Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC Players Championship Thread

• 09-12-2011 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

The players championship got under way this evening in Doncaster. Didn't manage to see all the games but Barneveld beat Ronnie Baxter 6-3 in a highly entertaining game with a 104+ average. Barney was poor on doubles and his average would actually have been much higher except for that!

All games live on ITV4 and Setanta Ireland. Will post all results after the night's session has finished.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Full round up of results and match reports here,link; www.pdc.tv/page/NewsdeskDetail/0,,10180~2541899,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

only saw the last few games

was there even 100 people at it?

steve brown waving goodbye to nickolson after he beat him:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah the crowd was terrible, hardly anyone at it. Hopefully it will pick for the next three days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Saw all the games.

Wayne jones was magnificent giving John part the brush,5-0.

Barney played well, steve Brown was very solid in beating Nicholson,who lived up to his bad boy image in having a go at the crowd when someone shouted out when he was on a finish,he stepped away from the board for a few minutes before hitting his mark.

Wes newton found himself 2 legs down before eventually dispatching Ritchie Burnett who missed fat numbers when on a finish 2 legs in a row! Newton was solid though when he found his rhythm and will take beating.

Peter wright looked very,very good when beating denis ovens.

James wade did enough against Andy smith

the crowd at the end was sparse enough

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bulldog0906

i was there last night there was around 300 odd there the roads were bad for traveling last night i nearly lost control of the car going home ... but thought barney threw well could do with finishing off games better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Looking at it here now the crowd looks bad - and it's Taylor v Jenkins next - strange, figure they might give Doncaster a miss next year - poor turnout for a 4 day tournament

Looking at it here now the crowd looks bad - and it's Taylor v Jenkins next - strange, figure they might give Doncaster a miss next year - poor turnout for a 4 day tournament
    its a full house dude:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, Anderson didnt give Van Gerwen a chance. Van Gerwen had a 97 average and only had one shot at a double :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The crowd is terrible, the venue is at least half empty. There is no way this tournament will be on Doncaster again next year and ITV4 might even think twice about showing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

They should have left it until after Christmas to play it. Bad time to have it on with the Worlds starting next week and Christmas so close, people just don’t have to money anymore.
    Pain in my arse watching Barney play these days, If he wants to give up just do it and spare us the big money head every time he plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bulldog0906

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The crowd is terrible, the venue is at least half empty. There is no way this tournament will be on Doncaster again next year and ITV4 might even think twice about showing it again.

i think this tournament was online last year.... there is very bad weather over here i yorkshire at the moment i wish i was home in ireland ha ha

what were the results from today?

Newton 8 Wright 6,Walsh 8 Jones 3,Wade 8 Brown 6,Rand 8 Barney 6.

Good crowd in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

its a full house dude:confused:

No it wasn't - stage left looked empty - calling 3-400 in a hall like that 'full' is a joke - you'd get more at a Taylor exhibition than alot of these nights

Good oul Big Head throwing his rattle out of his pram again. King was the better player get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Big head taylor gone off like a baby on a tantrum, even refused to do an interview, so much for sportsmanship

What a good night of darts and the defeat of Taylor has really opened up this tournament. Taylor again showed bad sportsmanship in his defeat to King. The man hates losing but he really shows himself up in a bad light carrying on like this.

Gary Anderson once again failed to hit top form and was punished by Kevin Painter. The 8 players remaining will all fancy their chances of winning this now.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    What a good night of darts and the defeat of Taylor has really opened up this tournament. Taylor again showed bad sportsmanship in his defeat to King. The man hates losing but he really shows himself up in a bad light carrying on like this.

Gary Anderson once again failed to hit top form and was punished by Kevin Painter. The 8 players remaining will all fancy their chances of winning this now.

Good post... Taylor loves to win, but he should respect others when they beat him, he couldnt get off that stage quick enough tonight.

Very open now, would be hard to pick the winner. Gonna be a great day of darts tomorrow, cant wait for it.

Not every player that has lost has done a post match interview. Taylor was pissed off and rightly so with the punters shouting out,Gary Mason hit the nail on the head when he said phil was pissed off,as it does effect the guys livelihood,same goes for the idiot who shouted in Pipes match.

I really do not get all the hatred for Taylor,i just dont get it. the man is an out an out winner and hates to lose,difficult thing to face the cameras after a defeat like that.

Anyway,painter played really well to beat Gary and it was a good nights darts.:)

• Advertisement

shocksy wrote: »
    Good post... Taylor loves to win, but he should respect others when they beat him, he couldnt get off that stage quick enough tonight.
    but he shook Kings hand and said well done:confused: what else would you have liked him to do after getting knocked out?

but he shook Kings hand and said well done:confused: what else would you have liked him to do after getting knocked out?

No need to make excuses for the guy, p*ssed off me a*se, hes doing it over 20 years and should be well used to all that sh*t that comes with darts, fair enough it put Justin Pipe off this evening, he's still adjusting to all that, but taylor was playing bad from the start before any shouting started so that was only an excuse for him at the end, he was outplayed by King end of.

All the players today that lost spoke backstage, you can be gracious in defeat, but Taylor never is, and IMO that loses him alot of respect from some people, maybe not you, but many people find it as a bad loser, which everyone knows he is anyway and thats his business which is fair enough

And i dont hate Taylor, just like to see new winners and different finals is all, i have nothing against the guy whatsoever apart from his losing attitude.

Good to see an improvement in the attendance tonight after very poor attendances for the past 3 sessions. Surely with tonight's results there will be a good attendance tomorrow for what potentially could see a new player lifting a PDC major for the 1st time?

Quarter final games; Newton v Walsh,Wade v Rand,Chisnall v Webster and King v Painter. Wade the only player to previously win a PDC major. Personally I would like to see Webster win it out but he was extremely lucky to beat Pipe who I felt sorry for.

Good to see an improvement in the attendance tonight after very poor attendances for the past 3 sessions. Surely with tonight's results there will be a good attendance tomorrow for what potentially could see a new player lifting a PDC major for the 1st time?

Quarter final games; Newton v Walsh,Wade v Rand,Chisnall v Webster and King v Painter. Wade the only player to previously win a PDC major. Personally I would like to see Webster win it out but he was extremely lucky to beat Pipe who I felt sorry for.

Some great games in store, would really be hard to pick the winner, Wade is the favourite but he isnt at his best either so he could be another surprise to leave early. I would love Chisnall to win it myself, i really like him as a dart player, he has a tough game against webster though, and having lost to him 4 times isnt a great omen, but you never know, it could be his time.... Mervyn King could surprise a few and possibly go to the final.

Some great games in store, would really be hard to pick the winner, Wade is the favourite but he isnt at his best either so he could be another surprise to leave early. I would love Chisnall to win it myself, i really like him as a dart player, he has a tough game against webster though, and having lost to him 4 times isnt a great omen, but you never know, it could be his time.... Mervyn King could surprise a few and possibly go to the final.
    Chisnall is a player who I reckon is a great prospect for the future and it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if Chisnall wins that game. Webster needs to up his average and be more consistent on doubles if he wants to win the £60,000 winners cheque. I wouldn't rule out any player,even Scott Rand could win this out,I was impressed with him today against Barney.

Scott Rand played a great game of darts, Barney just couldnt break him, solid consistency the whole game by Rand.

Did anyone hear the interview afterwards? Barney was saying he doesnt even know if he will play in the world championships? I found that odd, i know he's not on the best of form, but the first round of this tournament he was pretty good and looking like getting back on track, He's changed darts, and Unicorn have replicated his darts that he used when he beat Taylor. I hope he doesnt leave the game just yet, i think he still has a bit to offer just like Taylor has. Would be great to see him in another PDC Final in the near future.

