Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai make thirteen "Christmas Day" arrests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

O Riain wrote: »
    Im not defending them for a second, if anyone did anything described above to my property I would kick the absolute sh!t out of them. My problem lies in the fact that you and other people are making sweeping generalisations but im glad you finally admitted that most students dont cause trouble because most actually graduate believe it or not!

How come on a Saturday there is never really any trouble on my street but on a Wednesday its absolute mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Not that it materially changes the points being made here but there are about 6,000 full-time students in WIT not 10,000. Anyway, something really must be done as these are giving the college a bad name and it is spot on to say that the general attitude of the minority of students is getting worse every year and the minority is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

In fairness the expectations that are there for the night are part of the problem. You have to wonder if there wasn't such a fuss made in the lead up every year would there be the same amount of trouble? Discussions about it in the local media and around WIT, whatever the good intentions may be, only lead to it gaining publicity and spreads its reputation around the country. Look at Galway RAG week, the more articles in the papers about how out of hand it was getting, the more students attended from around the country.

At the end of the day the majority of people behave how they are expected to behave, if such negative expectations weren't there in the first place, or if some positive steps were taken by WIT SU to take control of the event rather than washing their hands of it, I'm sure it could be a lot more positive for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

deisedave wrote: »
    How come on a Saturday there is never really any trouble on my street but on a Wednesday its absolute mayhem.

Because they're children, only drunk ones. And they are in their comfort zone by the fact that they go to college so close to home, with all their "friends", they've never had to grow up. IMO its not healthy to go to college so close to home, better to go somewhere different where you don't know as many people and have to make your own way. It's more challenging and knocks the corners off you IMO. That is the problem with WIT, too many of the students are still on the t*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

6600 wrote: »
    Because they're children, only drunk ones. And they are in their comfort zone by the fact that they go to college so close to home, with all their "friends", they've never had to grow up. IMO its not healthy to go to college so close to home, better to go somewhere different where you don't know as many people and have to make your own way. It's more challenging and knocks the corners off you IMO. That is the problem with WIT, too many of the students are still on the t*t.

And then there are those who think that because they're not at home, they can act however they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

While this trouble is an absolute annoyance and all that, without it Waterford would be screwed.. Whoever said Gardai have better things to be doing then making arrests last night then could you tell me what are these 'better things'? All those arrested are gonna get slapped with big fines, making money for the state and thus making the guards work for theire wages. Also thanks to these students nightclubs are opening, making money, employing staff and thus while on a small scale they are helping the economy.. The trouble that went on last night is normal, thats called modern day society so get used to it!

And then there are those who think that because they're not at home, they can act however they want.

Nail on the head right there, their mammy will never find out.

Yeah, fair play to the students for funding our Garda force! :rolleyes: Even if they were hit with big fines (which they won't be) this would be non-sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The clubs, Supermarkets ,Off-licences have to take some reasonability feeding them with cheap drink adding fuel to the flames a lot of these kids don’t know the meaning of the word STOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Whoever said Gardai have better things to be doing then making arrests last night then could you tell me what are these 'better things'?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056476283

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The clubs, Supermarkets ,Off-licences have to take some reasonability feeding them with cheap drink adding fuel to the flames a lot of these kids don’t know the meaning of the word STOP.

Bang on, this is the main cause if you ask me. Cheap drink is also causing the slow demise of many pubs around this country. Cannot beleive there was not an increase in the budget.
    Another thing is grants. In my opinion there should be some kind of a pre pay card used for grants and that this card cannot be used on fags and booze. The two main ingredients to a session haha

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

This is the whole issue - nobody is willing to take persoanl responsibility for anything anymore. Why should the majority of responsible people have to pay huge prices to have a drink in a pub, buy drink for a small minority of "kids" who won't take responsibility when they should be. If they cannot well then they should not be classed as " adults" and get the same treatment and rights as adutls get. It is not the job of a supermarket to ask if they intend to drink the bottle of vodka that night and then go out and causes trouble. Not a dictatorship we are living in.

I believe if they are that immmature to not know when to stop drinking, or how to behave when they are out well then they are not mature enough o move out of home and go to college. So keep them in school till they are 22 or something like that.

As I said before these people who act like this are immature, papmered, spolit brats who believe they can do and say and act as they because it has been reinforced into them growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They're adults. They should be able to take responsibility for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

They're adults. They should be able to take responsibility for themselves.

Totally agree, problem is they won't take responsibility as other excuses such as cheap drink, etc. No it is not. I know when to stop drinking and how to behave no matter what and no amount of cheap drink would change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Last year I'm told that the place was awash with people who were not students, from towns across the region, many of whom were on the dole and had nothing better to be doing.

shut up would you half the fu*king countrys on the dole if someone fancies a few drinks its not because they have nothing better to do they go out to enjoy themselves.

