Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting first watch query

• 09-12-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster on this side.

My girlfriend is getting me a new watch for Christmas. Anyhow i get to pick it out so im wondering what are the best brands for around the 500E mark. Im interested in getting something stylish. Also where would be the best watch shops with choice in Dublin.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What style of watch do you like? Post some pics of watches you like (even if they're over budget) and that will help narrow it down. I've a Tissot PRC 200 that I love, and would be well within budget. They've some really nice other watches, like the V8.

If you like diving watches, Seiko do a good few and they're a solid brand. Steinhart are very nice too, but I think are only available online, so you'd be pushing it to get it in time for Christmas.

Some very nice Citizen watches too - might be worth checking them out.

The brand you like will then influence what shops to recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

As Eoin says the brand to go for will depend a lot on what style of watch you like. Tissot, Seiko and Citizen all make good watches for your budget and are all widely available around Dub.

At €500 though you will have a much larger choice and get much better value shopping online. Have a look at www.thewatchhut.co.uk who carry a large range of brands, are much cheaper than you'll be able to buy here, and may be able to deliver before Xmas if you order in the next few days. Some brands on there that I like (besides the ones mentioned above) are Hamilton, Jorg Gray (as worn by Barack Obama!), Mondaine (watches in the style of the Swiss railways clock), Technomarine (a bit loud and colourfull for some). If you like Military style watches have a look at Luminox (or even MTM Special Ops), and if you like F1 have a look at the Casio Edifice range (partners of Red Bull Racing, as worn by Vettel and Webber).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks for the guidance. What I want is something like the Citizen eco drive range - skyhawk.
    I will try Dublin tomorrow and see what suits me as i am 6Ft2 and skinny, so a big watch might not look the best.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I bought my first serious watch a few years back.
    I got a Raymond Weil.
    it looked god and was reliable. they have very good customer service.
    bought another just last year for work and I am very happy with it.
    they have a nice range, but are mainly quartz.
    some amazingly good deals on line for them too.
    good luck with the hunt , its half the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 WastedSpace

Seen this range promoted by Padraig Harrington: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Watches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CALCUL

Thanks for the guidance. What I want is something like the Citizen eco drive range - skyhawk.
    I will try Dublin tomorrow and see what suits me as i am 6Ft2 and skinny, so a big watch might not look the best.

Thanks again

Hello.

The original Skyhawk AT in either stainless steel or titanium should be pretty easy to find around Dublin - it's a high-profile model and very popular.

If you prefer one of the variants of this watch like the new Red Arrows versions, they will be less common but still reasonably widely available. In addition to the one shown at that webite link above, there is a newer titanium bracelet Red Arrows Skyhawk AT which is not yet up on the website.

If you like Skyhawk AT because of its radio controlled feature, you may also want to consider the new Perpetual Calendar AT.

You'll find a retailer list here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Calcul, while your information is appreciated, it's getting close to advertising one brand, which is not on, unless said brand gets into an advertising arrangement with Boards.ie. Hope you understand. Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CALCUL

Wibbs wrote: »
    Calcul, while your information is appreciated, it's getting close to advertising one brand, which is not on, unless said brand gets into an advertising arrangement with Boards.ie. Hope you understand. Thanks

Wibbs, in fairness I have only commented in direct response to questions about Citizen watches where the original poster has mentioned the brand before I have. I have not offered an opinion that someone should buy Citizen over another brand - tempted as I may be to do so! :D

You have removed my contact details above, which is fine. I only included them by means of authenticating my identification and being "up front" about why I might recommend Citizen, so that other posters about would know my connection to the brand. I did not want to hide this connection or tried to pass myself off as a consumer in any way as I feel that would go against the spirit of the forum - not to mention going against the forum charter.

I understand that there's a fine line between providing product information and going into "sales mode", so I do of course appreciate the general intent behind your post. Please see my PM for further comments on this. Thanks.

Advertisement