Chisnall is a player who I reckon is a great prospect for the future and it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if Chisnall wins that game. Webster needs to up his average and be more consistent on doubles if he wants to win the £60,000 winners cheque. I wouldn't rule out any player,even Scott Rand could win this out,I was impressed with him today against Barney.
    Missed the afternoon session,but Rand did impress me beating craven in rd1.

the thing about Chizzy is,you never know how much practice he puts in! yes he's a top,top player,but i think it was in last years BDO, the commentator said he had been away lying on some beech for a week just before the world championships:eek: unless Chizzy steps away from that amateurish approach to big tournaments,he will always be one of the nearly men, i aggree he has the talent,but the PDC is full of lads with Talent who are capable of beating each other on any given day.

I look at all these games and players from a gambling point of view,so would i back or lay Chizzy? well tommo i aint having a bet,but for the worlds,id lay him:o

Oh.............. and i reckon M king could win this tournament

Scott Rand played a great game of darts, Barney just couldnt break him, solid consistency the whole game by Rand.

Did anyone hear the interview afterwards? Barney was saying he doesnt even know if he will play in the world championships? I found that odd, i know he's not on the best of form, but the first round of this tournament he was pretty good and looking like getting back on track, He's changed darts, and Unicorn have replicated his darts that he used when he beat Taylor. I hope he doesnt leave the game just yet, i think he still has a bit to offer just like Taylor has. Would be great to see him in another PDC Final in the near future.
    I saw the game but didn't see the interview afterwards. Barney shouldn't get himself down. Granted things haven't gone well for him the past few years but his 1st round game showed what he's capable of still. Probably just a knee jerk reaction after been defeated.

On another note I like the format of this tournament and really think it should be a permanent fixture on the PDC calendar. However I think they need to change the timing of this,the month of February would be Ideal for this tournament IMO and would bring bigger attendances I reckon.

• Advertisement

I saw the game but didn't see the interview afterwards. Barney shouldn't get himself down. Granted things haven't gone well for him the past few years but his 1st round game showed what he's capable of still. Probably just a knee jerk reaction after been defeated.

On another note I like the format of this tournament and really think it should be a permanent fixture on the PDC calendar. However I think they need to change the timing of this,the month of February would be Ideal for this tournament IMO and would bring bigger attendances I reckon.
    the premier league starts in feb:confused:

the premier league starts in feb:confused:
    Yes but why not play it the 1st weekend in February and then let them off at the premier league.Or look last weekend of January is another option. The crowds have been poor but with xmas and the World Champs so close by People are watching their pockets.

Yes but why not play it the 1st weekend in February and then let them off at the premier league.Or look last weekend of January is another option. The crowds have been poor but with xmas and the World Champs so close by People are watching their pockets.
    well as you probably know,Television is probably dictating when this tournament can take place, i feel this tournament will take off given time,Doncaster can be a permanent venue,but like has been said,the weather in parts of yorkshire,where they adore darts,has been dodgy. im nearly 100% sure ive seen darts on itv4 before,was it this tournament?i cant remember,its perfect for the players warming up for next thursday.....imho:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

So Sky aren't showing the World Championships this year?

well as you probably know,Television is probably dictating when this tournament can take place, i feel this tournament will take off given time,Doncaster can be a permanent venue,but like has been said,the weather in parts of yorkshire,where they adore darts,has been dodgy. im nearly 100% sure ive seen darts on itv4 before,was it this tournament?i cant remember,its perfect for the players warming up for next thursday.....imho:o
    Yes ITV4 have shown this tournament before as well as showing the Grand Slam also. I wouldn't disagree with you about it been a perfect warm up for the World Champs. As I post Taylor is probably hammering the board in readiness for next week after his defeat tonight:D

Seriously I'd expect a good crowd in Doncaster tomorrow. And hopefully this tournament will catch on in time and If December proves to be the best month to hold it so it'll be.

ThePower11 wrote: »
    So Sky aren't showing the World Championships this year?
    Sky are the only station showing the World Championship starting Thursday December 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

I think its an absolute joke that this is on the week before the PDC world championship. Only an attempt to interfere with the growing popularity of the zuiderduin masters in this side of the world.

