Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD SU ban the Daily. Should UCC SU do the same?

• 09-12-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

Personally I think this was an excellent initiative:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056475460

The crux of the story is that the Daily Mail published an article last Saturday saying that the late Caolan Mulrooney's (RIP) body was found in the River Lee that Saturday.

Not only was this a bare faced lie but it was incredibly insensitive and potentialy damaging to the search operation.

Freedom of speech is grand but I think a ban of the paper would be appropriate till they print an apology

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I saw that! I think it's a good move by TCD and shows the support shown towards this case. Also shows them that people won't take crap that they write.

I think the SU and the university should look to banning it on campus. Let them loose money. The family, the friends, the students and the public deserve to read correct, proper and informed information. Not a bunch of lies and gossip written by an overpaid journalist who's thinks they are gods gift to society.

An apology would be good, but I can't see it happening unless something big happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

If a UCC student regularly reads the Daily Mail then I question their being in a place of higher learning in the first place. :P

Personally, I don't mind either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I don't think any of the student shops sell the daily mail anyway...open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I don't think any of the student shops sell the daily mail anyway...open to correction.

Thats a fair point. I've never noticed if they do but I've never been looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Of course they should, for a period of time at least. It was an insult to the chap, a display of poor standard and it will show some protest against sensationalist thrash being sold in the college. But by that mark, you'll probably have to get rid of The Star too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

,,,yes along with all other Irish newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

Orizio wrote: »
    ,,,yes along with all other Irish newspapers.

Ah now...don't be silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I think I saw the Daliy Mail in the library one day so therfore they do buy it. That poor lad has a brother that is still in UCC aswell so it should be a mark of respect to the family to ban that paper. The more you think about that piece the worse it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Opics wrote: »
    Ah now...don't be silly

I'm not, Irish journalism is uniformly atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

And who gives a SU the right to exercise such censorship? Aside from this incident which was an awful error, I say "error" because I'm not sure whether they "lied" as you say but for an elected body to dictate/censor what people read? I'd rather have my own free will to choose not to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

2011_IDM_Higher_Education_Launch.jpg

Irish Daily Mail sponsoring the Fitzgibbon Cup and more this year http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

7Sins wrote: »
    And who gives a SU the right to exercise such censorship? Aside from this incident which was an awful error, I say "error" because I'm not sure whether they "lied" as you say but for an elected body to dictate/censor what people read? I'd rather have my own free will to choose not to buy it.
    i think you're going a bit far. its not exactly censorship, they just refuse to support the paper for what they did. much like in liverpool a lot of shops still don't sell the Sun because they reported(without a source) after Hillsborough that fellow fans were robbing the victims and abusing officers helping them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#The_Sun_newspaper

there are tens of shops around the college(most across the road) where you can buy it easily. also if there was any real anger by students about this, you bet your ass they would allow discussions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think you're going a bit far. its not exactly censorship, they just refuse to support the paper for what they did. much like in liverpool a lot of shops still don't sell the Sun because they reported(without a source) after Hillsborough that fellow fans were robbing the victims and abusing officers helping them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#The_Sun_newspaper

there are tens of shops around the college(most across the road) where you can buy it easily. also if there was any real anger by students about this, you bet your ass they would allow discussions

Thanks for the link, I found that interesting. It's probably a good thing alright, the standards in journalism are slipping and seeing a direct consequence to their actions might keep them on their toes in fututre.

I didn't realise either that a few 100 students of the SU in Trinity had voted in favour of this. At least it wasn't just a handful calling the shots.

Advertisement