Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai make thirteen "Christmas Day" arrests

• 08-12-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Gardai in Waterford made thirteen arrests and reported over eighty incidents related to Christmas Day celebrations by some students last night.The Guards ran a public order operation in anticipation of the event.29 incidents were dealth with in Templars Hall, including fifteen related to public order, one drink driver, two episodes of criminal damage and some minor traffic incidents.Three arrests were made in Templars Hall, and a further ten public order arrests were made in the John Street, Manor Street and Parnell Street areas.The Christmas Day celebrations are not recognised by WIT or the Students Union and the bar on campus was closed yesterday to discourage the event however the tradition has developed over the years and often leads to public order incidents.All those arrested will be dealt with by way of Adult Caution.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/137120.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The WIT should just kick anyone arrested out and send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Hit em where it hurts! their grants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Hit em where it actually hurts, ring the mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And we all know the mammys power :pac:
    9WEZs.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

In fairness to the gardai, there was 2 cars, 2 bikes and a paddy wagon out in Templars at 11AM yesterday. They knew there was trouble brewing.

Outta curiosity, does anyone know how many arrests are made in town on a normal saturday night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In fairness to the gardai, there was 2 cars, 2 bikes and a paddy wagon out in Templars at 11AM yesterday. They knew there was trouble brewing.

Outta curiosity, does anyone know how many arrests are made in town on a normal saturday night?

Very very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

They only did that because people are complaining in the media a stronger gardai presence actually in town would of done the world of good last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

13 arrests, none of which were serious cause their all getting released with only a caution, on the busiest student day of the year. The traffic accident is nothing that you wouldnt expect on any busy night of the week. Mountains out of molehills lads. If ye all hate students so much, take them out of the city and see it instantly die a horrible death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How many of these were students, and how many of them were students of WIT?

Last year I'm told that the place was awash with people who were not students, from towns across the region, many of whom were on the dole and had nothing better to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A group of em out side me door at 9pm last night after being in the Toddle, one of em was battering me door in and thought he was going to come through it, not sure if he was head butting it or kicking it, but luckily others were pulling him back. :mad:

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    13 arrests, none of which were serious cause their all getting released with only a caution, on the busiest student day of the year. The traffic accident is nothing that you wouldnt expect on any busy night of the week. Mountains out of molehills lads. If ye all hate students so much, take them out of the city and see it instantly die a horrible death.

We'd definitely lose at least 1 of our 4 tescos anyway.

We'd definitely lose at least 1 of our 4 tescos anyway.

And 3/4's of our bars

And 3/4's of our bars

The Bars that rely on Students to survive are bars that are on their last legs anyway.

I'm no belittling what the students contribute to the local economy, because to be honest, I don't know the extent of how much they do or don't.

I do know that they spend 95% of their spare money in tesco though!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

spoken like a true student.....they were probably arrested for their own protection..drunken disorderly etc,let off with a caution and will wear it like a badge of honour while bragging to their friends about it.
    yes the city would suffer if we took the college away but you are not entitled to run wild in the streets either,it's this sense of entitlement that has turned the locals against you.

You know the way the English have a bad reputation when they go abroad? Treating the place like their own private bouncy castle cause they're only there for 2 weeks?

That's pretty much the same reputation that students have. And tbh, it's well founded.

The Bars that rely on Students to survive are bars that are on their last legs anyway.

I'm no belittling what the students contribute to the local economy, because to be honest, I don't know the extent of how much they do or don't.

I do know that they spend 95% of their spare money in tesco though!

I wont disagree with you on the Tesco thing anyway haha. The foundry,harveys,masons and a lot of fast food place there would close, surely thats the bones of 70 jobs. Plus the negative effect in general on the nightlife here would cause a domino effect and more would probably follow. Then theres the people employed in that tesco haha....

danjo-xx wrote: »
    A group of em out side me door at 9pm last night after being in the Toddle, one of em was battering me door in and thought he was going to come through it, not sure if he was head butting it or kicking it, but luckily others were pulling him back. :mad:

I get that at least once a week living on Manor Street and it is always student nights, they are ridiculous I got my wing mirrors smacked again last night and some nob tried to piss in my letter box. When I first moved in confrontation was the way to go but its a different person every night so no matter how many I confronted it wouldnt stop. So now I only confront someone I catch at my car they honest to god need to be thrown out and thought a lesson.

If this was someone from a council estate people would be up in arms but because its students the guards let them off its ridiculous.

They are causing so much damage its just not on.

spoken like a true student.....they were probably arrested for their own protection..drunken disorderly etc,let off with a caution and will wear it like a badge of honour while bragging to their friends about it.
    yes the city would suffer if we took the college away but you are not entitled to run wild in the streets either,it's this sense of entitlement that has turned the locals against you.

If you combine heavy amounts of alcohol with large crowds of any type of people in any town in this country the result will always be the same - Mayhem. I've worked in bars all over the country and all over the world and you dont have to be a student to be a complete and utter f*ckin dope when your drunk!

I wont disagree with you on the Tesco thing anyway haha. The foundry,harveys,masons and a lot of fast food place there would close, surely thats the bones of 70 jobs. Plus the negative effect in general on the nightlife here would cause a domino effect and more would probably follow. Then theres the people employed in that tesco haha....

I personally would be delighted if some of those places closed down its the places that serve alcohol late and for so cheap that cause all this trouble. Im all up for only leaving nightclubs open late on weekends, what was the dope who was singing outside my door at 4 in the morning doing the next day.

