Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Power supply?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Post the rest of your system specs, and any upgrades you might be planing in the future, and we can give you a better idea.

And in general, no, that PSU isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Corsair would get my vote..

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/builder-series.html

stable and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah, I'd second Corsair, been using them for years etc.

The CX series is their "budget" range if you're looking to save money and don't expect to be putting your system under serious load.

System specs, system specs, system specs...

If you're not going to be using high-power graphics cards, odds are you don't need anywhere near 600W. I'm guessing a good 400W unit would do, and net you greater efficiency (and a lower ESB bill) to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I wouldn't recommend corsair or anything else without knowing what it's going to be powering. There's usually better alternatives to the CXs but it really depends on where you're buying (if it's the only item; whether postage is included).

Monotype wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend corsair or anything else without knowing what it's going to be powering. There's usually better alternatives to the CXs but it really depends on where you're buying (if it's the only item; whether postage is included).

A good brand and efficiency is worthwhile at any power level no?

nesf wrote: »
    A good brand and efficiency is worthwhile at any power level no?

I think he was just echoing my comment - no point in firing brands out there without knowing system specs first.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I think he was just echoing my comment - no point in firing brands out there without knowing system specs first.

*starts flame war*

nesf wrote: »
    *starts flame war*

*Rages, continues flame war, inciting ever-more violence*

/off topic.

If the OP is going with a Corsair unit, make sure it's the CX V2 line. The first CX line is not-so-great.

• Advertisement

*Rages, continues flame war, inciting ever-more violence*

/off topic.

If the OP is going with a Corsair unit, make sure it's the CX V2 line. The first CX line is not-so-great.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of if he was only getting a PSU (assuming low power needs): http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-430-watt-cx430-v2-builder-series-80-plus-power-supply-7K9K.html?refs=55420000-50113&src=3

Heh, and that's exactly the one I was thinking of when I mentioned a 400W unit, as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

System specs, system specs, system specs...

If you're not going to be using high-power graphics cards, odds are you don't need anywhere near 600W. I'm guessing a good 400W unit would do, and net you greater efficiency (and a lower ESB bill) to boot.

But if you think you might upgrade in the next couple of years, well worth thinking about a more powerful one in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was just advising cation when giving blanket statements about brands. Nearly every brand has at least a few duds. Many PSU brands today are involved in other products, so if you have good experience with another item, you still need to judge the individual PSU - especially since any one company can re-brand others so you can end up with multiple original manufacturers in a PSU series. The CXv2 lineup is decent enough (for the price) but the original ones weren't up to scratch.

Advertisement