Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console recommendation required for 4&7 year old kids

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

This sounds like a question that has probably already being answered and if so, sorry. I am trying to establish which system would be most suitable for a four year old boy and a seven year old girl. Neither my wife or I know anything about computer games. They both love the Nintendo DS and although they generally pick things up quite quickly they tend to stick to a couple of games such as the super Mario games even though we have bought numerous other DS games. I guess what I am wondering is which system is easiest to operate, understand and enjoy.

Thanks,

Moycullen1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I'd go for the XBOX with Kinect - gives them the best of both worlds (hands free gaming and standard controller gaming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Four and seven? Wii. Definitely. The games are more suited to kids (albeit there are a few gems for the mature gamers.......I feel it's more directed at the younger gamers).

While kinect is fun (for about five minutes) the games that are out for it lose their sheen pretty fast. I could list the amount of titles for it on one hand that I've had fun playing, but wouldn't play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm gonna go Wii in this case. They like mario, they're very young, the Wii is a fair bit cheaper afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I thought that you were trolling about what was better in general.

Wii for kids of that age. The games are all primarily aimed for that age group.
    Just don't buy it new get it secondhand as Nintendo will release a new console in the next 18months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Given the costs involved and their age and the fact they seem happy to play mario games then I'd side on the Wii also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

It's the policy on this forum not to have V's Threads, as they tend to get heated and trolls seem to come out of the woodwork. However, this is a valid question considering you have small kids and require some advice.

Therefore, I'll change the title of the thread to something slightly less like "troll bait" and pop back and give my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Thanks for the comments so far folks. I have been told that the xbox kinnect can be a bit sophisticated for four year olds. I also like the fact that they can get to know the wii with a character that they are familiar with. In relation to the wii is there a general all round game that they would enjoy playing alone and with or against my wife and I. Its marketed quite well as a family entertainment centre on the tv but I suspect the choice of game is quite important. Again given the ages I guess simplicity should be a factor.

Ok, that's done.

As of right now, the Wii is without doubt the console of choice for any family with small kids.

It's a fairly basic console but has so many titles available for it designed purely with you kids in mind, that there really isn't a competition. 100's of games to choose for and the console itself is quite cheap to buy now. Bare in mind that a new Wii is due to be launched soon so the current model will be outdated within 12 months (but still perfectly fine to use).

However, Microsoft have recognised this huge gap in the marketplace that Ninetendo ruled and have recently released Kinect (controllerless gaming) and a string of kids orientated games that it's compatible with. This is the future of gaming and has come a long way already this year. Over the course of the next year or two, Kinect will really come into it's own.

The downside of Kinect/360 gaming is the price tag, it'll work out far more expensive but you will be getting cutting edge technology and the 360 still has a few years left before being replaced with the next generation of console. Other benefits are that you will be able to use your 360/Kinect as a media extender in your livingroom to watch movies, music and photo albums. The 360 is also High Definition so the picture quality will be far superior to the Wii.

So, in summary, buy the Wii unless you want to go that extra mile and get something that you and your partner might actually use too and can justify the extra costs.

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments so far folks. I have been told that the xbox kinnect can be a bit sophisticated for four year olds. I also like the fact that they can get to know the wii with a character that they are familiar with. In relation to the wii is there a general all round game that they would enjoy playing alone and with or against my wife and I. Its marketed quite well as a family entertainment centre on the tv but I suspect the choice of game is quite important. Again given the ages I guess simplicity should be a factor.

Try asking on the linked forum below about specific Wii games, as this is an Xbox forum, discussing Wii games here isn't allowed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=578

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Der Visp

I've read reviews of kinect on amazon.ie, and all agree that the Kinect isn't suiitable for the average house as you need to be at least 8ft away from the tv for it to work (instructions say 6ft, but reviews say 8). It's something to keep in mind when choosing what type to get.

Hopefully that will be addressed in future editions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have an xbox and my 6 year old niece plays the kinect games everytime shes over and she really likes them but the actual controller games are a bit too advanced for her.

but my 9 year old nephew can play the controller games just fine.

but remember the xbox can do more then just playing games it can play dvds
    and you can rent movies from zune and youtube will be added soon
    and you can also use it to stream videos too.

where as the wii can only play games.

its just something to consider

the xbox is more then just a game console

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Thanks for all the help folks. I bought a Wii bundle over the weekend which included three games and a whole pile of extra attachments, second control, two wheels etc. Looking forward to Christmas morning. Although it isn't quite the same as the time Homer bought Marge the bowling ball I have a feeling I'll quite enjoy it myself!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement