Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dairy cow market

• 08-12-2011 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

im curious , someone told me the other day that the main thing driving the dairy cow market at the moment is demand from across the water in the uk , that due to quota constraints , the market is quite weak domestically , how much are dairy heifers making at the moment anyhow ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bob you know the old saying about curiosity? It killed the cat :D
    I see a lot of ads on donedeal looking for dairy stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

sold cows about 3 weeks ago, some were heading north and the rest went to wales. on the journal on the thursday and all sold by sat morning. could have sold any amount of them, all heading to border counties or north of the border.
    1350 for 1st 2nd and 3rds, most were 3rds, in hind sight could have got at least another €100 a head for them, but money in the bank and all that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

dar31 wrote: »
    sold cows about 3 weeks ago, some were heading north and the rest went to wales. on the journal on the thursday and all sold by sat morning. could have sold any amount of them, all heading to border counties or north of the border.
    1350 for 1st 2nd and 3rds, most were 3rds, in hind sight could have got at least another €100 a head for them, but money in the bank and all that..
    That's good news to me as I have 20 first calvers to sell in the spring. Were you cows incalf or calved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

dar31 wrote: »

good prices considering the country is full of cows

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

saw a report from kilmallock mart on the limerick leader that spring calvers made from 1050 to 1350 last monday.

• Advertisement

saw a report from kilmallock mart on the limerick leader that spring calvers made from 1050 to 1350 last monday.

not big money for incalf stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

irishh_bob wrote: »
    not big money for incalf stock

especially when you consider that fat dry cows are making 1000,think it makes more sence to let off the old girls

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nige2000

keep going wrote: »
    especially when you consider that fat dry cows are making 1000,think it makes more sence to let off the old girls

large fleshed holstein cows making up to 1200
    but if i go shopping for cows get hard to find any i like less than 1800 very odd time ill get for less
    late lactation in calf cows being the best value and they settle in better too

nige2000 wrote: »
    large fleshed holstein cows making up to 1200
    but if i go shopping for cows get hard to find any i like less than 1800 very odd time ill get for less
    late lactation in calf cows being the best value and they settle in better too

they werent making 1800 last year , why would they be making it this year when the country is over quota and overrun with dairy stock

should have mentioned I've a disease called pedigree breeding the northern buyers are after that type of cow their keeping he price high at the auctions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

nige2000 wrote: »
    should have mentioned I've a disease called pedigree breeding the northern buyers are after that type of cow their keeping he price high at the auctions

ive a full family that im thinking of selling that might suit you

a vixan by canyon breeze allen from a rudolph from a starbuck gave 12000lt 3rd lact EX91
    her daughter is a toystory gave 13000lt 2nd lact vg88

her other daughter is a yearling-(the only good breeding in her family) an FLT heifer-a smasher would have m taafe drouling in the ring

really thinking of selling this family as they dont fit in the rest of the herd. too low of protein

stanflt wrote: »
    ive a full family that im thinking of selling that might suit you

a vixan by canyon breeze allen from a rudolph from a starbuck gave 12000lt 3rd lact EX91
    her daughter is a toystory gave 13000lt 2nd lact vg88

her other daughter is a yearling-(the only good breeding in her family) an FLT heifer-a smasher would have m taafe drouling in the ring

really thinking of selling this family as they dont fit in the rest of the herd. too low of protein

maybe my type of breeding alright

whats the pedigree name of the toystory ill look it up
    what part of the country are u in

whens the last time the toystory calved

ill give u a ring during the week found out who u are your not too far away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Jenny-lou Toystory. Only ever read poor things about BW Marshall so wouldn't be a fan, although he seems to be okay.

Jenny-lou Toystory. Only ever read poor things about BW Marshall so wouldn't be a fan, although he seems to be okay.

ya wasnt a fan of marshall or patron but think this cross worked out seems like a sensible cross on an allen

usually look up bulls from country of origin, i have little faith in icbf i cant see a pattern in the proofs when converted into ' icbf talk' you will see this more evident when you look up bulls you are familar with andcompare icbf to country of origin

heres what id look at

http://genex.crinet.com/dairy/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HO07235&lang=&Breed=HO

http://genex.crinet.com/dairy/index.php?action=DETAILPHOTOS&code=1HO07235

anyway hes sold 1.8 million straws cant all be idiots

Advertisement