Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help or Child going on ebay :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh YVE, my heart really goes out to you. I'm a first time mum too and my little one slept like you little guy before this episode. She only had to hear me making the bottle and she'd be nearly back asleep. She's 14 months now but she only get teeth at 10 months too. And I'm pregnant too!!

She would wake up screaming and then after I gave her the bottle, IF, she drank some of it she would scream until she puked, could only be 3 minutes later.

The chemist advised nurophen too for the anti inflammatory qualities when I said calpol wasn't working.

Even when I brought her down stairs and watched telly, she wasnt herself, she was clearly in pain or pi55ed off!

I usually just brought her down stairs rather than bed as she'd just wake up other half.

All that time, when I look back at photos I realised her cheeks were massive and her eyes were sunken form lack of sleep etc.

When she was 10 and a half months she got 2 teeth one morning and after that she was much better.

I also got the amber necklace, I found them brilliant though I couldnt really relax knowing it was around her neck in the night.

I think your doing everything as well as you can, listen to what the doctor says and make sure he is checked for everything.

It will get better, I am sure of it.

Thank you so much for your post..

So there is light at the end of this tunnel... Eunan is 9 months and I am 6 months pregnant and I want all this over and done with well before our next one arrives.

Eunan, too is the odd time brought downstairs and he cries and sobs and is tetchy even when we put on baby youtube vids which he loves and all sorts. nothing seems to help him. The three of us are going around puffy eyed and his little eyelids are all swollen from tiredness..

yea with regards the necklace thing - have read up on it proper since earlier suggestion and it says not suitable for babies under 1 year in their sleep... my lad is a typical boy and pulls at everything - i dont know if i would be able to relax knowing he had it on...

I am so glad I put this thread up because I honestly feel more confident now in my explanations to doc plus I can suggest the acid reflux thing which was kindly pointed out earlier... :)

Himself has been in bed now since around 7.30 and he will inevitably be awake before eleven and he will work himself into an awful way...

roll on gp and if acid reflux is the problem fingers crossed for a sleep filled night tomorrow night.. and if it it really is his teeth only then bloody hell the nurofen is just doing nothing for him

Ayla wrote: »
    Agreed, you'd hardly do that to an adult, but somehow folks think it's ok to do it to a baby who has no concept what the heck's going on.

i know a couple who are both working who leave their little fella alone for the night... like proper... they sleep one end of house and he sleeps other and they dont turn on a monitor...

I think its awful

They think its awful to be tired going to work

he prob sobs his little heart out nightly and there is no one there to go to him......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yve wrote: »
    roll on gp and if acid reflux is the problem fingers crossed for a sleep filled night tomorrow night.. and if it it really is his teeth only then bloody hell the nurofen is just doing nothing for him

Make sure you tell GP that nurofen's not doing anything. Also, it could be ear infections like someone suggested, or respiratory stuff that's all related to the teething. Teething is a beast of a time - it causes *so* many other problems that you never would have guessed.

Good luck w/ GP & a suggestion - don't let him/her fob you off & say just deal with it. Make sure your man gets a good look over.

Yve my heart goes out to you, you must be at your wits end. Your doctor I guarantee will not refer you back to your PHN. It sounds very like reflux to me, have you tried infasol drops (name might be slightly wrong, it's been a few years). Maybe try sleeping him in his buggy beside your bed tonight so that his top half is slightly raised, it can help with reflux (if this is the case and I'm not a medical professional by any means) but anyway good luck with GP tomorrow and let us know how you get on.:)

Thanks for this info. I am going to discuss this DEFINITE with the doc tomorrow... have not tried infasol? and never knew about the acid reflux thing. is it infacol ? the stuff for colicy babies? am googling infasol here but not much happening

Make sure you tell GP that nurofen's not doing anything. Also, it could be ear infections like someone suggested, or respiratory stuff that's all related to the teething. Teething is a beast of a time - it causes *so* many other problems that you never would have guessed.

Good luck w/ GP & a suggestion - don't let him/her fob you off & say just deal with it. Make sure your man gets a good look over.

