Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence application (silencer)

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I am in the process of filling out my applicaton for my first rifel .204 with a silencer. With all the talk of late about the problems with a silencer is bothering me. Im as far as the please explain why this firearm is required. Do i also have to explain why there is a silencer on the gun and the reason i need it. I have ticked the box where it says silencer in the accessories. any advice welcome..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tick the box, and on the seperate sheet you must provide with any additional info they require simply give a brief account as to the reasons you need it.
    • To prevent startling livestock.
    • Reduce recoil.
    • Multiple shots while staying on target.
    • Not to disturb neighbours.
    • Etc.
    Submit it, and wait. It'll either be on the license or not. Also do a quick search here and you'll find a more detailed explanation from other users.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

every little helps thanks ezridax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

really depends on yur super, i no lads who cant get them no matter what reason they need it, bunny shooter for one his super will not give them to a single person aparently. i didnt even need a reason i just ticked the box and sent it in and the S was on my licence when it arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Here is the letter I sent with my application for a sound moderator.
    Dear Sir(Madam),

I am submitting my application to acquire a firearms certificate for a (rifle and calibre) rifle; I also wish to apply for permission to fit a sound moderator to it.

I will be using this rifle solely for the purpose of vermin shooting. Much of this will be carried out at in the night or early morning. I wish to have a sound moderator fitted to it to reduce the noise emitted when firing so as not to cause any disturbance in the night or early morning.

A Sound Moderator will also protect my hearing, I accept that I could also wear hearing protection, however when out hunting on farmland I want to be able to hear all around me in case I’m being called or to listen to instructions from someone who would be lamping for me at night time. I would also want to be able to hear someone if they were out walking on the land. While hearing protection would definitely be important on a firing range, I believe that when out in the countryside shooting you must be fully alert to any dangers around you, a sound moderator would allow me to do this without any impediment.

I am a member of XXXXXXXX Gun Club. I consider myself to be of good character and a responsible licensed firearms holder. I hope that you will look favourably on this application.

If you have any queries to this application please do not hesitate to call me on XXXXXXXXXX.

Your Sincerely

I also had to get a letter from a doctor recommending that I use a mod for hearing protection and I also had to get letters from 2 landowners saying that I was carrying out vermin control for them and that they didn't want gunshots disturbing their livestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Just received license for new 223 with moderator.I just ticked box, no separate letter to explain why. The cpo arrived out week later to examine security arrangements ans asked why I needed a moderator. Told him it would cause less distress to animals(horses and cattle) and neighbours in surrounding areas. He said thats a great idea. License arrives 2 weeks later with S stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

This is the letter I sent in when I recently applied for my mod for my .243

Obviously point one won't apply to you.

I think I got the body of the letter from a previous post on here and doctored it slightly:
    To whom it may concern,
    I, Xxxxxxx of the above address, wish to apply for permission to hold and use a sound suppressor on my rifle which bears the serial number xxxxxxx, and pertains to firearms certificate number xxxxx, due to the following reasons:

1. I suffer from damaged hearing in my left ear. This was discovered during a routine medical carried out in my job. In order to avoid further damage to my hearing a sound suppressor would be extremely beneficial to me. I have attached a note from my company doctor stating that I have noise induced hearing loss, along with a recent audiograph.

2. To prevent hearing damage to me and others. To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the “field” and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings, hearing protection is not feasible under these conditions.

3. Improved accuracy of bullet placement on animals, thereby providing a humane kill.

4. To reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife in the area if they are within hearing distance of shots being fired as I have shooting permission on lands where this possibly could happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin is needed and the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public.

5. I have permission to shoot on lands for the control of vermin and deer where livestock and horses are kept. The sound of a non sound suppressed firearm being fired may startle and frighten the livestock, which could result in loss and death of unborn animals.

I hope I have outlined the reasons why I require a sound suppressor for my rifle and hope you will look favourably on my application. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Yours Faithfully,

Xxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I thought from reading the garda commissioners guidelines using night time and the shooting of foxes was kind of frowned upon for a reason for a sound moderator (Silencers are designed to reduce the report of the firearm so as to conceal the position of the shooter, and also to reduce the felt recoil. Silencers have traditionally been used on rimfire rifles of .22 calibres when shooting rabbits. This allows the shooter to kill other animals who are not alarmed by the low report of the rifle. This justification may not apply in the case of the shooting of other less numerous and less sociable animals such as foxes)
    I have tried with my Local Super already and the above reasons all ready mentioned didnt satisfy him. Best of luck anyway my man.

many thanks for the replys, the letter is now on paper with bits of all the letters and will be going in tomorrow, i will keep you informed as to how things progress from here.

well met the gaurd thisevening and handed him the application, tick tock tick tock tick tock fingers crossed now.

whats his reasons for refusing?

• Advertisement

he took it he must take it to the super now he didnt refuse yet anyway

sorry lad that was ment to be at ace86

Well i have applied again bcos my super has moved on to another area and was talking to an Inspector i believe and i said i wanted a suppressor for my rifles and submitted my application to him and to my amazement and astoinment i had them in less then a week,came home last night from work and my new cards were before me and with the "S" on them i never thought a letter could look so pretty in black bold lettering:). I had tried the previous Super and he wasnt happy or satisfied with any of my reasons and that was that no matter what they were:mad:.

ace86 wrote: »

Well i have applied again bcos my super has moved on to another area and was talking to an Inspector i believe and i said i wanted a suppressor for my rifles and submitted my application to him and to my amazement and astoinment i had them in less then a week,came home last night from work and my new cards were before me and with the "S" on them i never thought a letter could look so pretty in black bold lettering:). I had tried the previous Super and he wasnt happy or satisfied with any of my reasons and that was that no matter what they were:mad:.
    That's great news for your area now lad fair play

That's great news for your area now lad fair play
    ya it is man at least if some fellow comes again looking for one he has a pretty good chance of geting them bcos some Supers just have it in there head and no is no and god nor man will not convience them.

grant notice in the door today at long last.. should it say it in the letter if the silencer will be also granted or will i only find that out when i get the licence?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 StanF

On the grant letter it stated that i have been granted the silencer along with the rifle, but when i got the license "S" wasnt there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

StanF wrote: »
    On the grant letter it stated that i have been granted the silencer along with the rifle, but when i got the license "S" wasnt there :confused:

Call your local station or whatever station the licence was issued from and look to speak to the FO, the licence was possibly just printed without the S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wait until the license comes and check to see if the "S" is on it.

I never got anything on my grant letters to say the mod was granted, but the licenses came with the "S" all the same. Pay for the license, check it then act accordingly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

license came in this morning and NO sigh of an 'S' on it. I wrote a nice letter thanks ''deeksofdoom'' which covered everything i intend in doing and got no reason for not getting it. Am i entitled to an explanation as to why the silencer was not granted?

• Advertisement

It may have been an Oversight best give the FO a call for clarification as it may be approved on pulse in which case they will just reissue with the S

met the FO yesterday all sorted a mixup on thier side...

got the new license today with the letter S on it will be collecting the new toy shortly.

Advertisement