Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO help please!

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im an Australian / English guy that did GCSE's in the UK in 1997.
    My results were pretty ****e and not worth mentioning. But as I am 30 years old now (i took them 15 years ago) and i am doing a PLC foundation science course at the moment will I still need to put my GCSE results down?

The reason i am asking is that its quite expensive to get your certificate if you have lost it and i dont even remember my results anyway.

If i dont put down my terrible results will that get in the way of my application to uni? I dont have the 280 euro spare for the results.

will my life experience, work & traveling and the fact that I went back to get a Fetac 5 be enough to get me into uni? cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

CAO tends to look for evidence of any qualifications you claim so if you put down the GCSE's they can come back and look for evidence. If you cant provide it then that qualification will most likely be discarded.
    What you could do is contact the relevant college admissions dept, they may suggest you speak to the head of department or directors of whatever course(s) you are applying for and they should be able to tell you if your GCSE results are necessary or not.

As regards your life experience etc, its really up to the colleges to decide if you have what it takes. It really depends on the courses you are applying for, how relevant to these your life and work experience are and the grades you get on your PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

My results were pretty terrible I dont think they would ask for proof! lol.

Sure, i'll try and remember and see what happens anyways,
    cheers paperclip!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd get the results. Even if you did badly, it shows that you completed secondary level. Plus, they will be able to compare your improvement in your studies with the results from your current course?

Also, the more completed your application form the better. Not having your secondary qualifications may have them wondering why? Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP you should include everything.

Universities take into account life experience, current ambitions, and what you have done in order to get to the position of going back to college all into account.

I proudly sent off my crap leaving cert results with my application and they were never mentioned (but I did give copy of the cert) but that's not what they're interested in to be honest, exams you did 15 years ago when you were 15 or 16 (in the case of GCSE's?) is largely irrelivant, but showing that you did some secondary education may be important to show that you can do third level, even if your results were terrible.

Anyway, they take you at face value and who you are and what your abilities and goals are now, not 15 years ago.

[Jackass] wrote: »

Universities take into account life experience, current ambitions, and what you have done in order to get to the position of going back to college all into account.

I proudly sent off my crap leaving cert results with my application and they were never mentioned (but I did give copy of the cert) but that's not what they're interested in to be honest, exams you did 15 years ago when you were 15 or 16 (in the case of GCSE's?) is largely irrelivant, but showing that you did some secondary education may be important to show that you can do third level, even if your results were terrible.

Anyway, they take you at face value and who you are and what your abilities and goals are now, not 15 years ago.

Thanks for the reply mate. Ive filled in my CAO and have to do all the extra stuff now for TCD, UCD & DCU. Paperwork out my ears. Lets hope they take pity!

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »

Did you manage to get into uni on life experience alone or were you doing a PLC or something? Also, when did you get your offers in etc? Did you get your first choice?

Advertisement