The pubs that are actually good and have a bit of substance and locals enjoy will survive, the ones that all they do is serve cheap alcohol to students and wreck the town would close down.

deisedave wrote: »
    I personally would be delighted if some of those places closed down its the places that serve alcohol late and for so cheap that cause all this trouble. Im all up for only leaving nightclubs open late on weekends, what was the dope who was singing outside my door at 4 in the morning doing the next day.

The pubs that are actually good and have a bit of substance and locals enjoy will survive, the ones that all they do is serve cheap alcohol to students and wreck the town would close down.

I dont particularly like those places either but the thing about a nightlife is the vibe on a night out, if its not busy people will not go out, people will stop comin here from other towns and eventually theres so little people going out because its not worth it that even the pubs with character that we all like close down.

• Advertisement

I dont particularly like those places either but the thing about a nightlife is the vibe on a night out, if its not busy people will not go out, people will stop comin here from other towns and eventually theres so little people going out because its not worth it that even the pubs with character that we all like close down.

I would prefer not go out than go out when the students are out, any small benefit they bring by going out is far out weighed by the trouble they cause to old people living on manor street, criminal damage, waking people who have work up, fights, wasting gardai time, filling up the er drunk, damaging cars and the list goes on. They are trouble makers and they need to be brought under control and whoever defends them is obviously going to be a student or someone who is involved in W.I.T.

I would prefer not go out than go out when the students are out, any small benefit they bring by going out is far out weighed by the trouble they cause to old people living on manor street, criminal damage, waking people who have work up, fights, wasting gardai time, filling up the er drunk, damaging cars and the list goes on. They are trouble makers and they need to be brought under control and whoever defends them is obviously going to be a student or someone who is involved in W.I.T.

So 10,000 students in WIT and i suppose all of them are trouble makers are they? Alot of them are young and foolish and this is why they act like dopes but we've all been there and they will grow up eventually.

So 10,000 students in WIT and i suppose all of them are trouble makers are they? Alot of them are young and foolish and this is why they act like dopes but we've all been there and they will grow up eventually.

Actually I am young and love to party, but holy god students are a different story and they need to be sorted out. When I party no one else is affected by it I walk home without screaming kicking doors etc and your obviously a student or just were recently.

Actually I am young and love to party, but holy god students are a different story and they need to be sorted out. When I party no one else is affected by it I walk home without screaming kicking doors etc and your obviously a student or just were recently.

Once again tarnishing all with the same brush, if this were true of all students then no one would graduate from W.I.T
    I am a student yes, in my final year and I work to pay my way no money from mammy and I dont go out and act like a gob****e. I also work in a bar so I see it from the other side of the counter so I know that you can be black,white,green,a student, on the dole,have a good job, be tall or small and still be a complete and utter fool when your drunk. So have you been to college since we're on the track of sussing each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

mike65 wrote: »
    The WIT should just kick anyone arrested out and send them home.

Fact!
    And fact!

Fines and cautions won't make the slighest difference but those 2 will for definate! lol

Once again tarnishing all with the same brush, if this were true of all students then no one would graduate from W.I.T
    I am a student yes, in my final year and I work to pay my way no money from mammy and I dont go out and act like a gob****e. I also work in a bar so I see it from the other side of the counter so I know that you can be black,white,green,a student, on the dole,have a good job, be tall or small and still be a complete and utter fool when your drunk. So have you been to college since we're on the track of sussing each other out.

Actually didnt like what I was doing thinking about going next year if I dont emigrate but how is that relevant.

Actually didnt like what I was doing thinking about going next year if I dont emigrate but how is that relevant.

Well then you might ask yourself the same question on what me being a student has got to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Not all students are like this as someone said 10,000 full time students attended WIT and I say a small minority are like this so the sweeping generalisations you are making is not right.
    However these people would be like this whether they were students or just out working. It is the problem with certain amount in the age bracket 17- 25, they grew up in the Celtic Tiger were pampered, told they could do what they liked and were our future etc They have no respect for anyone or anything and the blames lies at the feet or parents and media.

I agree that there is a hell of a lot more trouble caused by a certain student element now then there was when I was there about 9 years ago. I can tell you certain Saturday / bank holidays nights in town are no worse than student nights out.
    Where I live is a main street and you get people passing going down town and walking home from nights out and can tell you that it is Saturday nights when the odd time there is more noise, trouble but I realise I am lucky that way.

I do not agree with WIT being held responsible. They are not on WIT property, not out on WIT business, orgainsed event etc. If that is way then employers should be held responsible for whatever their employess do if they go out after work. If criminal proceedings or a criminal conviction was made against a student there could be some case WIT can take but other than that. These people are "adults" and are responsible for their own actions. WIT can only do so much and have taken steps far beyond on what alo of other IT/ Uni's do.

Well then you might ask yourself the same question on what me being a student has got to do with it.

The fact that you are defending them, the students that finish college normally dont tend to be the ones who cause all this trouble.

• Advertisement

The fact that you are defending them, the students that finish college normally dont tend to be the ones who cause all this trouble.

Im not defending them for a second, if anyone did anything described above to my property I would kick the absolute sh!t out of them. My problem lies in the fact that you and other people are making sweeping generalisations but im glad you finally admitted that most students dont cause trouble because most actually graduate believe it or not!

Advertisement