Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE Ukraine, THE Sudan, THE Cameroon etc..

• 08-12-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

With the talks of Euro 2012 at a high, I was wondering about a minor naming issue. Ireland were drawn in Poland while England were drawn to play their games in the Ukraine.

Why is it that it's called the Ukraine alot? Same goes for Sudan, Cameroon and Gambia. I've heard them all being referred to as the Sudan etc.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why these nations have the word 'the' attached to their name?

I can understand why people say the United Kingdom or the United States but am at a loss for the rest.

Genuine question btw. I posted in the geography section also but AH is alot busier!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sometimes people ask me why its called THE charter.
    Posting on After Hours to reach a larger audience is not allowed. If there is a more suitable forum for your thread, post it there. Threads to solicit votes for reality TV shows etc. are not allowed. Do not ask us to complete any surveys either. If you are unsure of the correct place to post you're probably not going to like the answers you might get here. You can query where the best place might be in the Newbies and FAQ forum. If you are unsure please private message any After Hours moderator for confirmation.
    There are a huge amount of forums on boards.ie. Often it can be difficult to locate the one you are looking for. If you need help please ask in newbies and FAQ.
    If you post a thread in After Hours that is more suited to another forum it will either be locked or moved to the correct forum. If you are unsure if a topic is suitable for After Hours please send a private message to any of the moderators.

For example:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement