Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private health insurance or not

• 08-12-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking up private health insurance the last few days. The only one i can see that kind of fits what i'm looking for is Aviva Level 1 Hospital. It comes in at €638 but doesn't include any contributions towards GP visits, physio etc etc.

I then went looking up about the medical card and it seems that I'm entitled to one. Would i be crazy to get private health insurance when i am entitled to the medical card and all it's benefits, like free GP visits 10c per prescription item etc? Or are there some benefits to private health insurance that i'm missing.

Or, indeed would i be best off getting both?

I'd really appreciate some help with this. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Get the medical card if your entitled to it, there is nothing wrong having both. Your GP and perscription charges will be covered but you can still access the benefits of the private healthcare system.

It boils down to cost and your own pririties whether you go for the private insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lorraine 2

Please help as i'm totally confused by the health authority comparsions website. My husband and myself have separate quinn essential starter. Due for renewal soon. As we do not live near any cities we are very limited in what hospitals to use. Our local hospital is filled to the max so we would be lucky getting a public bed never mind semi or private room. Which plan do you think would be best for us 2 adults no kids. I was looking maybe at the essential choice as it has a little cover for GP Visits which I would make a couple of times a year. Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would go for one of the lower cover plans and go with HSA for GP cover etc.

www.hsf.ie

http://www.hsf.eu.com/ireland/

If you pay about €39 euro per month, you and your partner could get half everyday costs refunded up to a certain amount. I have still not seen a plan from the health insures as good as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

The Quinn Essential Choice will not cover you if you want to go private for maternity but no health insurance cover will pay in full for this even the most expensive cover. This policy also has a family excess of €300. This €300 is what the health insurance company allows for costs - ie they allow you €51 euro for a consultant visit and €20 for gp visit when you will pay far more than this.
    If you have to have a day case procedure in a private hospital or stay over night you will have to pay €262 or €400 of a shortfall.
    If you had to make a few visit a year this would end up costing you a lot.
    Private hospital would include St Vincent's private, High tech would include mater private, blackrock clinic, the hermitage and any cover you considering should allow you to attend a private or high tech hospital even if you have to pay an excess. When considering an excess look at an amount of money rather than a % of cost ie 60% ie if your stay cost €10,000 they will pay €6000.

Advertisement