Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up IP camera in remote location

Options
  • 08-12-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I want to install an IP camera(s) on a remote location (farm sheds) and view livestock from home / phone etc.
    Unfortunately there is no telephone line currently there for broadband.

I know of several companies which supply rural broadband – onwave, wimax etc.

However I don’t know what package I should be looking at. E.g upload rate.
    What do I need to run an IP camera?

I was considering using a dongle, but I read here that this is not the way to go - IP addresses keep changing.

I would prefer a “pay as you go option”, as the cameras would be redundant for 6 months of the year. But I don’t think this is a runner.
    What is the best way to move forward on this?

Help .:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have line of sight between home and the shed you can just extend your home network with a couple of antennae and you wouldn't need the internet at all.

Have a look on www.tranzeo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MuckyWelly

Sorry, I should have clarified.
    The location is roughly 5 miles away from me.

I have broadband where I live....thats all fine;......this location has not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

You could look into a 3g camera. Have a google there are a few out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

MuckyWelly wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have clarified.
    The location is roughly 5 miles away from me.

I have broadband where I live....thats all fine;......this location has not.

File miles wouldn't be a problem if you have direct line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Yes you could setup a link from your house to the sheds if there is line of slight, and you'd want Ubiquiti gear instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MuckyWelly

no chance of line of sight being an option. too many buildings, hills, etc in way.

the 3g cameras i've seen appear to be motion capture only. cant find anything with a feed. Am i missing something obvious?

Advertisement