Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Christmas Trees in North Dublin

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has seen any good value on Real Christmas Trees in North Dublin - in recent years they seem to have got very expensive €50/€60, so just wondering if there is any value out there - looking for one apx 5-6ft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Amberjack wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has seen any good value on Real Christmas Trees in North Dublin - in recent years they seem to have got very expensive €50/€60, so just wondering if there is any value out there - looking for one apx 5-6ft

B&q are doing them cheap I believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

thehamo wrote: »
    B&q are doing them cheap I believe

BnQ are charging 50 euro for 6-7 foot Noble Firs at the moment.And alot of them are well haggered and bashed around.

Beaumont Fruit and Veg shop have a Christmass tree farmer selling 6-8 foot trees for 40-45 euro at the moment.

We bought an 8 footer Noble Fir from him for 40 euro.

We also got a 12 foot Noble Fir Christmass Tree from a chap who runs a nother fruit and veg shop, around the corner beside the Boston Bakery cake shop in Beaumont for 65 euro.

Yep,65 euro for a lovely12 foot Noble Fir.:D

Both locations are in Dublin 9,close to Beaumont Hospital.

P.S-Real Christmass trees soak up about 1 litre of sugar water each day,so water them and spray them daily and they will keep great colour and shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Just to let you know, I also posted on another site and Wades Christmas Tree farm in Rolestown was reccommended - between Swords and Ashbourne. We went to Wades today and it was fab, such a fantastic range of trees in all shapes and sizes, all of them just €35. They're very nice people and there was a lovely Christmas atmosphere. You pick and they chop, so they are freshly cut trees.
    Only thing I would say is defo wear wellies as it is very mucky - dogs are also welcome too as a few people had brought theirs. It was quite busy, but a fab place. Will be back next year!

Just to let you know, I also posted on another site and Wades Christmas Tree farm in Rolestown was reccommended - between Swords and Ashbourne. We went to Wades today and it was fab, such a fantastic range of trees in all shapes and sizes, all of them just €35. They're very nice people and there was a lovely Christmas atmosphere. You pick and they chop, so they are freshly cut trees.
    Only thing I would say is defo wear wellies as it is very mucky - dogs are also welcome too as a few people had brought theirs. It was quite busy, but a fab place. Will be back next year!

Well we were up in Wades last weekend walking around for around an hour,and the trees were horrible.Very poor crop of trees and allmost all of them were deformed badly.

Alot of them looked like they were in a bomb zone,they were that haggered and sorry looking.

No wonder they were only charging 35 euro to pick and chop down a tree.:(:eek:

Have to disagree with you Paddy, I saw some lovely ones, if you go routing at the back of the forest, some good ones.
    I'm happy with what I got and it was a lovely atmosphere up there, loads of families. There were literally hundreds if not thousands of tress there.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree with you Paddy, I saw some lovely ones, if you go routing at the back of the forest, some good ones.
    I'm happy with what I got and it was a lovely atmosphere up there, loads of families. There were literally hundreds if not thousands of tress there.

We spent an hour looking around and in through to the back of each grid section of trees.

The man and lady running the place told us where to go for looking at the trees.We walked around for well over an hour,walking in through all the various trees that were growing.

We were not the only people who were very dissapointed with the selection of trees.

Quite a few other people also commented on how haggered and deformed alot of the trees were.Quite a few dead trees too.

Im glad you got a tree,but sorry,Wades wasnt for us,it was a waste of our time,a complete let down with regards quality of trees ( I took a few pics to show others),and I certainly wouldnt go back again.

Regards.

Thanks Paddy, well, I suppose all that counts is that we both have our real trees in the houses with the lovely pine aroma, nothing beats a real tree (unless your are allergic to them, which some people are)
    Anyway, Christmas tree shopping done an dusted for another year, so we can kick back and enjoy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I'd have to side with AmberJack I'm afraid. We headed along to Wades on Saturday morning.

Not only were they very pleasant to deal with but I thought there was a great selection of trees. We had to spend a good bit of time looking for the tree we wanted but sure is that not the whole point of a "Christmas Tree Farm"???

We are very happy with what we selected - definitely better than what we managed to pick up elsewhere last year and was €10/€15 cheaper

Ps. Smell from the tree is savage!

And these trees are propper Noble Fir then??

Because alot of the trees up there were either Norwegian Spruce or else some type of Yew type tree.And allmost all of them up there (2 weekends ago) were not grown propperly (very bad crop) or else badly haggered and bashed about.

Please post a pic of you;re trees then,as Im dying to see how wonderfull they are compared to the haggered yokes that we saw up there 2 weekends ago.

I will gladly post pics of mine,so lets see yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

photo.jpg

Some of the photos we saw v happy with our tree. Any the pick your own tree experiance was a great family outing!

• Advertisement

cram1971 wrote: »
    photo.jpg

Some of the photos we saw v happy with our tree. Any the pick your own tree experiance was a great family outing!

Is that Wades??

Because where the man and woman up in Wades directed us and others to,had NOTHING like that.

We specificly asked about an 8 foot tree and also a 12 foot Noble Fir tree too.

The plots that we were directed to and shown had haggered Norwegian Spruce and Yew type trees,and they were in bits.:eek::(

Big let down indeed.

Maybe Wades opened up a new plot since our trip up there.

Because we were not the only people complaining about the poor quality of trees up thee 2 weeks ago,so maybe they realised things were bad,and opened up a new plot.

We ended up getting a lovely 8 foot Noble Fir and also a 12 foot Noble Fir down the road from our house.

8 footer was 40 euro,12 footer was 65 euro,and a fiver for it to be delievered.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Took a right at the shed down about 200 meters into the left about 30 meters had to wait a while for some one to our tree down. There were quite a few stragglers around but that is only to be expected in a crop situation. It looks like they operate a crop rotation and harvasting so what looks like a straggler this year could be a specimen in 4-5 years time.

It was clear from looking at the stumps that some of the stumps are a few years old.

Advertisement