Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATTACKS IN THE NIGHT

• 08-12-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I know this should really be for the small holdings forum but i thought it would get for attention here.... a mink has been my worst enemy the past 2 weeks:mad: he has killed 11 of my 15 hens. i dont no what to do the dog has chased him away numerous times but he never catches him! i was just wondering does anyone have any old remedies for getting rid of them (i.e) dig a hole and put wavin pipe down he goes into it and cant get out etc...

at this stage catching him alive and throwing him somewhere else isnt an option :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You need to get yourself some mink traps - plenty of advice in the hunting forum on this topic:)

See here:http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=mink+traps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Perhaps you should have found out about keeping poultry before you purchased your chickens?

Electric fence/enclosure and traps.

Its worth spending that little bit extra and getting a good quality, galvanised, steel mesh, mink trap for sturdiness and long life. If that mink bounty ever comes in you will be laughing:D;)

PS: As regards what bait to use in the trap - I've found canned sardines from LIDL to do the business around my own place:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

wavin pipe - use fish at the bottom - they can resist it. As for it still being alive - use shotgun when it is in pipe - no problem with relocation after that. If you dont have a gun, get onto local gun club, neighbouring farmer etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

at this stage catching him alive and throwing him somewhere else isnt an option :D

Im not so sure it is legal to "relocate" vermin, after you've trapped them!

Anyone know the legislation on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Bizzum wrote: »
    Im not so sure it is legal to "relocate" vermin, after you've trapped them!

Anyone know the legislation on this?

As long as the traps used to catch them conform to set regulations, it is not illegal to relocate vermin. I have been in touch with the NPWS about this before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Relocation only moves the problem to the next person - they are vermin, have no natural predators - the only relocation should be when they have been snuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

well..... 11 out of my 15 hens later... the mink is gone! the auld wavin pipe did the trick got the neighbour to shoot him. i was asking in my parish and it seems this mink was attacking more than my farm!! so il be due a pint in the local anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Leave the pipe baited, there could be more

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The only relocation for a mink is to minky heaven!:D There is a 3 euro bounty on mink tails if you are a NARGC gun club member, its in since around october I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

homerhop wrote: »
    As long as the traps used to catch them conform to set regulations, it is not illegal to relocate vermin. I have been in touch with the NPWS about this before

So I can trap a few dozen Rats and head off as I please to unleash my problem on the unsuspecting public?

Careful now..........I might just head to Kildare:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Bizzum wrote: »
    So I can trap a few dozen Rats and head off as I please to unleash my problem on the unsuspecting public?

Careful now..........I might just head to Kildare:)

yup, i asked specifically could animals such as foxes rabbits etc be trapped and relocated as there are certain organisations relocating foxes onto lands around me.

Work away was thinking of getting a good smoker and ratting terrier and doing a few ditches around some of the local farm yards.

homerhop wrote: »
    be trapped and relocated as there are certain organisations relocating foxes onto lands around me.

Sounds like even more lamping fun to had for your goodself Homer:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

i caught one, had killed 12 13 hens a couple of roosters, i beat him to death with a stick :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

i caught one, had killed 12 13 hens a couple of roosters, i beat him to death with a stick :eek:

Join THIS crowd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Join THIS crowd :D

hahahaha:D i got the ***tard and there was no way he was walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

always like to have a few fen traps set, they kill rat & mink clean & quick, if you have live catch traps, local gunclub would be very happy to shoot it for you.

Had a difference of opinion with a Rat last week, he thought he could help himself to my pig feed, tapped him on the shoulder wth a shovel, he ignored me so i kept tapping !! :)

must leave out a few blue sweets for his brothers, its being & all !!

Advertisement