Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feline conjutivitus

• 08-12-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Anybody know anything about bathing cats eyes with mix of baking soda and water.my cat has chronic conjutivitus and wondered if could use this when he gets flare up(along with the drops I got from vets).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

First any home remedy involving soda needs to be bicarbonate of soda, not baking soda - baking soda can be confused with baking powder which has an acidic agent like cream of tartar in it. Whatever name it is, make sure it's plain bicarb.

But for conjunctivitis in cats, I'd add L-Lysine to their food, and bathe the eyes in a dilute warm saline solution. Bicarb is fine for wiping something, but I'd steer clear of it as an in-eye bathing solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Sorry I meant to say bicarbonate soda am adding l lysine in every time he gets flare up didn't know if was good idea for him have it all the time.he can go from anywhere from 2weeks to 2months between flare up.he has calicivirus so will always suffer I just want make it as comfortable as I can when he gets a bout of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Chamomile teas bag is great as a wipe and eases the eye.
    Also Pulsatilla is good for eye issues. 1 tab each day for 2 weeks and then pull back to week on week off.
    Lysine is fine, For the winter months mine get a sprinkle on their food everyday.

Got some camimile can't spell lol today n never seen him so relaxed with it on his eye n eye drops geneticin which I find the best they keep trying diff ones bt it keeps coming back last time I used geneticin it didn't come back for 5months

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

My cat is suffering from conjunctivitis at the moment. It looks very painful! I cant even get the drops in for him have to take him to the vets to get it done. And he sits nice and still for them to do it! How do you normally manage the drops?

• Advertisement

It definately a two person job ,one to hold him while the othe routs drops in quicker u do it the beta .... He's kinda used to it though as it is chronic

It definately a two person job ,one to hold him while the othe routs drops in quicker u do it the beta .... He's kinda used to it though as it is chronic

Thanks I think were getting the hang of it now. The poor cat flinches as soon as he sees the dropper :) I have so far been headbutted by him as he was trying to get away and got a few scratches. . But his eye seems to be getting better so all worth it! Hopefully its not something that he gets often.

What drops are u using I tried everything best seems be geneticin poor fella going round like Popeyes at the moment .mad house with him I have another cat and 3rescue kittens separated in another room.

He is on fucithalmic twice a day. His eye is much better. But its dilated all the time now. The vet saw him yesterday and didnt say it was bad so im hoping that is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

rabbit.84 with regard to how to administer the drops, I used to wrap my little one in a blanket, thus restricting her arms and legs and keeping her from hurting herself (and me :)).

Hopefully it clears up soon for you.

• Advertisement

Also Pulsatilla is good for eye issues. 1 tab each day for 2 weeks and then pull back to week on week off.
    Lysine is fine, For the winter months mine get a sprinkle on their food everyday.

Eyes flared up again do you know where I can get the pulsatilla from?

I picked it up in a local chemist. It's made by waleda, white box blue writing, you will recognise the boxing when you see it. It comes in 2 strengths 3c and 6c. I got the 6c.

I have 2 white cats, one suffers terrible with her eyes and it made a huge difference to her.

I picked it up in a local chemist. It's made by waleda, white box blue writing, you will recognise the boxing when you see it. It comes in 2 strengths 3c and 6c. I got the 6c.

Is this ok to give in conjunction with the L lysine ?my heart broken with him his eyes flared up 3times in last few weeks I know it chronic with him bt just want make it as comfortable as I can. Between him and my other cat who only back from vets with vomiting etc over Xmas been stressful few weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Plus 1 on the Pulsatilla. I find it absolutely awesome. I use if for eye problems, runny noses, upper respiratory tract infections and coughs and sneezes. I also give some crushed L lysine during any bouts of flu or other problems to help boost the immune system.

I have yet to try the chamomile teabags but they're on my list for any eye problems that arise in the future.
    I'm a great believer in conventional medicine but I'm also a firm believer in supplementing it with natural remedies wherever possible.

Is this ok to give in conjunction with the L lysine ?my heart broken with him his eyes flared up 3times in last few weeks I know it chronic with him bt just want make it as comfortable as I can. Between him and my other cat who only back from vets with vomiting etc over Xmas been stressful few weeks :(

No problem at all, both are natural. both should help keep it under control along with whatever vet treatment is needed. But it should help lessen the vet treatment. I have learned to determine what can be treated at home and althugh my girls eyes flair up regluarly it hasnt needed vet treatment.

Can usually just collect some drops from vets without having take him in Just feel so sorry for him squinting and crying and generally feeling all sad for himself Will try get that pulsatilla thanks hopefully it mite help him a little only wish there was a way to permanently stop it :(

Someone has mentioned this to me now anyone know anything about it?

Advertisement