Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom built marine tank project (pics)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Great thread Paddy, had an enjoyable read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Peteemax wrote: »
    Great thread Paddy, had an enjoyable read so far.

you should dig out his old one, it's really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you should dig out his old one, it's really good.

Thanks...This one?:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70056489

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you dont mind could you post up the final spec of the thank ie dims, volumes equipment?

Also (again if you dont mind) what kind of money did it set you back in the end?

godtabh wrote: »
    If you dont mind could you post up the final spec of the thank ie dims, volumes equipment?

Also (again if you dont mind) what kind of money did it set you back in the end?

I will do.

The tank size/measurements increased from the original 200 litres up to 300 litres.That was down to me asking for a slightly taller tank to be made.

The sump is an old Juwel 120 litre tank that was modified and reglassed to make it into a sump.

That will hold around 70-80 litres of water underneath the tank in the cabinet.

I will update the thread with all the equipement asap.

I got a fair bit of the equipement 2nd hand from a well known fish forum.;)

If I bought everything new,then Id be looking at around 2000 2200 euro.

• Advertisement

Well I have the tank up and running,well temporarily anyway.

Bought a new low wattage 2500 lph pump and as I type this,the tank and sump are being filled up with fresh water.

I just want to test out this new pump,and also make sure the sump and the main tank are fully watertight.

The pump is only 30 watts,yet it pumps/flows 2500 litres per hour,and pumps to a height of 2 meters.So its perfect for my marine tank and its height of 5 feet 10 inches tall.

I will be getting the live rock and sand from Keelan in Seahorse Aquariams on Wednesday or Thursday next.

Happy Days......so far.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

paddy147 wrote: »

the tank and sump are being filled up with fresh water.

You dont really want fresh water in there!

godtabh wrote: »
    You dont really want fresh water in there!

Its only to check the tank and sump are fully water tight.

It will all be drained down/cleaned out tomorrow and I will be soon making my own salt water very soon by using RO Water from my new RO System and then adding/mixing in sea salt.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

First time I have come across this 'Money Man'. :eek:

Very enjoyable read indeed.

Have fun with your new tank. Cant wait to see what you do with it. :D:mad::D

muckyhands wrote: »
    First time I have come across this 'Money Man'. :eek:

Very enjoyable read indeed. :rolleyes:

Have fun with your new tank. Cant wait to see what you do with it. :D:mad::D

Thanks.

Looking for some ideas what to do with the new tank.

So,what would you do with it??????:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

You need moon lights :D

WIZE wrote: »
    You need moon lights :D

Theres plenty of that.:D

Any updates on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

have you started cycling your tank yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if he's anything like the test of us, he'll have spent so much on the tank, he can't afford to put any fish in it! :pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    if he's anything like the test of us, he'll have spent so much on the tank, he can't afford to put any fish in it! :pac:

Or the girlfriend has kicked him out for spending to much time/money on the fish instead of her

• Registered Users Posts: 16 declanon

Hi Paddy147, I'm thinking about buying a FMR75 Fluidised Reactor - what is your opinion, good or bad?

Thanks, Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 21 suziek21

anyone know if paddy got the tank up, going and filled ....... would love to see the finish product. am new and about to start a 300 litre tank excursion :-) paddy loved reading your thread

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

(Thought i posted on here, but internet must have died first)
    Have to agree with the rest, very interesting read! It's nice to see a bit of thrift-fulness involved!
    I have to ask about the custom stand. I can't tell if its made of real timber or imitation? Was wondering, as I was thinking of a self build (for a smaller tank, but was wondering about prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

(Thought i posted on here, but internet must have died first)
    Have to agree with the rest, very interesting read! It's nice to see a bit of thrift-fulness involved!
    I have to ask about the custom stand. I can't tell if its made of real timber or imitation? Was wondering, as I was thinking of a self build (for a smaller tank, but was wondering about prices...
    I can't see MDF supporting the weight of a 300l tank!

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I can't see MDF supporting the weight of a 300l tank!

Lookin' at it on a laptop, the image still looks unclear. But if I had to guess I'd say it is imitation. Not MDF, but more along the lines of compressed chipboard, like the material kitchen counters are made of, or plywood with a walnut finish perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Most factory made stands like Jewel etc. are made from compressed chip board. Very strong by the way.

Its wallnut veneered compressed chipboard..for those who want to know.

Its a very well built cabinet....and heavy too.

Ive changed my plans...and its not because of my girlfriend and not spending money on her,according to a certain person here....... (cheeky git ).:D

I sold all the marine equipment (Deltec Mc500 Skimmer,Media Reactor,UV Light sterilization system).

I had originally prommised my little girl a guppy tank (according to her) and Im not one to break my prommise.

So that custom built tank,sump and cabinet will now end up being a big guppy tank...(unless she changes her mind again).

Its wallnut veneered compressed chipboard..for those who want to know.

Its a very well built cabinet....and heavy too.

Ive changed my plans...and its not because of my girlfriend and not spending money on her,according to a certain person here....... (cheeky git ).:D

I sold all the marine equipment (Deltec Mc500 Skimmer,Media Reactor,UV Light sterilization system).

I had originally prommised my little girl a guppy tank (according to her) and Im not one to break my prommise.

So that custom built tank,sump and cabinet will now end up being a big guppy tank...(unless she changes her mind again).

No offence but what a waste of a tank! Buy her a small on to keep her happy.

That tank should be used for something special.

I thought it was! cheers for the reply, I was thinking of building a solid wood one, but might cost half the price with the veneered chipboard!

Maybe you could sway her to have "Nemo" in her tank, as common as they are! (If ya hadnt already sold the marine equipment)

The tank is being used for something special and someone special too.

A lovely big guppy tank for my daughter.

Something special for someone very special.

Its still also a lovely focal point for the kitchen/dining area.

But more important than that,Im keeping a prommise to a very special little lady.

To me.....that is priceless.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just how many guppies are you going to have in that?

I'd imagine a tank of that size could take about 90 of them? And once they start breeding your little girl could become one of the largest suppliers of guppies in Ireland! (if she's very young btw, check out "bubble guppies", my daughter loves it).

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just how many guppies are you going to have in that?

I'd imagine a tank of that size could take about 90 of them? And once they start breeding your little girl could become one of the largest suppliers of guppies in Ireland! (if she's very young btw, check out "bubble guppies", my daughter loves it).

My girlfriend says the sump in the cabinet below will now be turned into a giant sponge filter.

I dont know how many guppies though.

Havent a clue to be honest.:confused::D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It'll look very pretty with loads of guppies, and it'll certainly be colourful ... but still, I was really looking forward to seeing a marine set up :(

She's a very lucky kid, a custom built guppy tank!

Start with 20 guppies, then you'll have loads of free guppies in a while. Don't stock it to the max straight away, give them space to breed.

It's not all that mad really, I know someone with a 240L tank who really liked chili rasboras, so filled his 240L tank with a couple of hundred chilis. Nice to see them all shoaling but still a bit strange!

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    It'll look very pretty with loads of guppies, and it'll certainly be colourful ... but still, I was really looking forward to seeing a marine set up :(

She's a very lucky kid, a custom built guppy tank!

Start with 20 guppies, then you'll have loads of free guppies in a while. Don't stock it to the max straight away, give them space to breed.

Thanks.:)

And Im ever luckier to have her.:D

Advertisement