Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive not detectable ANYWHERE

Options
  • 09-12-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Well title says it. I checked BIOS, my computer, device manager, etc., nothing. I was advised that it has some issue with 'ownership' or something. I would like to do something with its setup or something but I can't because it can't be detected anywhere.

(A little confession)- it fell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Check the pins on the hard disk. Is it set to Master, Slave or Cable detect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Paulw wrote: »

Sorry what pins? On the hard drive itself? Where can I find that?

On the hard drive, normally beside the connectors. There should be an indication on the case how to set the pins - master, slave, cable select.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I think it's safe to assume that the OP is using a SATA hard drive. There won't be any pins.

If it's sata, then the OP has a big problem. Maybe a dead disk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is there any mechanical sound coming out of drive?

If not, check your connection from mobo to disk itself. Change power supply connection to other one. Then check cable itself too.

You can try other machine just to make sure.

maki wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume that the OP is using a SATA hard drive. There won't be any pins.
    It is sata.
    If it's sata, then the OP has a big problem. Maybe a dead disk.
    Yeah you're most likely right.
    Is there any mechanical sound coming out of drive?

If not, check your connection from mobo to disk itself. Change power supply connection to other one. Then check cable itself too.

You can try other machine just to make sure.

I really could hardly hear a thing, although I can't hear anything from my other drives either(PC's a bit loud). changed around 2 sata cables, changed around 2 sata power cables.

I actually know that the computer SORTA detects it. When I don't have it plugged in, everything's fine. When I plug it in, it takes more time to 'detect drive' thing(done in BIOS startup thing), and it sorta freezes on the boot logo screen(but it goes on after a while). And strangely, I can't access to any wifi routers when it's plugged in too. REALLY STRANGE. And I also tried to look at it on a partition manager, but it's not there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Get one of these jobbies: http://www.apdrives.com/
    and if you can connect to it with that at least you can recover your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

(A little confession)- it fell.
    Sounds like that did it. Is there any sound of spinning up, you will have to put your ear to it. Heads could be stuck/damaged. Try tapping it while powered off. That delay on power up is a bad sign. Check again in the bios that it is definitely not disabled. If it is not showing in there then you are probably not going to get much further. Turn off the bios logo to see what bios is reporting during power up. You could try a sata to usb adapter to see if that can get at it. You could try in another pc or give up if there is no data worth rescueing.
    If it spins there are some tools that might be able to interrogate the drive.

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    Sounds like that did it. Is there any sound of spinning up, you will have to put your ear to it. Heads could be stuck/damaged. Try tapping it while powered off. That delay on power up is a bad sign. Check again in the bios that it is definitely not disabled. If it is not showing in there then you are probably not going to get much further. Turn off the bios logo to see what bios is reporting during power up. You could try a sata to usb adapter to see if that can get at it. You could try in another pc or give up if there is no data worth rescueing.
    If it spins there are some tools that might be able to interrogate the drive.

It's actually a new drive. It was basically given to me due to some reasons. But there IS some capacity that I'd like to use. It's a 1TB drive.

LIFE!!!!!

I hear it making a beep noise. When it's plugged in(both power and data cable), I hear a beep noise. Just about 1 every 1 second. It's definitely not in the BIOS though, checked that again, not even disabled or anything, I just don't see it there anywhere.

what drive is it? make/model? Is there a beep pattern or just single beep?

what drive is it? make/model? Is there a beep pattern or just single beep?

Well it is a beep pattern. About 1 beep every 1 second. It doesn't stop. It's a seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1TB drive. Couldn't really see anything else on the drive to describe what it is.

As I said you could try a little percussive maintenance. (in this case tapping in the horizontal plane to try and free the heads)

Have a read here for hd sounds info etc

As I said you could try a little percussive maintenance. (in this case tapping in the horizontal plane to try and free the heads)

Have a read here for hd sounds info etc

I have just ran Seatools for seagate devices. When the drive wasn't plugged in, quite obviously, it didn't find the drive. When i restarted, and plugged in the drive, it took quite a lot longer when seatools was scanning for drives and after that, it still didn't find the drive. nothing. I just tried that tapping the horizontal plane a bit but as far as I can see, nothing different has happened. still the same 1 beep/second(it isn't loud actually). that's it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i think she's bucked lad. :pac:

i think she's bucked lad. :pac:

yeah most likely but how am i ever able to know what the beep noise means? that would be my actual confirmation if she's just plain trash.

Advertisement