Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Visa

Options
  • 08-12-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am wondering has anyone with a disability got a working visa for Australia. I have heard, but cant confirm if its true, that it is near impossible to be given one.

I have been working near 10 years and not once has my disabilty stopped me from working for any length of period.

Would love to hear some stories about applicants!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I don't know how they can legally discriminate against you on grounds of disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

this is something had read about a long time ago on a disability forum, a family with parents who had gotten themselves jobs over there-had a disabled child,possibly CP? and they were refused entry based on the childs needs even though their mum/dad was going to be contributing to austrailias funds.

their issue with disabled people coming to their country is the cost of care/benefits from their public funds not because of the disability.
    if a disabled person is fully independant,can work and has gotten a job secured over there-all of which can be proven to,they will be accepted.

am not sure its disablist,austrailia are a very nationalistic country and they want to look after their own and their country first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Australia seem to be one of the leading countries on accessibility of buildings and services etc, so I'd be surprised if they discriminate in this way on visas. Having said that, I've no direct experience on the matter.

It might be worth contacting some of the disability organisations down under and get their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I know Canada are strict on illnesses, example being my cousin had a kidney transplant nearly 7 years ago and he was was refused a visa because of this.

I myself have a mild form of CP, and like the thousands of others at the moment I cannot find employment and Australia looks like the way to go.

I will certainly look into it,

thanks guys.

Advertisement