Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does OnLive Work In Ireland?

• 08-12-2011 9:26pm

im wondering if i buy the box and controller would i be able to use it on my tv?

Comments

Can anybody help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Yeah it works fine, i dont know if the new console is out yet with the wireless controllers but if it is i would reccomend it if you dont have a great pc or consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm sure it does, but you might need to buy through the UK store.

Your best bet is to try a few demos with the PC client first

How Would 7mb/s of imagine wimax internet fair out with it?

Doesn't really matter about your speed once your past 2-3mb after that it's about ping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I've got 7mb imagine (not wimax) myself and when I tried the demo of red faction on onlive it was pretty bad. It looked like a was watching the game through a dirty glass the picture was so blurry.

Try it for yourself, it's free, but I'd say you could need over 10mb to get a bearable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056259983

The video quality isn't what you'd be used to as a pc gamer, but it's really good especially when you realise your first game is only 10p or whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Where can I buy the console? Tried it on the pc last night after seeing this thread & it worked very well, so I'm thinking it'll make a nice gift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

EnterNow wrote: »
    Where can I buy the console? Tried it on the pc last night after seeing this thread & it worked very well, so I'm thinking it'll make a nice gift

http://www.onlive.co.uk/game-system
    Might or might not work, I'd fire an email to support first.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    http://www.onlive.co.uk/game-system
    Might or might not work, I'd fire an email to support first.

Just had it tried before reading your post

"Sorry, but you must be in your home region to modify your billing information. However, you can still access the OnLive service while away. For more information, please visit our Customer Support portal."

Email it is :)

• Advertisement

EGriff wrote: »
    I've got 7mb imagine (not wimax) myself and when I tried the demo of red faction on onlive it was pretty bad. It looked like a was watching the game through a dirty glass the picture was so blurry.

Try it for yourself, it's free, but I'd say you could need over 10mb to get a bearable experience.

Like I said after 2-3Mb it doesn't matter about speed it's about ping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Speed does matter. You're streaming 720p video, after all. The manufacturers recommend at least 5Mb

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Speed does matter. You're streaming 720p video, after all. The manufacturers recommend at least 5Mb

3mb is the minimum according to there store page and there minimum requirements page.

But yeah if you want constant top quality have at least 5Mb but 3Mb will also work.I know because I used to use onlive with 3mb, I now have 100mb and while the picture is slightly better I still have the same gaming experience.

It's all about ping once you hit that target speed. Having a high speed but high ping aswell will make for a choppy experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

the tablet app is out now . proper console games on a tablet with the wireless controller.

25 games have touch controls put in like la noire .

you can pick up the console for your tv for around 70 sterling.

they will be launching in Ireland soon too.

you can pick up the console for your tv for around 70 sterling

Is ebay the only option for buying the console?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is ebay the only option for buying the console?

Im not sure afaik they will only sell the consoles in regions where it works ie USA or UK. Ebay is an option but they are going to be rolling out into other territories quite soon. I'm waiting for the official word from them on an Irish date, they don't have a date but did say the Tablet App was their main focus then the roll out will happen pretty quickly once that's out, and it launched this week so i would expect it to come to Ireland pretty soon.

downloaded the app last night and they give you Lego Batman for free ! played trial if dirt3 and LA Noire just to test it works it does but you need a controller for that.

all the original fallouts are there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was just playing the demo of Arkham City there, have no pad or mouse so it wouldnt really work well on just a laptop but its a cool concept, runs quite well too but you'd need decent bandwidth for it, kept dipping into low res for me.

At the moment it is very mush a second option to have along side your PC/ Console gaming experience but that is due to the terrible Irish Broadband rather than the service itself.

I love the game trails, rather than downloading a demo from the PSN or Live that could be nearly 2gb and takes a few hours to download you can just click the get trail button and play the first 30mins of the game for free instantly.

I downloaded the Tablet app last night, had to do a manual install as the Market region locks it to the UK but it works really well. Could play LA Noire on a 180 euro android tablet but i will need the control pad to actually control it but it runs perfectly. Played Dirt 3 with the on screen controls and it worked pretty well. The quality isnt great but i was on a vodafone terrible 7mb line (thats normally around 3-4mb) and over wi-fi and on a fairly cheap tablet. All things considered i thought it was really impressive. Much better than the usual touch crap that you get on tablets.

It will also run on smart phones!

Plus for installing the Free App you get Lego Batman for Free!!

there is more info, a review and some extra tech bits on the site now if anyone wants to read them http://www.bone-idle.ie/index.php/onlive-launches-mobile-app-for-tabletssmartphone-plus-free-lego-batman-game/

I can see this really killing off digital downloads before they even got started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Are there any official plans to launch this here yet?

Anybody sign up and buy a game (or the play bundle) using UK details have any feedback?

I'm tempted to go for the play bundle so my old laptop can play some decent games while the big screen is in use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Bump to this, any further updates? Just learning about this now and certainly looks cool
    Worried about how many new releases are actually put on the service though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Bump to this, any further updates? Just learning about this now and certainly looks cool
    Worried about how many new releases are actually put on the service though
    Well a couple of months the company were taken over for a small sum, giving the impression its not doing so well. The head of the company also had to step down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Krieg wrote: »
    Well a couple of months the company were taken over for a small sum, giving the impression its not doing so well. The head of the company also had to step down

Yeah pretty sure its basically dead, they let go most of the employees as well

It's is still going and still adding games, still I would rent games or use the playpack. little risk if them going out if business after the take over but still you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy a PC and get steam, half their stuff is the same price to rent for 5 days as it is to buy on steam. TotalBiscuit did a piece on it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Dont have room in apartment for PC and its terrible for 2 player games
    Prefer a console set up if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah pretty sure its basically dead, they let go most of the employees as well

Outside of the gaming portion of their business, they had some really dodgy practices around VDI licensing which blew up recently. I would not rate their survival chances very high.

Advertisement