If it is the case that it could he an ear/chest infection (which I am kinda hoping it is tbh so we can nip this thing) would it not be playing up on him in the day also or do the symptoms generally only manifest late at night when lying down ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Try looking for Infacol - I think that's what FriendlyLady was referring to

Also, you're right - if it was an infection it would rear up during the day too. But if it's an irritation it could be irritated (for lack of a better term) when he's laying down

Try looking for Infacol - I think that's what FriendlyLady was referring to

Also, you're right - if it was an infection it would rear up during the day too. But if it's an irritation it could be irritated (for lack of a better term) when he's laying down

Ah yes Infacol, we used to give that to him when he was a wee tiny baba :)

Thanks for all your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i have an almost 10 mth old too and he is now a bit crazy at night - currently sitting beside me hopping around and making all his new sounds.
    he is just nuts also for the lst few weeks, impossible to put down in the evenings. ( he is gone since i started this post). there is a developmental thing around this time also that they are just more active and more aware.
    with my daughter i used to end up strapping her into the pushchair to get her to go back to sleep around this time. i'd jsut get her down then the older son would start and i was working fulltime.
    if you think he is teething, try the necklace. i have used one for all 3 from 3 months. they fit inside their clothes and they mostly do not notice them. they are strong enough that i have used the same on for all three and it is still intact.
    poor you, i have been that soldier. Try the gentle birth hypnobirthing cds to get good quality rest for yourself and sleep when he sleeps. F the house work.

btw, i have to be honest and say my older son did not sleep through the night regularly until he was 4.

lynski wrote: »

btw, i have to be honest and say my older son did not sleep through the night regularly until he was 4.
    :(
    aw man - feel like crying reading that bit ha ha

i have such awe and respect for anyone who works full time job and faces all of this at night. i lost my job last year and i honestly dunno if i could manage it at present. but then i suppose you just have to get on with it...

f the house work - loving the attitude :)

HE IS AWAKE ................ :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't stress... cuddle him and love him, reassure him and try and sit with him until he goes back to sleep. If he susses you're stressed, he'll be stressed too.

As I said, my three year old doesn't sleep through, she used to scream no matter where she was when she was your little guys age. Soother if he has one and a lot of love and reassurance. I know it's hard for you all but it will start to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

seriously agree. cuddle cuddle and more cuddle.
    there is only one thing they want and that is your arms.
    i have gone from total routine, in own room at 12 wks, no talking no eye contact at night, etc etc to a feed on demand, cuddle on cue, co-sleeping(ish) no routine. and the third is the calmest baby on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Would he be constipated which would cause pain. Is the crying sharp and sounds like pain or is is a cry for company? if you think teeth what about letting him suck on frozen water stick lolly to help cool the area. Maybe dozol about half hour before bedtime to help him sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Sounds like you're going through a really tough time. I had a week of it recently with my 9 month old, then he got his first tooth and settled again. By the way I tried the Amber necklace and wrapped it around his ankle at night so I wouldn't worry about him choking. I gave up on it though as it didn't seem to make any difference with my son; in fact he seemed crankier when wearing it!

I hope the doctor is able to give you some help tomorrow, but the main thing to remember is that this will pass and will hopefully be a distant memory in a couple of weeks. Hard to tell yourself that at 3am though!

MaxCharlie wrote: »
    Would he be constipated which would cause pain. Is the crying sharp and sounds like pain or is is a cry for company? if you think teeth what about letting him suck on frozen water stick lolly to help cool the area. Maybe dozol about half hour before bedtime to help him sleep

Dozol is not recommended for the under 2's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

lynski wrote: »
    i have an almost 10 mth old too and he is now a bit crazy at night - currently sitting beside me hopping around and making all his new sounds.
    he is just nuts also for the lst few weeks, impossible to put down in the evenings. ( he is gone since i started this post). there is a developmental thing around this time also that they are just more active and more aware.
    with my daughter i used to end up strapping her into the pushchair to get her to go back to sleep around this time. i'd jsut get her down then the older son would start and i was working fulltime.
    if you think he is teething, try the necklace. i have used one for all 3 from 3 months. they fit inside their clothes and they mostly do not notice them. they are strong enough that i have used the same on for all three and it is still intact.
    poor you, i have been that soldier. Try the gentle birth hypnobirthing cds to get good quality rest for yourself and sleep when he sleeps. F the house work.

