Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom built marine tank project (pics)

Options
  • 08-12-2011 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Decided to open a new thread with step by step posts and pics to show how we (myself and my girlfriend) get on doing this marine tank.

As some of you may know,Seahorse Aquariams are building a bespoke 300 litre marine tank,bespoke cabinet and bespoke sump too.The tank is being built at the moment and the cabinet will start to be built by Jim on Monday.Hes just waiting for the wood to come in.Seahorse will email us pics of the various stages of the build,so I will post them here,as I get them.:)

In the meantime,while the tank is being built,we have bought in the following items........

1 x Deltec MC500 Protein Skimmer
    1 x FMR75 Fluidised Reactor and Pump
    1 bag of Bio Pellets
    2 x Koralia 4s turbine blowers
    1 x V2 Vectron 600 UV Light Sterilisation System
    1 x 5 staged "pumped" RO system.

The RO system arrived this morning.

I will get all the other equipement together later on and take a pic of it later on today.

Hope some of you get some enjoyment out of this,and if anyone has any ideas or advice,then please feel free to post and advize or tell us.:)

This is our 1st attempt at a marine tank.
    We allready have the large 500 litre Discuss tank and a Tanganyikan tank too,so we have been told that doing a marine tank is the next and most obvious next step for us.

So lets see how we do and get on with a marine setup.........

Regards.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Looking forward to seeing this progress!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fungun wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this progress!!! :pac:

Heres hoping that we have the tank delievered to us in time for Christmass.

Both Jim and Keelan explained to us that the tank has to be left to rest and settle for up to 10 days,after its made,so that the sealant and clear liquid resin seals and sticks to the glass panels propperly.

Should have some progress pics emailed to me on Monday.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

well better late and right than hurried and leaky! :)

Well,we aint getting the tank delievered for Xmass,as there was a delay in the glass comming in for the tank.

Oh well.:(

Another update after a phone call from Seahorse.

Cabinet will be ready to go on Friday,but tank wont be ready till end of the month or 1st week of new year,due to a delay in the glass company delievering the glass to Seahorse.

Ah well,no point in rushing things,especially when it come to a tank being sealed and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hoping to have my little one stocked on xmas eve, assuming the water is okay.

nothing quite as grand as you've got planned though, just a little 55L one for a couple of baby seahorses and clownfish for my wife.

I've a larger tank lined up for when they get bigger too as they will no doubt outgrow that one before very long, but it'll do for now i think.

vibe666 wrote: »
    hoping to have my little one stocked on xmas eve, assuming the water is okay.

nothing quite as grand as you've got planned though, just a little 55L one for a couple of baby seahorses and clownfish for my wife.

I've a larger tank lined up for when they get bigger too as they will no doubt outgrow that one before very long, but it'll do for now i think.

Nice Xmass present for you're wife then.:)

The seahorses are amazing to look at,my girlfriend was facinated by them out in Seahorse Aquariams.

I really like the clown fish,I know everyone has threm and that they are a commonj fish,but they are lovely to look at.

Oh and comgratts on getting you're tank setup.:)

I must have been a bold boy for Santy this year so.:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was in there again today getting some more live sand as i didn't think the 1st bag was enough to give the bottom a proper covering and i was thinking we might be getting something that would enjoy burrowing into it, so i figured it was better to get another bag and put it in now to give it a few days to settle and that it might even help speed up the tank cycle a bit to make sure it's all ready for it's new residents at the weekend (fingers crossed).

still, good things come to those who wait apparently, although i wouldn't know as i'm usually too impatient to find out! :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    still, good things come to those who wait apparently, although i wouldn't know as i'm usually too impatient to find out! :D

I know how you feel.....:D

Well,I must have been good for Santy,because out of the blue I got a call from Keelan in Seahorse Aquariams to say the the cabinet was built,and so too was the marine tank and the sump tank too.
    My girlfriend drove us down the M50 to have a sneak peek and take some pics.
    Also bought a glass CO2 diffusor for the large Discuss tank.
    This will replace the plastic diffusor that is currently in the tank.
    The glass difusor sits lower in the tank and the Co2 spreads out better in the tank with this method.
    Anyway,some pics............

300 litre marine tank (needs another week to seal up 100%).
    DSCF9958.jpg
    DSCF9953.jpg

120 litre Sump Tank
    DSCF9957.jpg

Wallnut cabinet with double doors on each side.
    DSCF9959.jpg
    DSCF9955.jpg

New Glass CO2 diffusor
    DSCF9963.jpg

Existing plastic diffusor.
    DSCF9964.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Very cool.

Did you get itto fit a space?

godtabh wrote: »
    Very cool.

