Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to plant hedge-bare rooted

Options
  • 08-12-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

sorry if this has been asked already but i can't seem to find any posts

just wondering about sowing bare rooted hedging...not sure if i should do it now or feb/march 2012. have a large area to plant. am going for either copper beech or green privet...thats a whole other decision!!

haven't a huge amount of knowledge about gardening but hoping you guys may have some advice..

thanks a million

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sorry if this has been asked already but i can't seem to find any posts

just wondering about sowing bare rooted hedging...not sure if i should do it now or feb/march 2012. have a large area to plant. am going for either copper beech or green privet...thats a whole other decision!!

haven't a huge amount of knowledge about gardening but hoping you guys may have some advice..

thanks a million

According to my girlfriend...Yes,You can plant it now.Just as long as the ground and soil is not frozen over.

Add in some manure/fertilizer pellets into the hole as you plant each bare root.

Also,hornbeam is a nice hedge and a bit hardier than the beech.Hornbeam has pointier leaves.

We just recently planted a lot of 3 foot tall bare root hornbeams.We planted in a staggered line of 4 per meter.

We planted some bare roots this time last year this same way,and they absolutely took off when they started budding and leafing earier this year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Same here, have a nice hedge developing from whips planted last year. Now is the perfect time, so long as the ground is not hard or sloppy wet. Digging a trench is easier than digging individual holes for the plants. Clips on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I think now is a good time as the ground has not yet got cold. I have just planted a beech hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

the saying was that any month with a 'R' in it was suitable for planting, though the previous two winters made even the growers change their thinking,
    any planting will not gain anything between now and febuary, but if last year cold snap reappears, will probably fail,
    with most nurseries rethinking or even cancelling their policies on plants failing
    so 'hedge' your bets:rolleyes:.... and let the nursery take the risk of frost damage, and do your planting in febuary......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If it's of any help, M.T. Cranium has offered a prediction that January could be the month with the hardest weather.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

slowburner wrote: »
    If it's of any help, M.T. Cranium has offered a prediction that January could be the month with the hardest weather.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419308

And the Meteorologists on RTE will tell you that any forecast beyond 10 days is bóllox and has no scientific basis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Squiggle wrote: »
    And the Meteorologists on RTE will tell you that any forecast beyond 10 days is bóllox and has no scientific basis.
    Indeed Met Eireann do say that.

Advertisement