Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sperm Sample - Anyone here given one before ?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

As part of ongoing tests for myself and the missus, I have to give a sperm sample in the hospital. Apparently they provide a private room for the man to go in and crack one off for want of a better phrase. Just wondering how easy is this to do - Can only imagine how not in the mood I will be on the day :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Always wondered if your partner could join you and, you know, lend you a hand?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi,

My husband has had to provide 3 samples. The first he was allowed to do at home and the subsequant 2 were provided in the Rotunda. I believe your partner can go in with you but i left it to himself. He said he wasnt prepared the first time at how clinical the whole set up was from the moment you go into the HARI unit. Inside the room you are asked to wash and dry your hands. I believe there is a chair and also some magazines to try and help you get in the mood. However i dont think he found it that much of a pleasant experience but it had to be done. Just think you need this to move on in the process and although it isnt nice sadly it has to be done.

Good luck with it

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My fella had to give one.

I did offer to go in with him but I think that would have distracted him and not in a good way! They were very reassuring and told him he could take as long as he liked. There were magazines and because he had to abstain beforehand for (I think) a couple of days, it was quite easy in the end.

Like yourself, he was wondering if he would get "stage fright" but in the end he was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I gave a sample after my eldest child was born.It was used for research , all was explained to me and no pressure if I didnt want to oblige.I was given a sample tub ,sent home and told drop it in later.Research was for cancer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I gave one at home
    Found it awkward to aim into the small specimen cup . Got the all clear that my lads could swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I had a sample taken at home before (was a few years ago) - no problem with that, the missus could help out etc.

This time though it has to be done in the rotunda as the sample needs to be processed asap etc. Partner won't be with me so I am heading into this alone. Part of me says there is no embarrassment etc - it's all clinical and a medical procedure - but that's exactly why I am concerned about the mood and not being able to do the business. :)

I'm sure I will be grand - just a very bizarre experience to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

Maybe get her to rile you up before you go in if at all possible? Take some pics on your phone and get her to send you some kinky texts, read them, look at the pics and that might make it seem a little less clinical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My hubby found the clinical setting too cold/ medical (he doesn't like hospitals anyways). We were able to provide the samples at home, I then brought them to the clinic, stuffed in my bra so the sample stays warm (always wondered what I'd say if I got stopped by the gards!). If you live less than an hours drive from the clinic, ask about this possibility. A friend of mine's husband rented a hotel room nearby. An expensive option, but worth it if it gets the job done. What they actually ended up doing is using the hotel room in the afternoon for the sample and then overnight as a mini get-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

silja wrote: »
    My hubby found the clinical setting too cold/ medical (he doesn't like hospitals anyways). We were able to provide the samples at home, I then brought them to the clinic, stuffed in my bra so the sample stays warm (always wondered what I'd say if I got stopped by the gards!). If you live less than an hours drive from the clinic, ask about this possibility. A friend of mine's husband rented a hotel room nearby. An expensive option, but worth it if it gets the job done. What they actually ended up doing is using the hotel room in the afternoon for the sample and then overnight as a mini get-away.

done it that way myself , funny thing is , the results where negative and that I would only have a 0.1% chance of producing a child ,

18months later , wife give birth to a wee boy ...................my urologist still cannot believe ,
    and child looks just like me , so it wasn't a "who-done-it"

moral of the story , don't give up

Advertisement