Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beached whale?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Heard a news report on the radio today that there was one foudn but never got which beach?

Took a spin out Mullaghmore but didn't see anything. Supposedly it's larger than the last one that got stranded.

Curious to find it. Anybody hear of this today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Second one is round the coast nearer Grange, a place called Staide. 60' long apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Cheers guys.

Magnum lady, is there a differant whale there that just washed up recently though? That website dates back to the 5th?

Red Sean, do you mean Streedagh?

Oh never mind what I just said. Got it http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2508

Thanks guys. Off I go hunting tomorrow then :)

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Oh never mind what I just said. Got it http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2508

Thanks guys. Off I go hunting tomorrow then :)
    When you turn at Grange for Streedagh continue straight til you come to a garage on the left and you turn off opposite that. (i think :)) Was down there fishing last summer and was amazed by the fossils in the rocks. But be very careful, as said rocks get very slippy when wet.

FoxyVixen, post a few pics if you can!

• Advertisement

Will do if I can find it. Hopefully won't be as windy as it was today. Mullaghmore was mental in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

And the first one, which was a lot smaller, is getting 'processed' on Saturday.
    The locals have organised the whole thing, proper like.
    Skeleton to be recovered.
    But the 2nd one, which is twice as big, is in a pretty treacherous location, so if anyone does go down for a butchers :D, please be very careful.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/331196116894074/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Pete,where about is that one?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I would love to go for a look but I'm scared witless of being swept into water by a freak gust of wind.... I might take a drive out after lunch and see if it's easily accessible. Will try and get some photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Anyone been to see the 2nd whale? Thinking of going tomorrow. Any directions on the best place to see it would be great :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I got to it today Hobbitfeet.

It's on the beach just up from Streedagh. Coming form Grange, keeo going until you come to Currids Garage and turn left towards the coastline (obviously). It's right there where you can park cars. Not looking down off a cliff or anything. Loads big stones, so do be careful if they're wet. A slip on them and you'll hurt you're ankle. Other than that it's safe enough.

Trying to get photos up, but I've lost my Flickr account info :( But if you search for "Maugherow Whale Group" on Facebook and join, there's plenty of photos on there. Think Pete M has the link above? Also the Sligo Champion were there today, so safe to say it'll be in the papers.

The first whale is being brought into Raghly Harbour tomorrow and getting sorted at 10am.

388648_2502766682506_1053128336_32770659_1573329930_n.jpg

386662_2502769042565_1053128336_32770661_597426118_n.jpg

380394_2502770682606_1053128336_32770663_2107269692_n.jpg

So sorry for the big size. Can't resize it off facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RifKsz2za_M&feature=youtu.be

Check out this time lapse of the whale being butchered.

Awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

excellent video, fair play to the person with the forethought to think of doing something like that, very impressed by the skill of the butchers, very clean removal of the soft tissues. went to see the staid abbey whale easy to get to despite reports otherwise unless the tide is high.

any one any ideas why two of these beasts have been washed up? doesn't seem to be much focus on what's a pretty unusual occurance for the area??

There was a bit on the Mooney Show on RTE radio 1 on Friday last but unfortunately missed most of it. Will have to try the Rte player. I agree there seems very little about a very rare occurrence in the national media.
    Anybody know whats to become of the second whale?

Advertisement