Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking. worth it for gaming?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey lads, i presume its same gang here as in @ biulding@ part ;)

so i got z68, 2500k, corsair A70 and gtx 570

It is a gaming pc, but will i get much gains in gaming if i overclock this machine now?

i know that most of games are now gpu dependant and not cpu, so will i even notice improvements?

is this guide good lads? as my mobo is MSI too...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Hi,

I had the same quesion a week ago and bought a similar setup to you (i5 2500k, gtx 560ti, 8gb DDR3 and Z68.

I overclocked from standard 3.3ghz to 4.ghz with no problems and have noticed a significant improvement in fps. Altohugh I use it mainly for fsx which is heavily dependent on cpu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

cherrytaz wrote: »
    I overclocked from standard 3.3ghz to 4.ghz with no problems

Were you able to do that with the stock heatsink?

No im using an akasa x4 cooler but apparently the stock cooler is fine for getting to 4.3ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Opinicus wrote: »
    Were you able to do that with the stock heatsink?

you can go more then that with stock.

i dont see a point in it though. i dont even see the point to go from 3.3Ghz to 4.2Ghz that i did. modern games rape GPU and the games who Rape CPU have more then enough in 2500k 3.3ghz...

Well I found a huge difference from going from 3.3 to 4.3, but again this is only for fsx which is cpu hungry. The 2500k is a great chip, both in terms of value and performance

• Advertisement
Advertisement