Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian restaurant in Cork

Options
  • 09-12-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Any ideas where to go for a decent Indian in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Lal Quila in Douglas is very good. Just ignore the non-indian stuff on the menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

The one in Bishopstown is good. Its near the Bishopstown bar think its Spice of India. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Lal Quila in Douglas is very good. Just ignore the non-indian stuff on the menu!

+1 to that - good food & good service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The menu is unreal. Must be about 10 pages. Huge choice.
    Andip wrote: »
    +1 to that - good food & good service

In my experience, very slow & forgetful waiters. They were friendly though & the food was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Bombay Palace on Cook Street is amazing!!! I highly recommend it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The Raj in Kerrypike is excellent imo - bit out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

In my experience, very slow & forgetful waiters. They were friendly though & the food was nice.[/QUOTE]

I must just be lucky ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

rebelwoman wrote: »
    The one in Bishopstown is good. Its near the Bishopstown bar think its Spice of India. Enjoy.
    Was there a few years back.The service was shockingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

SomeFool wrote: »

This is the only Indian in Cork that does Indian cuisine justice.

Spice of India was awful when i was last there, and Lal Quila not much better (same owners in fact I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭finfinfin

havellis in douglas is unreal.best Indian in cork by a mile.proper Indian restaurant too,its at the back of Morris house in on the south douglas road.across from dinos.its flipping savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Raj for me too but it is a bit out and pricey imo
    But nom nom !! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

the best I've had is Bombay Palace but i've never tried Lal Quila and I've heard it's good.

Had a takeaway from Spice of India once and it was really nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

kcb wrote: »

Spice of India was awful when i was last there, and Lal Quila not much better (same owners in fact I think)
    The Raj may be up there with respect to food but the service has been shocking almost every time I've been there. The service in the Delhi Palace wasn't great but it got much worse when they moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I haven't been there in ages but the Raj was excellent for food, service was OK too but it was during a quiet lunch time so things may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

The Eastern Tandoori opposite the Opera House is gorgeous,but kinda pricey-they were doing a fantastic deal there- 50 euros for a 3 course meal for 2 PLUS a bottle of wine,but I don't know if they still have that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

They used to be the best in Cork IMO but it went downhill when they expanded the menu, presumably because they cook everything in advance and let it sit for longer, the taste was incredible but is now just as bland as all the other Indian restaurants in Douglas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would go with Eastern Tandoori. Love that place. This one in Carrigtwohill has a Livingsocial deal on right now. I went the last time they had such a deal and it was really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Honestly, I've tried them all, Bombay Palace is the best, the rest are poor at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Dermighty wrote: »
    Honestly, I've tried them all, Bombay Palace is the best, the rest are poor at best.

+1, yet to find a really good curry house in Cork. Bombay Palace is the closest I've come. Lal Quila is nice but all the milder stuff tastes exactly the same, it's just different colours....and the peshwari naan is stuffed with actual sugar which is a bit gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Have to say Indian Palace is the only one I have ever found to be constantly good. its pricey but I've tried loads of others around cork and they all taste cheap or look radioactive to me. I have english friends that hated all indians in cork till we tried it about 5/6 years ago and they love the place.

I've heard the Raj is great but haven't tried it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

The Eastern Tandoori opposite the Opera House is gorgeous,but kinda pricey-they were doing a fantastic deal there- 50 euros for a 3 course meal for 2 PLUS a bottle of wine,but I don't know if they still have that offer.

If I had a dog, I woudn't feed it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Have to say Indian Palace is the only one I have ever found to be constantly good. its pricey but I've tried loads of others around cork and they all taste cheap or look radioactive to me. I have english friends that hated all indians in cork till we tried it about 5/6 years ago and they love the place.

I've heard the Raj is great but haven't tried it yet.

Appreciate the tip. Since I moved to Cork, I've missed many things, near the top of the list being good curries. Found the Gaylord/Raj? pretty good and the place on the river in Fermoy is worth a detour. Same family as run the iconic Shere Khan in Rusholme, Manchester aka Little India ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Max001 wrote: »
    Appreciate the tip. Since I moved to Cork, I've missed many things, near the top of the list being good curries. Found the Gaylord/Raj? pretty good and the place on the river in Fermoy is worth a detour. Same family as run the iconic Shere Khan in Rusholme, Manchester aka Little India ;)

The Raj Gaylord in Kerry Pike near Blarney is owned and operated by the brother of the owner/operator of Bombay Palace.

I have eaten in both restaurants upwards of 20 times and I can honestly say that the Raj has food which costs €5 more per main course (excluding rice) and does not have the same quality.

I will say that their Murg Mahkni (butter chicken) is exceptional and is definitely better than Bombay Palace.

Bombay Palace is one of my favourite restaurants in Cork, I found them to be consistent with good prices and friendly staff.

Rogan Josh, Murg Tikka and Saag Gosht are my favourite things there and their keema naan (naan stuffed with minced lamb) is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Max001 wrote: »
    If I had a dog, I woudn't feed it here.

What, specifically, don't you like about their food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

kcb wrote: »

Totally agree with you.i love my curry n take it seriously .try spice in carragline .propper indian food .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Dermighty wrote: »
    Have u tried spice in carragline? The bombay is good i agree but not as good as when sukhpreets mum in law cooked there ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Are you joking? I've been there. Pricey, slow service and the food was AWFUL. They could never serve that crap in England. He'd have his windows put through...

I've yet to come across a decent Indian here which is why I wait until I go home to London to get a decent ruby.

braintoxic wrote: »
    Totally agree with you.i love my curry n take it seriously .try spice in carragline .propper indian food .

Nope - don't reckon that either....

FTGFOP wrote: »
    What, specifically, don't you like about their food?

Where would you like me to begin? No choice of poppadoms - spicy only.

Stale chutneys. Looked as though they'd been sitting there for days.

Curries are VILE. Looks as though they cook one pot of curry, and just chuck in more curry powder if a hotter curry is required.

Food tasted very chemical. No blending of spices here!

If you are unfortunate enough to order a Dhansak. Guess what they did? Got a tin of fruit cocktail, tipped that in and dared to tell me it was a Dhansak! :eek:

There were three other tables the night we went in. That should have been our first clue. The service was VERY slow.

When we got the bill, we nearly had heart failure. For four meals (which were for the most part sent back uneaten as they were so bad), three soft drinks and one cider, it was E150!!!!

At least they didn't have the brass neck to add service on to that exorbitant bill.

Rant over.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

dory wrote: »
    I would go with Eastern Tandoori. Love that place. This one in Carrigtwohill has a Livingsocial deal on right now. I went the last time they had such a deal and it was really nice.

Availed of that offer with some friends, we booked it for the evening of December 22nd. When we got there it was closed!!! Change of management apparently. Annoying, as they didn't mention this when they were taking the booking. We ended up going to an Indian in Midleton instead (also nice, named Sangam, good menu including paneer dishes! :) ).

Back to Cork City, Bombay Palace as previously mentioned is excellent. They do a lot of Goan dishes.

Advertisement