Aisling will be 1 on December 20th and for the last few weeks she's been waking around 2am for 3/4 hours of playtime :(
    She's not hungry, she's not in pain (and by the way I have an amber necklace and it has made no difference when she is teething the only thing i'd swear by is the Dentinox gel (can be reapplied every 20 minutes) she's not cold I have NO IDEA why she keeps waking but trashing the house at 3am has become a past time!!
    I've convinced myself she'll grow out of it :rolleyes: in the meantime we are taking turns at night with her :(

Back on topic slightly.... Yes I know the feeling of selling the baby :D
    Ash had tonsillitis back in October, the poor pet was on antibiotics and had a really bad time of it day & night I remember waking the hubby one morning at 6.30 telling him to "Take her or I'll kill her or myself or the whole household" I felt so bad because I knew she was sick but after 8 hours of walking the floors with her I needed the break!
    It is SOOOO frustrating when they are in pain and there is so little you can do, my heart goes out to you OP
    At least as your little one gets bigger & stronger things should get easier

Just keep telling yourself "This too will pass"

Good luck & chin up!

MaxCharlie wrote: »

hey there:)
    Nope little man definite not constipated. 2- 3 poos daily.

it's not company unfortunately because he screams even when we have nhim in the bed for cuddles.

and......................................... none the wiser tbh.

No chest / ear infection.

highly unlikely to be acid reflux as if this was the case he would be pukey after food and bottles in general but I asked for gaviscon junior to try just in case.

we discussed everything - he looked in his mouth and all he can really put it down to is teething with possible earache when waking...

if the screaming persists over next week I have to go back to him.

He reckons Eunan is too young to have little nightmares and really could be a very bad spell of teething.. as he said some babies dont have hard time and others do. so that was that ladies :(:(

I also turned a shade of green when in the waiting room - got talking to a guy who had an 8 month old with him who had three teeth.... jealous.ie

Yve wrote: »
    and......................................... none the wiser tbh.

No chest / ear infection.

highly unlikely to be acid reflux as if this was the case he would be pukey after food and bottles in general but I asked for gaviscon junior to try just in case.

we discussed everything - he looked in his mouth and all he can really put it down to is teething with possible earache when waking...

if the screaming persists over next week I have to go back to him.

He reckons Eunan is too young to have little nightmares and really could be a very bad spell of teething.. as he said some babies dont have hard time and others do. so that was that ladies :(:(

I also turned a shade of green when in the waiting room - got talking to a guy who had an 8 month old with him who had three teeth.... jealous.ie

My older two didn't get their first tooth until the week before their first birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Yve,

Boy Oh Boy could I have written your post....

One thing I found was that by cutting out citrus fruits and homemade stewed apple, it helped mine sleep better at night.
    Mine always woke roaring for no 'real' reason. DHs family all have funny tummys and reckon that they are just a bit sensitive for a while.
    As they got older it seemed to get better. When i was pregnany with second first used to be up all night, aged 2, I can remember pulling over as I was fallingg asleep while driving. Scary stuff.
    Might be worth giving bland solids for a while just in case? Its just a thouht might not be relevant to you at all

Best of luck and believe me you will get through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I thought it was around 9 months that they start having nightmares. My son often cries in his sleep. About the teething necklace; I wrap it around his ankle during the night so its tucked away in his babygro. It's not dangerous at all, it isnt a choking risk and he has never touched it while wearing it. Again I'd recommend you give it a go. At the very worst you'll waste €17 but if it works you'll be singing it's praises like me.

By the way, and just to console you :D , my son is 10 and a half months and has one tooth so you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

My 14 month was sleeping great until about two weeks ago as well. Then she started to wake up regularly at 15 minute intervals for about two hours a time. We tried rocking her, calpol, nurofen, extra bottle and nappy changes. Nothing really seemed to get her back to sleep. She continued to behave as normal during the day.
    Last night she only started squawking at 4.50am. This morning I felt a couple of teeth about to come through her gums. Hopefully things will get back to normal once these teeth come through properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I'm in the same boat.... 5 month old woke up screaming at 12.30 for the past 3 nights and i couldn't settle him no matter what I did or gave him. It took about an hour and a half before he stopped crying and fell asleep again (in our bed!!). His cheeks are so red today so i think it has to be related to the teeth. He's waking again at 6.30 but a bottle helps at this time. Hope it passes soon.;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

