Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoke City (away)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He complained about the ref for about 3 minutes.
    Then said he'd never come on tv and complaing about the ref

Go on Harry :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1815: Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp: "I'm not sure how we've lost that. A couple of decisions from the referee were amazing. I've just seen the replays. How the referee gives Adebayor offside, when he is two yards onside, I don't know. How he doesn't see the handballs I don't know. I wouldn't want to comment on what I thought of the referee's performance. I never do it, having been a manager for 20-odd years. But today was... disappointing."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

On the replay, Adebayor was 2yds onside for the goal. The problem was the linseman looked at the player when he received the ball, not when the ball was passed to him.

Disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Didnt play great first half but ultimately Robbed by bad officials. You get those days, important to just pick it up again.

Hope referees assessors look at the game in detail and he is suitably dealt with, 1 big decision wrong is bad and of course they are human and some days we will get them but 4 big decisions wrong in one game is too much and hard too stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We can't have kabouls yellow/red rescinded can we?
    Crappy day.
    Let's bounce back quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm so angry after that match. Except for the first 20 - 25 minutes, and after Kaboul got sent off, we bossed them. The ref and his assistants contrived to make sure we wouldn't score again. How Kaboul got 2 yellow's is beyond me.

It's very important to bounce back next weekend now. At least it's at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

I Blame HARRY. VDV should not have started. Defoe is on fire and should have kept his place. Secondily Lennon should have been left on and VDV taken off. He is does not work hard enough nor has he got pace. Finally did Harry do any training ground work putting a man in front and behing crouch? Thats all Stoke too. Ref was also brutal and put final nail in our coffin today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Coolaboy wrote: »
    I Blame HARRY. VDV should not have started. Defoe is on fire and should have kept his place. Secondily Lennon should have been left on and VDV taken off. He is does not work hard enough nor has he got pace. Finally did Harry do any training ground work putting a man in front and behing crouch? Thats all Stoke too. Ref was also brutal and put final nail in our coffin today.

somebody should have told harry you dont change a winning team , defoe was on fire and i partly guessed if vdv played today he'd sit on the halfway line and offer ade no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Coolaboy wrote: »

In fairness the subs were made tactically, Harry went for 3-5-2 using Walker and Bale as wing backs thus sacrifising Lennon. Your first point about VDV starting is a valid one and is going to cause a problem as VDV could become trouble if not starting week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Lennon was sacrificed because when defending Stoke fell right back and there was no way to get behind them.

• Advertisement

Lennon was sacrificed because when defending Stoke fell right back and there was no way to get behind them.

But in the second half we got in behind them far more often, Walker and Bale on multiple occasions. Harry also wanted to introduce more height so brought on Bassong and adjusted the whole team to accomadate him. I believe it was a correct decision as nobody can argue that we deserved a lot more from that second half and totally dominated Stoke.

Actually i guess we did not get in behind as such more getting to the endline with pace more than ball in behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

bassong actually played a fine game in fairness to him.

i think sandro should have come on though after 25 mins and sat in front of the back 4

parker is class but got the run around today .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Was Kaboul's 1st yellow not for back chat to the ref = making the glases shape with his hands around the eyes at the referee and mouthing of etc.
    At least thats what they showed in the post-match analysis on Sky sports.

If so, then he deserved it. You can't disrespect a referee like that and expect to get away with it. He's a professional player paid tens of thousands a week to act professionally - No wonder Foy couldnt wait get the 2nd yellow card out.

edit ( the 2nd card was a loada bollix btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

The referee was a disgrace
    Would have won the game if it was't for that pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I noticed how Stoke shortened the pitch and brought in the sidelines a couple of yards aswel,this certainly didn't help our wingers today.I think Parker was targeted by Stoke and got a really hard time of it,great second half effort from Spurs,did enough to earn a draw if it wasn't for the incompetent referee.Looking forward to my trip to the Lane next week now and hope we can bounce back from this loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    parker is class but got the run around today .

He got the run around ? Are you sure :confused:

Still like a demon after yesterday. As has been said, getting one decision wrong is bad but to get so many wrong against one team is a joke.

I thought the change in formation changed the game so fair play to harry for that, the only thing I dis-agreed on was the decision to play vdv in tead of lennon. Id have played lennon in behind as his pace would have killed them on the break, easy to say in hindsight I suppose.

2 home games now against sunderland and chelsea, 6 points and I'll be happy.

I'm still fuming this morning. As mentioned previously, Foy couldn't wait for an opportunity to send Kaboul off and the slightest foul was going to bring on another yellow. I can understand a ref getting a big decision or two wrong during the course of a game, they're human after all, but he (and the linesman) got 4 or 5 big, big decisions wrong in the 2nd half alone, all of them favouring Stoke.