A lot of ye are just gossiping like a pack of women, you can tell ye enjoy it.

for the record, im not a student.

Just two little things wrong with that.. Firstly thats Lismore not Waterford,ur geography mustn't be too good cause there at opposite ends of the county and secondly they more then likely happened on 2 seperate days seen as that was posted before people probably even started getting arrested in Waterford city.

Exactly I live next to harveys and when its closing time they close their doors and let the street descend into mayhem, they are the ones who feed these people with drink so they should be in charge of making sure the street is not turning into one big brawl.

If someone was dealing cocaine and this was happening there would be big trouble but these legal drug dealers get away with it, its f**king ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Just two little things wrong with that.. Firstly thats Lismore not Waterford,ur geography mustn't be too good cause there at opposite ends of the county.
    Oh dear

jayboi wrote: »
    Oh dear

lol Is it me or did irishjack look stupid there

Exactly I live next to harveys and when its closing time they close their doors and let the street descend into mayhem, they are the ones who feed these people with drink so they should be in charge of making sure the street is not turning into one big brawl.

If someone was dealing cocaine and this was happening there would be big trouble but these legal drug dealers get away with it, its f**king ridiculous.

A bit of cop on there, since when do drug dealers get in trouble when someone they sell drugs too goes nuts, think an investigation into that only really happens if someone dies after taking stuff (e.g. Katy French case), likewise with drink (e.g. Graham Parish - Hayes Hotel). If you've a problem with the anti-social behaviour then why don't you move house or else put up with. Our licensing laws are bad enough as it is, the only thing they can do now is make alcohol illegal and I don't think thats gonna happen pal so you may aswell throw in the towel on your argument now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

shut up would you half the fu*king countrys on the dole if someone fancies a few drinks its not because they have nothing better to do they go out to enjoy themselves.

A lot of ye are just gossiping like a pack of women, you can tell ye enjoy it.

for the record, im not a student.
    It's a fecking internet forum . What else are we gonna do apart from gossip and mess about.

Agree about the dole thingmebob

Oh dear indeed.

lol Is it me or did irishjack look stupid there

No not really, anyone with a bit of common sense would probably know that most guards spend more time arsing round the station or cruising round in squad cars. I don't think they arrest one person and are straight on to arresting another one, if that was the case I'm sure the Gardai would need loads of staff and would still be recruiting!

seanybiker wrote: »
    It's a fecking internet forum . What else are we gonna do apart from gossip and mess about.

Agree about the dole thingmebob

Yeah sort of stupid people judging people on the dole when getting a job is impossible at the moment and its not the peoples fault that the government messed up big time.

No not really, anyone with a bit of common sense would probably know that most guards spend more time arsing round the station or cruising round in squad cars. I don't think they arrest one person and are straight on to arresting another one, if that was the case I'm sure the Gardai would need loads of staff and would still be recruiting!

Yeah from my experience there is way to many wasters in the Gardai but there is lots of greats Guards also. The recruiting is not their fault they are under staffed and the government has a freeze on recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Troll be trollin...

Can you supply your source of these facts you are stating?

Yeah from my experience there is way to many wasters in the Gardai but there is lots of greats Guards also. The recruiting is not their fault they are under staffed and the government has a freeze on recruiting.

No don't get me wrong, there are some very good guards, I'm just saying like all jobs, guards aren't constantly on the go.. While when they are working I'm sure its very hard,annoying aswell as dangerous and so on, but they prob spend more time then any other occupation just hanging around waiting for something to do..
    Troll be trollin...

Can you supply your source of these facts you are stating?

Quiet you ya nerd!

...but they prob spend more time then any other occupation just hanging around waiting for something to do..

More than the council??? :eek: /joke And you're wrong
    Quiet you ya nerd!

Yes Mr. Troll sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

O Riain wrote: »
    So 10,000 students in WIT and i suppose all of them are trouble makers are they? Alot of them are young and foolish and this is why they act like dopes but we've all been there and they will grow up eventually.

Know one want to stop them from enjoying themselves but why do some have to be destructive and terrorise a lot of people in their own homes and sometimes at a lot of cost to others and then all they get is a caution!

I was 'lucky' if thats what you call it.... that no damage was done to my door last night.

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Know one want to stop them from enjoying themselves but why do some have to be destructive and terrorise a lot of people in their own homes and sometimes at a lot of cost to others and then all they get is a caution!

I was 'lucky' if thats what you call it.... that no damage was done to my door last night.

The Government decided years back that everyone who offended for the first time was entitled to a caution. If the Gardai were not to give that caution then it would more than likely be thrown out of court for not giving it, such is the way of the current legal system. However, if you are the victim of a crime and the offender is entitled to a caution you can say that you do not agree to it. What happens then is anyones guess. But the option is there.

Advertisement