The PDC have about 5/6 tournaments a year to themselves on Tv and they dont have much to fear from the BDO on that score.

Its annoying for darts fans like myself who had to switch between the 2 tournaments and el classico this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭leoch

good to see taylor getting beat very bad loser its a pity king didnt go up and lift of the dart board and ask taylor to sign it the way he always does when he does he thinks he owns the whole show then again he probaly does and poor oul gary anderson did play sh1t but i would say he couldnt see the board going by his interview afterwards he could hardly speak too much beer me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Very interesting post match interview from Wade there. Certainly wasnt holding back

Great win for Scott Rand but sadly all the talk is about the behaviour of some of the crowd. The crowd is small at this venue and you'd think there shouldn't be issues with crowd behaviour but some players have had problems unfortunately.

Wade also revealed in his interview that an official complaint has been made to the PDC about last night's crowd behaviour but I didn't catch was it Taylor or Pipe that lodged the complaint. Still there will be a new 1st time PDC Major winner tonight and that can only be good news for up and coming darts players on the PDC circuit.

worst pdc tv tournament iv saw in a long time:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great win for Scott Rand but sadly all the talk is about the behaviour of some of the crowd. The crowd is small at this venue and you'd think there shouldn't be issues with crowd behaviour but some players have had problems unfortunately.

Wade also revealed in his interview that an official complaint has been made to the PDC about last night's crowd behaviour but I didn't catch was it Taylor or Pipe that lodged the complaint. Still there will be a new 1st time PDC Major winner tonight and that can only be good news for up and coming darts players on the PDC circuit.

Ya he said it was Taylor made the complaint.

Would the smaller crowd be adding to the root cause of the complaints? A lot easier for a single voice to make itself heard from the crowd due to the overall lower crowd size

A bit of double standards from Taylor. In the past he has told other to players to just put up with the crowds as they are the reason they playing for big prize funds. Yet on two occasions I can remember him getting stick he has made official complaints.
    He cant have it both ways.

buster180 wrote: »
    A bit of double standards from Taylor. In the past he has told other to players to just put up with the crowds as they are the reason they playing for big prize funds. Yet on two occasions I can remember him getting stick he has made official complaints.
    He cant have it both ways.
    Well said Buster180. I think it's complete hypocrisy out of Taylor to be making official complaints about crowd behaviour when for years he was yapping to sky sports that the crowds are great and players should just put up with them roaring and shouting! How the wheel turns!

Saying that there is no place in darts for booing and putting off players going for a double and it needs to be sorted yet this has been a problem for years but it has been more or less ignored by the PDC due mainly no doubt to the fact that there was big attendances hence more profit! I wonder now with Taylor lodging an official complaint will they do something? It's Justin Pipe who I feel was the real victim last night ,certainly not Taylor!

A good win for Painter over King 9-7,great night of darts ahead I reckon.

Semi final line up; Rand v Painter and Webster v Newton. I'll go for a Webster v Painter final.

Semi Final results; Webster 10 Newton 7,Painter 10 Rand 9. Final starting shortly.

Great Final and well done Painter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Painter was quality. It must have been very hard to keep the adrenaline up from the semi final. Im a big fan of Webster, i hope he gets his PDC major soon.

Great evening of Darts, well done to Kevin Painter, he will relish that, next up the world championships, cant wait

What a brilliant final. Both players deserve great praise for producing such a good game. Congrats to Kevin Painter,a great character who deserves a PDC major after narrowly missing out on the World title back in 2004.

Overall I thought it was a great 4 days of darts and great to see a few different players gracing the semis stage rather than the usual suspects. With the World Championship only a few days away questions will be raised about some of the favourites for Ally Pally after their early departures from this tournament. A fascinating month of darts lies ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted for Painter. Good to see him finally win a major.

It'll be interesting to see how Scott Rand gets on in the World Championships. He's playing Andy Smith in the 1st round!

• Advertisement
Advertisement