Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collie; incontinence

• 09-12-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Well, she is into double figures and that is starting to show. Her soft muzzle is flecked with grey now and she is losing bladder control. The path starts near the fire and ends by the door and sometimes she misses even when the door has been open. I know the feeling as I too am getting that way!
    Every port of call must have a toilet nearby. :rolleyes:

So a new mop and bucket etc is on hand...The room is floored with lino so that is fine.

And I never go into that room barefooted any more.. :eek:

And she is getting cranberry jiuce to stop any infection.

Just old age in a gentle old girl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Did you ask your vet about this, I think there are meds to help dogs with incontinence?
    Does cranberry juice not flush things through the system more and make the incontinence worse? I always thought that the way to cure/prevent infection was to drink as much fluid and cranberry as possible and that helped to flush everything through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ppink wrote: »
    Did you ask your vet about this, I think there are meds to help dogs with incontinence?
    There definitely is medication that could help her Graces, either Propalin or Incurin. A guy in here has his springer on Incurin and he said the difference was amazing in her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anniehoo wrote: »
    There definitely is medication that could help her Graces, either Propalin or Incurin. A guy in here has his springer on Incurin and he said the difference was amazing in her.

Thanks.

I googled this sometime back when this started.
    They are steroids and we were not happy with that.

There are also some bad side effects seen. The places to check are the dog forums of course, not the drug companies etc.

It is copable at present. The interesting thing is that sometimes we are out all day at markets and she never, ever pees in the house then. On days we are in it is a different story, however many times we take her out.

But what a lake when she does! lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Perhaps a vet visit to rule out the incontinence being a secondary problem to something else. Is she drinking more lately? No harm getting bloods done to check her kidneys, especially with her age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ahh the poor pet, you can get pants for dogs but they might make her upset..if she's a sensative collie but you could try them. Have you talked to the vet about a possible operation to help tighten the muscles..dunno if they do that with dogs and maybe she's too elderly to risk an anesthetic.
    If she leaks when she is lying down might be worth keeping an eye on the area so she doesn't get sore. Poor old girly, it's not nice seeing our pets become elderly especially collies because they are so lively they seem to have an extended puppyhood and are so full of beans.
    A little pro biotic yogurt might help as well.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Ahh poor baby, I have the same problem with my girl (shetland collie) she is 13 years old. It does happen to dogs as they get older, I also keep the mop handy;)

My girl has stiff bones and can't go for the usual walk she used to but she comes a little of the way at her own pace. I am giving her Nutri science Arthriaid to help this.

Those 13 years went by so fast, seems like only yesterday she was a puppy:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good news; no puddles for four days. The cranberry! It flushes out toxins etc, but is not a diuretic. That and camomile and ginger are our standbys.

Once cured a pet lamb of bloat with ginger. The vet I told that to thought it was hilarious. But we live in remote rural areaas so learn to cope, and money is very tight.

We sit lightly on vets after several bad experiences here.

And this all saves eg antibiotics for more serious issues. Which is good.

All else is fine with her so we shall see. I am adding a little cranberry to her warm feed at night; she eats so fast she does not notice. It is just like myself; need to go urgently more often!

We think she is 11-12.

Thanks, everyone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like it could of been an infection after all, if it was physical the muscles would weaken over time the cranberry juice would of clears out the system but not done anything for her muscle tone. That's good news, I'm a firm believer in Cammomile and cammonile tea it's great stuff.

Advertisement