Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Dubstep.

Options
  • 08-12-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey I'm new to creating dubstep music and was wondering what is the best way, best software and any other tips. preferably free software.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Most newbie dubstep people tend to use Ableton, NI Massive, some other VSTs like Predator or anything that has a lot of bass patches (because they're not arsed making their own) and then just some samples for drums and efx.

It's very easy to get something going and there's a ton of videos on youtube from making beats to wobble basses.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

Any free software?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Reaper is a free DAW (like Ableton). http://kunz.corrupt.ch/ are decent effects. That should be enough to get started at least.

kvraudio.com has a list of all decent plugins (free and commerical). The forums as well are great for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 acidpenguin

Start with reaper than if you don't give up after a couple of weeks and like using it move on to Ableton or fl tudio. Personally I prefer Ableton but its a matter of opinion. Synth-wise try and get your hands on sylenth1, its probably one of the best vst's out there, very easy to use and great sounds. Lastly just go to youtube and look up millions of tutorials, its the only way to get good.

p.s. that dubstep wobble is usually a bass with the cutoff linked to an LFO, look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Cheaper than Sylenth and more aimed at Dubstep:-

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-reaktor/razor/?page=2140

It's insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 acidpenguin

Didn't know about razor :), got some fat sounds there. Whats the story with powered by reaktor, is it not a vst?

Massive is good as well, but more difficult to use than sylenth1 I find

Didn't know about razor :), got some fat sounds there. Whats the story with powered by reaktor, is it not a vst?

Massive is good as well, but more difficult to use than sylenth1 I find

Works like a vst - just install the free reaktor player and Razor appears in that when you open it.

I've been messing most the afternoon and it's good for Electro also - This think actually sounds better than the Access Virus TI - stable, bright and my ears craving it. Going back to it right now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

If you insist on making wobbly dubstep (imo theres way too much of it around already) theres a reaktor instrument called lazerbass that is pretty much designed souly for that kinda dubstep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The Itchy synth pack

It's good and it's free.

http://www.dubstepforum.com/free-synths-itchy-synths-vst-t90924.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

This, I think is the best way to make Dubstep.

Peniclling stuff in on Ableton, gives me a splitting headache - and since there's too much of a time lag Ableton for me, I can't play in rhythms. Pencilling in stuff - just doesn't work for me.

I don't have an MPC.......I don't really want one either. I would say it takes up a lot your life learning how to use one.

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    This, I think is the best way to make Dubstep.

Peniclling stuff in on Ableton, gives me a splitting headache - and since there's too much of a time lag Ableton for me, I can't play in rhythms. Pencilling in stuff - just doesn't work for me.

I don't have an MPC.......I don't really want one either. I would say it takes up a lot your life learning how to use one.

Nice vid - not sure if this helps but there's an recent Ableton update to enable very low latency input monitoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Neurojazz wrote: »

Some amazing filthy bass sounds in that. Love it

Advertisement