Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Biotechnology

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey All,

I am a 23 year old guy with microbiology degree from NUIG and currently work in the biopharm industry in the UK.
    I have though about going back to do an MSc in Biotechnology in UCD and don't know whether its the right thing to do or not?

I'd have about 2 years experience going back to do the masters.

Would love to hear your thoughts, :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

While biotech isn't my field surely there would be courses of a higher standard in the UK than back in Ireland? If it's a Masters degree you're going to be paying a similar price fees wise regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eduwonder

Well having seen all Postgrad funding has been totally wiped out overnight by our great country, I will be better off doing my postgrad in the UK as they are of a better standard and they are far cheaper than at home,

Thanks for your post, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Maintenance grant != funding

Hasn't the maintenance grant been taken away, along with tuition fees since the budget on the 5th & 6th.

Yes, but maintenance grants are a very different animal from funding, which is as far as I can tell largely unaffected.

• Advertisement

Oh Ok,

I thought that both had been taken away and that if you wanted one you had to be virtually on the bread line if that....

No, taking away funding would be absolutely insane, as it would cripple the Irish research Industry.

Right so iif I was to go back next year, would I be eligible to get my fees paid and no maintenance grant, is that what you are saying?

I guess I'm not being clear still - Apologies.

There are 2 ways to get money for doing postgrad.

The first is Maintenance Grants - these are means assessed and designed to help epople who otherwise couldn't afford to attend college.

Then there is Funding - this is granted based on the importance of the work, and will generally cover fees plus a stipend.

The means assessed, "I can't afford college" grant is gone for postgrads. If you have earnings below €22,703 per annum, you're eligible to have your fees paid, c'est tout.

However, funding is not gone, but it specific to research programs, not taught ones. So if you were to apply for a place in a funded MSc or PhD, or apply to IRCSET and be granted funding, you would have fees paid, plus an annual stipend of ~16k.

As far as I can see, research funding hasn't been affected by cuts in the 2012 budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 abhayveer02

Any plz help, got an offer of MSc Biotechnology from nuig, is it good university to study that.. also my ucd offer is awaiting i might be get rejected, dont know but every one here in india says that ucd is better than nuig in all wat and especially in biotechnology is nuig well known across the world?? Plz reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement