionally most financial institutions only lent 2 or 3 times annual salary or whatever. As someone who works in a financial institution yourself, did you ever wonder what was the lending criteria of the ( as yet un-named ) financial institution concerned when you took out your mortgage ?

Perhaps she was not single at the time she received the mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I also get maintenance and lucky I don't have to pay for childcare.
    Just note financially you are not a single parent as the father is paying maintenance so they are supporting the child financially.

Not taking away from the situation just that it makes a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Some people in EBS seem to have a lot of time to be posting on boards during work hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that some people working for a Rehab offshoot are still waiting for their bonus from a couple of years ago, and despite the Labour Relations Court telling Rehab to cough up, they still refuse to do so. Industrial action by the people involved hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

Newaglish I'm entitled to a break. Maybe if you looked at the times I've posted you'd notice that.

Ray Palmer
    Legally and financially I am a single parent and if I wasn't working I could claim lone parents. The father is contributing and paying what he can but I supply the roof over his head the food on the table the clothes on his back aswell as everything else.

Either way that is not the issue.
    Think we're getting way off the mark here.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that some people working for a Rehab offshoot are still waiting for their bonus from a couple of years ago, and despite the Labour Relations Court telling Rehab to cough up, they still refuse to do so. Industrial action by the people involved hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

I'm not sure what to do. Don't think it will work myself to be honest but should we just sit back and take it????

Newaglish I'm entitled to a break. Maybe if you looked at the times I've posted you'd notice that.

Ray Palmer
    Legally and financially I am a single parent and if I wasn't working I could claim lone parents. The father is contributing and paying what he can but I supply the roof over his head the food on the table the clothes on his back aswell as everything else.

You would get a reduced amount as the father is contributing . If he does not do so regularly you should insure he does. The money he supplies pays for the child at least partially. If he contributes you are not financially a single parent. It is off the main point but you will just damage your argument if you exagerate your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You would get a reduced amount as the father is contributing . If he does not do so regularly you should insure he does. The money he supplies pays for the child at least partially. If he contributes you are not financially a single parent. It is off the main point but you will just damage your argument if you exagerate your points.

Based on what the lady has said, she is a parent who is single, where's the confusion?

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Ray Palmer

Ok I get your point we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Galtee wrote: »
    Based on what the lady has said, she is a parent who is single, where's the confusion?

I'd imagine the confusion is based around the semantics of the phrase 'single parent', and whether this refers to a parent that is currently single or the fact that a child has only one parent raising him/her.

I always assumed that 'single parent' was where only one parent was contributing to raising a child - as opposed to your interpretation.

This is way off topic though.

Galtee wrote: »
    No confusion clarifing the difference in financial terms. Two parents contributing to a childs welfare is different to one parent doing it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

I'd imagine the confusion is based around the semantics of the phrase 'single parent', and whether this refers to a parent that is currently single or the fact that a child has only one parent raising him/her.

I always assumed that 'single parent' was where only one parent was contributing to raising a child - as opposed to your interpretation.

This is way off topic though.

What difference does it make to this thread? ie Where's the confusion in relation to this thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement