Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've committed social welfare fraud!

• 08-12-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey

Hope someone can best advise me what to do!!... I was receiving state maternity benefit up until 4 weeks ago but I am unfit to return to work until Feb 2012. I've applied for illness and have been receiving since finishing mb.

Problem is, this morning i logged on to my bank account to see that my employer paid me holiday pay last week (plus tax back) and a holiday week + xmas bonus this week. But i have already sent in certs to social for these 2 weeks!! I haven't been checking my bank as I've been pretty much in a bubble these last 2 wks so i didn't realise til now!:o

I rang the illness benefit section this morning but was on hold for an HOUR and couldn't get through to an operator!!! :eek: so i have no idea what to do now! I have committed fraud but unintentionally!!:confused: If they don't already that I've been payed by employer than they'll now soon enough and think I done a sly one! I'll be cut off and I need my payment until the end of Feb!!:( They could be writing a letter to me as I speak accusing me of all sorts!!:eek::eek:

My Query is... I owe money to someone but who??? and can i keep my xmas bonus!!!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Write to the illness benefit section explaining what has happened and ask them what you should do next.Register the letter and do it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Thanks MP22,

I was thinking of doing that but just now i got told that, It's my employer I'm liable to and not the SW as I'm certified unfit for work and informed them with medical certs. I'm not on holiday leave. Do you know if thats the case? :confused:

I could have been given completely the wrong information but is it possible to even it out by taking 2 weeks unpaid holidays at a later date or even pay back my employer?? I rang my payroll dept but the girl that looks after our dept is on annual leave til the end of next week! I'll be honest and say, ideally if there was any way i could keep my bonus and holiday pay now and take unpaid holidays before I go back, is what I'd go for.....I'm not very flush this christmas!:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In the past if you were out sick you would get payed by your employer and receive benefit,some employers would pay the difference between the illness benefit and full pay.Others would pay the full amount and the employee would hand up the social cheque.Things might not be as bad as they seem.

If you are entitled to pay for sick leave

If you get sick pay from work, your employer will probably require you to sign over any Illness Benefit payment to them for as long as you get sick pay from work. When your sick pay ends, your employer should stop getting your Illness Benefit.

from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

A MP22 said...it's often the case that the employer pays you as normal when out sick....the important thing to do is to send on the SW cheques to your employer...talk to them....I really dont think this is an issue....as for your bonus...that's contractual between yourself and your employer....just check to make sure the internal salary payment arrangements made....most large employers work a back month so what's given this month in salary may be taken next month due to your illness...it's no biggie...you just need to check with your company what process is in place when in long terms sick leave and take note of monies paid / owed to date....get well soon...

Advertisement