Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honesty!

• 08-12-2011 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

In with the Gardaí today & when I was there a young man handed in a wallet with what looked like cash still in it & another gentleman was picking up his wifes purse after that was handed in also! I know that people will always think the worst when a wallet/purse is lost but I
    thought how remarkable it was, the honesty shown by these people
    when we would generally assume the worst!

I'll light a candle for 'em when I'm in church!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Ive done something similar myself. When I was going to the Uk a few years back I was getting sterling basically what happened was I wanted 700 sterling but was costing just over 1000 the young girl in the PTSB actually gave me the 1000 in sterling when she should have giving me only 700. I actually went back to the bank and gave it back.

I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

great to hear stories like that, if I found a sum of money say €100 or less I would be a bit reserved about handing it in...in case the person I gave it to would take advantage of it especially in these hard times...temptation must be fierce for some of us.

If I found a wallet I would definitely try to contact the owner directly if I could or failing that hand it in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chap in work last year had just got a new iPhone, he left it on the roof of his car and it fell off as he was driving about a mile later. (it survived the fall), he couldn't find it when he went back to look.

As a last attempt to find it, he got it mentioned on WLR and to his amazement a women contacted him, she had found it on the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I found a wallet and gave it back to someone who claimed to be the owner, me being naive just gave it back and the real owner reported it. The guards harassed, threatened and abused me calling me a thief saying I knew the fella who I gave it too etc

So even tho I am an honest person I would not touch a wallet on the ground again lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

deisedave wrote: »
    I found a wallet and gave it back to someone who claimed to be the owner, me being naive just gave it back and the real owner reported it. The guards harassed, threatened and abused me calling me a thief saying I knew the fella who I gave it too etc

So even tho I am an honest person I would not touch a wallet on the ground again lol

how the guards find out who you gave it to!

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    how the guards find out who you gave it to!

Happened in a nightclub in town there was a wallet dropped at the bar I picked it up and the fella who was standing next to it I asked him did he own it, he said yes. Then cue me leaving the nightclub and being held back by the bouncers and the gardai saying I robbed this wallet with the so called fella. Eventually they let me go home after alot of harassment and threats, when I tried to get his gardai number he put on his jacket so I could not see and threatened if I ask him his number again he would smash my head in. When I rang the Gardai station the next day there was no record of the Guards ever talking to me at all when they should of taken note of it, they didnt because of how they acted.

The fella who I gave the wallet to was eventually arrested and the person who's wallet was stolen got it back minus the money and the fella went to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well with all the anger being directed towards students today because of last night, ye'll be glad to know they're not all bad. One young fella handed me in a purse he found on the ground (complete with money and cards) and I think there was a handbag too (with a phone in it) that a member of staff found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When I was 14 I lost my wallet on the bus into town. Library rang the next day to say it handed been handed in with my card in it.

They had taken the €2.45 change I had in it. Jammy bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I found a purse on the floor of Masons one night ( full of cash and iPhone4 in it) I opened it to look for an ID so to see if I could recognise yer wan.

Needless to say i found her in a ball of tears and gave her back the purse. At first the drunken and might I say deeply hysterical wan started shouting at me, accusing me of robbing it in the first place :mad::mad:.

Then she calmed down, thanked me and bought me a pint:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Once found a purse in a taxi in Gran Canaria.... it had 400euro in it and a Bank of Ireland bank card with a girls name on it....... Even though I was on a lads holiday and could have well done with the cash I could just imagine happening to me or my wife/sister/neice etc..

So I thought Il chance the Irish Tour operators numbers, so I rang Budget Travel (the biggest one at the time) and after a few calls here and there between Playa del ingles and Dublin, found out where the girl was staying... rang her and got her back her cash.... She was thrilled and was only a young girl.... what goes around comes around hey.... maybe if she wasnt Irish I would have kept it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

savic04 wrote: »
    Once found a purse in a taxi in Gran Canaria.... it had 400euro in it and a Bank of Ireland bank card with a girls name on it....... Even though I was on a lads holiday and could have well done with the cash I could just imagine happening to me or my wife/sister/neice etc..

So I thought Il chance the Irish Tour operators numbers, so I rang Budget Travel (the biggest one at the time) and after a few calls here and there between Playa del ingles and Dublin, found out where the girl was staying... rang her and got her back her cash.... She was thrilled and was only a young girl.... what goes around comes around hey.... maybe if she wasnt Irish I would have kept it :)

did you get your bit of her??

-Kenny- wrote: »
    I found a purse on the floor of Masons one night ( full of cash and iPhone4 in it) I opened it to look for an ID so to see if I could recognise yer wan.

Needless to say i found her in a ball of tears and gave her back the purse. At first the drunken and might I say deeply hysterical wan started shouting at me, accusing me of robbing it in the first place :mad::mad:.

Then she calmed down, thanked me and bought me a pint:p.

Masons was the club that my incident happened as well, the bouncers were pretty cool but the guards acted like scumbags. That was my only major experience with the gardai because I try and keep my nose clean, but the way they acted if they had not of been guards they would of been smacked so sorta ****ty that the police service sort of operated on a guilty until proven innocent stance.

But I know a few guards from Waterford that work up the country that are lovely so I think its just majorly the young male guards that act the fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

deisedave wrote: »
    Masons was the club that my incident happened as well, the bouncers were pretty cool but the guards acted like scumbags. That was my only major experience with the gardai because I try and keep my nose clean, but the way they acted if they had not of been guards they would of been smacked so sorta ****ty that the police service sort of operated on a guilty until proven innocent stance.

But I know a few guards from Waterford that work up the country that are lovely so I think its just majorly the young male guards that act the fool.

By the sounds of it that Garda may well be in prison now.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

did you get your bit of her??

nope, she was about 10years younger!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

savic04 wrote: »

I think you'd want to be some scumbag to take 400 euro of someone's holiday money, no matter where they were from. That's the difference between a good holiday and a bad holiday right there, so you're not only losing money, you're losing your holiday days as well.

It wouldn't be in me to take that money to be honest. I'd always leave it somewhere I thought they'd have a decent chance of claiming it. Having said that, I think it's foolish to keep that amount of cash of you, on holidays or not, but that's no reason to take the cash.

Advertisement