Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run April 15th..

• 08-12-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

:o hey everyone......need some motivation/company here, i was running last yr, ran my first 5k in April...loved it hard course on the day but i did it...:D

since then i'm afriad its been very much down hill, a landslide really, hurt my ankle then a few months ago, and that was then the excuse, torn ligaments....

So i'm trying to get myself back into it, started the C25K last week did 3 days, it was hard on the ankle, really was walking fast rather than a jog, but i did it, since then well i've just been sitting and eating :pac:

would anyone be interested in keeping this tread going until the run in April, would appreciate any motivation and company along the way :)

thanks in advance and hopefully we'll make it to the run...fingers crossed..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

okay so last night, late i finally got up off the couch....which was hard after eating a wheat free ham sambo at 9, but i did get up, and did the W1D2, i've already completed week 1, but my ankle is still at me..

so i'm going to do another week1 run this saturday/sunday..then get myself ready for swim on Monday night and then a run on Tuesday..week 2 here i come, i can honestly say this motivate me last night...and running all i could think was YES you can do it, and Yes it feels so great...I'm running on a treadmill at the minute - due to weather and darkness, but will move out to the raods on the days i can...

This is what motivated me last night to get up....
    "How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time: “You know how good you’re going to feel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Thumper10, you should start a log in the URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139"]Training Logs[/URL sub-forum, or even have the mods move this thread to there. You'll find that keeping a public log of your activities (and any questions you might have) will really help with the motivation.

Personally, I find it helps to plan my week in advance, e.g. what days you will do what type of runs, as it's easier to stick to a scheduled plan when you know what you have to do on a particular day. Also, treat yourself. If you've hit a specific target (speed/distance/time on feet) then recognize it and celebrate it. We're not doing this running lark as a punishment. It's supposed to be fun and rewarding. Best of luck with the goal.

Hi Thumper10, you should start a log in the URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139"]Training Logs[/URL sub-forum, or even have the mods move this thread to there. You'll find that keeping a public log of your activities (and any questions you might have) will really help with the motivation.

Personally, I find it helps to plan my week in advance, e.g. what days you will do what type of runs, as it's easier to stick to a scheduled plan when you know what you have to do on a particular day. Also, treat yourself. If you've hit a specific target (speed/distance/time on feet) then recognize it and celebrate it. We're not doing this running lark as a punishment. It's supposed to be fun and rewarding. Best of luck with the goal.

Thanks Krusty, some good advise, how do i move the thread???

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

<click>

sorry what do i do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's done, the thread is in Training Logs

:D yeh got it, thanks a million, think this might work to keep me motivated, fingers crossed

so tommorrow is going to be W1D3, looking forward to doing it, think positively that i'll get up to do it...

Whoo hoo....just back from my W1D3 (x2) run outside, it was cold out there, but oh so rewarding :D ankle was twinging a bit but will rest it now till tuesday, think that's why i use to get out, it was spring - coming into summer and the morning were lovely to be able to get out, so thinking now i can do a run at the weekends weather permitting .....

right this morning i just couldnt get out of thebed, storms blowing outside, treadmill was the lastplace i wanted to be, and wont be home till 8/9 tonight, but have changed my reminder on the phone and hopefully i will be doing W2D1 this evening:o

• Advertisement

well i did W2D1, ankle was sore while runing, big different from the first week, but sure i completed it, so yippeee, next one now hopefully tomorrow before the christmas party.....

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Hi Thumper

I started the C25k on the 2nd of August, completed it on the 21st of October. Started the Bridge to 10K on Monday the 24th of October and completed that on the 3rd of December. I am now in the second week of Half Marathon training for the Wicklow Half Marathon on the 25th of March.

I was in pretty bad shape when I started the C25K (overweight still am, but not as much) and every run no matter how short seemed daunting. While it is still hard to get out there on cold dark nights it is still great to know that you are progressing. Some inspiration I have found when I have thought about not going out is knowing that people on boards will be out at the same time, if they don't let the weather stop them then I won't let it stop me.

Good luck with your training and I hope the ankle stays strong.

LarMan

thanks a million larman, will keep that in mind, i really do enjoy the run, its the getting off the couch.. well done you on the runs, you've done so well, you really should be prowd...and just to say thanks well you've inspired me to defo run tomorrow before the party, thanks

well another week starting, the dancing moves on the floor on saturday night were electric.....;)

Legs and ankloe are a bit sore, so going to take it easy, maybe have today off and try a run tomorrow, or even walk it, ankle doggy....but great night out :D

Merry Christmas everyone, so decided to rest ankle for a few days...got up yesterday and went for jog, week 2 in the couch to 5k, meaning I only jog for 90 seconds, both ankles were killing me, I mean this morning im stiff walking, and I even used anti inflammatory cream yesterday, but they are swollen......not sure what ti do, cant run again now, till I dont ?now when ....really disappointed......need physio again I think, on both now...........what to do

Advertisement