We all seem to in the same boat. My guy slept 7pm to 7am from 3 months until 5 months when he started teething. For the last 2 weeks he's been waking screaming around 10pm but once you pick him up he falls back asleep almost immediately. I didn't know they could have bad dreams this early but it might be what's causing it? I don't think he's actively teething at the moment as he has 7 through and the others don't seem to be near the gum yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Swordsp

I found this helpful with my daughter if she woke up during the night I use a pink music box with a light on it plays for about 10 minutes. Very good for helping her sleep when she wakes up with her teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Brilliant idea to put the amber necklace on their ankle, never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Glad in a way to see it may just be teething, but I dont blame you. A friend threatened to put her baby in the car and drive to Crumlin when the local hospital said her babies 5 day long bout of diarrhea was teething.

The only other thing I can think of is the acid like dribble that comes with teething. A friends baby doesnt have a sore bum but has pain when he pees and pooing when he is teething. So he bum is clear but its red around each hole. I never heard of it or have any idea how you'd prevent it but it might be something to ask the doctor/PHN about.

If he wont stop crying even when he in the bed with you, then you are doing the right thing, he'd never settle himself in the cot on his own if he was in that much distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My heart goes out to you, we had that with our little girl when she started teething too.
    She went from being able to put her in the cot, wave 'night night' and have her sleep through 10-12 hours to weeks of broken sleep and lots of tears.

Being the lighter sleeper, I was the one who ended up walking the floor with her (husband is a deep sleeper, by the time I'd have him awake I'd be wide awake myself!).
    Out of sheer exhaustion I started letting her sleep in our bed & I haven't looked back since!

She is a brilliant sleeper, will sleep from 12 hours a night again.
    On a Saturday/Sunday morning she'll wake between 9-10am, have her brekkie and go back to bed within an hour and sleep a further 2 or so hours.

The interesting thing I've noted is that other people have more of a problem about us having her co- sleep than we do.
    If I had a € for everyone that told me 'I was ruining her' and told me I had to get her into her own bed asap I'd be mortgage free by now :)
    It was a simple choice for me, a full nights sleep versus broken sleep every night & work in the morning.
    Now that I'm 5+ months pregnant and constantly craving sleep, its a no brainer for me :D

The one thing to take solace in is the fact that he was sleeping well for you up til recently, so hopefully it is something like teething that will pass once he cuts those teeth & he'll revert back to his old routine asap.

Chin up, it is hard when people keep telling you conflicting information, especially health specialists.

Yve, I know how you feel. I have an 8-month-old who has been waking screaming for the past week. Same as your lad - she sometimes doesn't settle in our bed either. (And I'm pregnant too!! And working full time :()

The only thing I can says that I believe there is a sleep regression around this age so we are hoping this won't last too long. I hope it passes for you soon too.

As regards letting him sleep in the bed - I don't think there's anything wrong with it but bear in mind, that if you want to move him out before baby no. 2 you'll need to leave yourselves a couple of weeks for the transition (in my experience - we got her into her cot around 7 months but it took 2-3 weeks).

• Advertisement

Yve, I know how you feel. I have an 8-month-old who has been waking screaming for the past week. Same as your lad - she sometimes doesn't settle in our bed either. (And I'm pregnant too!! And working full time :()

The only thing I can says that I believe there is a sleep regression around this age so we are hoping this won't last too long. I hope it passes for you soon too.

As regards letting him sleep in the bed - I don't think there's anything wrong with it but bear in mind, that if you want to move him out before baby no. 2 you'll need to leave yourselves a couple of weeks for the transition (in my experience - we got her into her cot around 7 months but it took 2-3 weeks).

I hope it passes for you soon too :( especially when you are working.

Eunan has been in his own room since around 7 months too :) he went in fine and hence why we just so dumbfounded as to what the hell is going on with him. he like a different little baba in the day time.

lets hope for both our sakes, before the next litluns arrive that this ends v-soon. I cant have two awake because of this madness :)

Advertisement