Did you get itto fit a space?

Thanks.:)

It was built to our specific measurements.

Its going into a large open plan area in the house and wil be a "live" room divider with large 7 foot Kentia palm plants either side of it too.

The plants and tank will make a "live room divider".

And the tank can be viewed from both sides of the room.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

paddy147 wrote: »

The plants and tank will make a "live room divider".

And the tank can be viewed from both sides of the room.:)

great idea!

great idea!

Thanks.It was my girlfriends idea.:)

Bought the 6 large 7 foot Kentia Palms in Ikea for 26 euro each.They should have been 50 euro each,but Ikea make a "boo boo" on the pricing of them.

I copped it and argued with Ikea that they should sell me them at 26 euro and not 50 euro.

I won the arguement.So it will be 3 Kentia Palms,then the marine tank,then another 3 Kentia Palms,and that will make the "live room divider".:D

P.S-These are usually around 65-70 euro each in most garden centres.

Forgot to post some of the equipement for the marine tank setup.

Some pics.Some of the equi[pement is 2nd hand and some of it is brand new.

1 x Deltec MC500 Turbo Protein Skimmer
    1 x FMR75 Fluidised Reactor and Pump
    1 bag of Bio Pellets
    2 x Koralia 4s turbine blowers
    1 x V2 Vectron 600 UV Light Sterilisation System
    1 x 5 staged "pumped" RO system.

DSCF9859.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any updates?

godtabh wrote: »
    any updates?

Bit of work and painting being done in the house,and then we should be ready to have it delievered fairly soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

looks great so far cant wait to see it up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Phil dublin

thats looking awesome!! cant wait to see it when its finnished.

Thanks folks.:)

All the walls/plaster have dried out lovely and smooth,and most of it is now painted.
    Still have a small bit of painting and cleaning up left to do out in the kithen.It would be too dangerous to get it all delievered now,and then if something happened to any of it,Id be very pi55ed off indead,as would my girlfriend be too.

I better get on the phone to Keelan out in Seahorse and let him know that we havent forgotten about the tank.:D

• Advertisement

Thanks folks.:)

All the walls/plaster have dried out lovely and smooth,and most of it is now painted.
    Still have a small bit of painting and cleaning up left to do out in the kithen.It would be too dangerous to get it all delievered now,and then if something happened to any of it,Id be very pi55ed off indead,as would my girlfriend be too.

I better get on the phone to Keelan out in Seahorse and let him know that we havent forgotten about the tank.:D

I'm heading out there today. I'll let him know!

We were out in Seahorse today.Paid for the tank,cabinet,and sump in full.

Keelan,and the staff of Seahorse were and are very understanding,and Keelan is going to arrange to deliever all the stuff to the house next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

We were out in Seahorse today.Paid for the tank,cabinet,and sump in full.

Keelan,and the staff of Seahorse were and are very understanding,and Keelan is going to arrange to deliever all the stuff to the house next weekend.

Looking forward to seeing pics of it all set up :p

buzz wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing pics of it all set up :p

So am I,longest fish tank setup thread ever???:D

A chap off the Irish Fish Forum who is a professional kitchen fitter/carpenter is helping to finish off the remaining carpentry work,so that we can give Seahorse the go ahead to deliever all the stuff to us.

Well after a long delay on my side of things,the custom marine tank has arrived and is ready to go.The wallnut cabinet has twin double sided doors for access to the sump on each side.

A MASSIVE thanks to all the staff in Seahorse Aquariams for building this for me and also delievering it and setting it up for me.

All I need now is some live rock,sand and water and we are good to go.

Pics.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very nice paddy. Looking forward to seeing it full of fish.

Very nice paddy. Looking forward to seeing it full of fish.

Thanks Fred.

With regards to stocking it......Some shrimp,a starfish or 2 and around 3-4 Clownfish.Oh and some soft coral too.

Thats about it.:)

Going to have a chat with Keelan out in Seahorse either tomorrow or Sunday about stocking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

looks awesome

how long will it take to cycle it or does it get cycled ?

WIZE wrote: »
    looks awesome

how long will it take to cycle it or does it get cycled ?

The live rock does alot of the work and the marine tank will be fairly quick to cycle.

Also have a Deltec MC500 turbo skimmer,media reactor and also a UV light sterilizer under the cabinet in the sump.

I will be having a chat with Keelan over the weekend about the live rock and getting RO water off him,to get the tank up and running.

• Advertisement

At least I havent managed to kill the Kentia Palm plants yet,my girlfriend is surprised that I have managed to keep the alive and healty so far.:D

Advertisement