Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting overgrown lawn in winter

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Ive allowed (been lazy) my back garden lawn to get out of control. I last cut it August and now its standing at about 10 inches.

Was gonna wait for a day or two of dry weather and then let her have it.
    Is there any reason I shouldn't cut now, it being winter etc?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Not really, just don't "skin" it.

Wait for the driest windiest couple of days (if only) and set your mower blades to the highest setting. If you have the option to side-eject the grass do that and collect with a rake or if not, empty the grass-box often.

Once the cut grass is cleared, drop the blades down a notch and go again.

Watch out for damage (wheel-tracks, foot-prints, etc) to the lawn-surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The average mower will have some difficulty cutting long grass and if grass is damp the mower is more likely going to pull/rip grass.

If possible use a strimmer to reduce height by half and mower to reduce height to 3". Any lower runs the risk of grass being damaged by colder temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Agree on that last post. But I think you should let it go and tackle it in early spring if we get a fine spell. The risk of cutting with the worst weather on the way is that you could damage the plants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

+1 on leaving it until spring.
    Unsightly though it may be, anything that you do to it now will make it look worse and will make for even more work later on.

agreed on leaving it until the dry spring

especially if you have a ride on. The ground is holding a lot of water now and your ride on will leave imprints in your lawn that can only be removed by digging or back filling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

I disagree , cut it once only .collect all d cutting in d box . Dont allow d clippings to spread on d lawn .kep it high and get off your lawn quick .dont use a rake . Dont cut it twice and its ok if it pulls .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What about soil compaction if it's wet, or damaging the grass if it is frozen?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

redser7 wrote: »
    What about soil compaction if it's wet, or damaging the grass if it is frozen?
    Absolutely agree.
    There are very good reasons why farmers are discouraged from ploughing in the winter - it destroys the soil structure and causes erosion and loss of nutrients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

I cut mine last week . No bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brenbro

I would cut the grass at a high level, lightly, so as not to let the grass get to high,
    It will be very tough come spring, and alot harder to let young growth,
    My advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement