Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Unsafe?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 10:17pm

I moved to Newbridge 22 years ago and have never felt it was unsafe, yet my opinion seems to be the exception and not the rule. Recently I got talking to a girl at a party (party wasn't anywhere near Kildare) and I found out she lived in Newbridge. So I asked where did she drink, did she play any sports around the area, where did she live? She answered that she never leaves her house after dark and if she has to go anywhere during the day she drives as Newbridge is 'so dangerous'. I was shocked! Then recently I know someone who got night time work in Newbridge but left it after one day because 'Newbridge is really dangerous at night.'

What's going on? Does Newbridge really have this reputation? The girl I mentioned above also said she goes out in Kildare Town because it's much safer. I would have thought the opposite! In all my time here I've never had anything bad happen, and I walk around the town at night all the time and don't even witness anything bad. I know earlier on this year a few scummy things happened, but not really anything different to other towns, so I don't really understand where this opinion is coming from. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

There does seem to be a massive amount of burglaries and assaults compared to other Kildare towns . Open the Leinster leader any week and you will see this

I suppose in that respect it is only comparable to Naas, as the population of Newbridge is twice that of most other towns in the county. How is Naas for burglaries and assaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

I lived in Newbridge for a few years in the late 90s and never had any trouble, I saw a couple of fights on the street but that was about it. I always knew it as a town with a bit of a reputation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

I have lived in Newbridge nearly 2 years and I have not seen any danger or anything bad happening. You will always see the odd fight here and there but its the same in every town in Ireland.

Newbridge does have a bit of a reputation I have heard this before but have seen nothing to warrant it, well not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

the town is definitly changing and getting rougher alright to what extent im not sure as i dont go out in newbridge anymore but its very easy to gwt in trouble in it at anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I have lived in Newbridge all my life and due to my job i can be on the street very late and have yet to see any real trouble.On the odd occasion there may have been a bit of verbals outside some of the chippers late at night. I would say the town is no better or worse than any town of similar size in Ireland.The only trouble i have ever heard of is usually caused by members of the same extended families and are usually in one of the older estates. It suprises me that anyone would be afraid to socialize in Newbridge.

Advertisement