I liked Harry's comments and he's spot on. If Foy doesn't see that he made a complete balls of that match then he shouldn't be refereeing at this level.

The next match is now huge. We need a massive performance against Sunderland at home this weekend. We played a great 2nd half of football yesterday and as mickman mentioned I thought Bassong was excellent when he came on - I think he offers more in attack from set pieces over King too. Win this weekend and go on another winning streak and we'll soon forget about this defeat until Stoke come to the Lane and we hammer them! COYS!

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He got the run around ? Are you sure :confused:

got the run around is a bit strong i suppose but he was bullied off the ball for all the 1st half and we know he is too small to help out for corners. just think sandro would have offered more against the giant stoke team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

VDV is a luxury player and not a Premiership type of player. He has no pace to get up or down in midfield and does not track back. Not a great asset in my mind. Harry should have started Defoe. Finally that ref and the amount of time stoke were gave to dry the ball and break up the passage of play was outrougous. As for the elbow on the stoke goal line....

he was bullied off the ball for all the 1st half

So were 9 others mate

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

First half was very poor. Both goals came from second balls in our box. We knew what would be dealt up, and didn't deal it. I would have started Sandro alongside Parker, who had a poor first half.
    Kaboul's first yellow was a joke. He made a glasses gesture to the ref or linesman, bot sure which. That's a disgraceful suggestion, it's a guide dog and a white stick they both need. Foy is a numpty, but it was great to see how we fought him, the scoreboard, the wonderful home crowd, the "linesman" and a good Stoke team to a near standstill. Harry need to use this to get four good angry performances now.
    As angry as I am, we were steeped away to Fulham, and yesterday was a valuable lesson, play the wrong team, and start in second gear, and you probably will chuck points away. Let it be learned.
    The next step for Harry and the club is to be prepared to leave a fit VDV or whoever out if the situation dictates it.Finally, I am convinced we need an option to Ade. He warmed up yesterday eventually, but in the first half was as bad as could be. Spend please.

I think Ade's problem wasn't so much that he started poorly, it was that VDV drops so bloody deep! How many times was VDV collecting passes half way inside our own half, leaving Ade up front on his own? I like VDV - he's a very intelligent playmaker and goalscorer, though he needs to be told to stay in the oppositions half, otherwise we're playing 4 - 5 - 1, and against Stoke you need 2 strikers.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    So were 9 others mate

yes mate but sandro could have helped for both goals due to his height and presence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

VDV was pretty anonymous, and tends to be on away games. Can’t recall too many amazing away performances from him, he’s a totally different player at The Lane.

Everyone on here is sore with the loss and rightly so, hurts more because of the appalling decisions. It happens so you have to get on with it, I fancy us giving Sunderland a focking good thumping next Sunday.

yes mate but sandro could have helped for both goals due to his height and presence

Easy to say now Mick.
    How could he have made a difference for the goals. Gallas got out-musceled, crouch handles, and knocks it back inside where etherington reacted quickest, and what could he have done to prevent the 2nd goal ?

Im not saying he wouldn't have made us a bit more solid defensively, but that then takes away an attacking option in bale modric lennon or vdv. Yes you will say vdv now as the game is history and you know how he played, but if he changed the team/formation and then we went 2 down, we'd all be saying why did he change a winning team, so there is no pleasing us.

Listen I'm not harrys biggest fan, but I can see why he started the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm surprised how sore everyone is today.
    No surprised in a bad way, we are entitled to be. I guess it shows how much the result meant to all us fans.

We could take 1 or even 2 bad decisions on the chin but to have 4 (possibly 5) in one game is pretty hard to swallow.
    Having said that we have had the rub of the green in a few games this season...

What did you think of Modric's foul that lead to the penalty. I think it was soft and maybe Foy knew and as a result he tried to balence things out by not allowing the handball on the line/Ade goal etc.

I agree to be honest. There was definitely contact, but it he went down well after the tackle and I don't think there was enough in the contact to trip him up. Still, I think most players would have done the same thing anyway and it shouldn't have been Foy who tried to make amends to Stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Stoke played great in the first half and we were sluggish and paid for it.

To say that Parker got the run around is very harsh, he was no worse than most in the first half and got stuck in in the second. There was a case for Sandro for this match but its ludicrous to suggest that he shoulda replaced Parker, our best player this season.

Kaboul was spot on about the ref needing glasses, but at the same time he deserved to be booked for disrespect and dissent. The second tackle was a soft one but Walters was in a good position and was brought down. Should never have made the tackle.

Apart from that the ref was shocking. 2 blatant corners, 3 blatant handballs and at least 2 penalties we didn't get. Incredible stuff. We deserved at least a draw.

VdV is a great finisher, but he doesn't offer much else, and yesterday completely passed him by. He didn't seem too bothered either. Smiled a lot. We are a team of speed and he slows us down too much. I would sell him.

Advertisement